Sign in to follow this  
PWB

BUICK Is a beauty....

On 10/28/2017 at 11:03 AM, PWB said:

Installed her vanity mirror.

I wanted to share this because the surprise for me was that the hidden mount holes were already present under the fabric. No fasteners on the A side.

50 years in the waiting and a snap to install!

Beauty.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

Paul,

Does the edge of the mirror have a "soft" surround?? Thanks,

Tom

• Like 1

I bought my '63 from the original owner who had a lot of "dealer accessories" on the car - purse hook, carpet savers and handy mats (white I might add), and a vanity mirror to name a few.  The vanity mirror is a clip on and I'm sure it was new in 1963.

. . . thanks for the input TOM, the same thoughts probably hold true for just about all of the accessory items for the different model years.

Tissue Dispensers, Compasses,  Litter Baskets, and Trailer Hitches come to mind, as well as a few others.

FYI TOM - No soft surround on the '68-'69 stud type visor vanity mirror, they are metal.

( . . . simply a rolled edge on the metal backing material).

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

I bought my '63 from the original owner who had a lot of "dealer accessories" on the car - purse hook, carpet savers and handy mats (white I might add), and a vanity mirror to name a few.  The vanity mirror is a clip on and I'm sure it was new in 1963.

White floor mats???

13 hours ago, PWB said:

I'm giving them away.

Rodney, I think an earlier version, like Mikes above, befits your generation. BUICK in cursive.

But I'm not an expert.

Hi Paul,

wow that is a generous offer. However, I think it would be best if it went to an owner who could use it, especially as it has the studs on the rear. I would need to remove those etc and it would be a shame to destroy it. So I will pass on it as  I'm happy to keep looking. 

Many thanks

Rodney

Paul,

A very generous offer.

I would very much like the stud type mirror.

Kindly contact me with/for shipping information.

Thank you very much!

Jim Vesely

13 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

I would love to see a pic of the box and a part number

I threw away the box, sorry.

Hello All,

I did some research re the visor vanity mirrors. I used the single year (as opposed to multi-year) Buick Parts Books (BPB) which are generally very reliable and also referenced the full size 8 1/2 by 11 single year Buick Accessory Catalogs (BAC) which are not as reliable but are still helpful in some cases. Below is an abbreviated rundown of the research...

`63 BPB   #980094

`64 BPB   same as above

`65 BPB   same................but described as `63 thru `65

`66 BPB   same.................described as "all"

`67 BPB   #981274     The `67 BAC describes this as "clips on back of visor" and the illustration shows what is obviously the #980094 mirror. However, one must keep in mind the BAC`s are very often outdated re their descriptions and illustrations so the change in part # in `67 sends a red flag but is not an absolute in determining whether there was an actual change in the part in question. A change in part # can be due to several factors, ie, a revision/engineering in the part or a different supplier so for all intents and purposes what appears to be the same part can carry 2 different part numbers.

`68 BPB   #981274    The `68 BAC contains the same description and illustration as the `67 BAC but we know, from the engineering drawings and the listed applications in the NOS kit Paul has pictured, that the kit which carries this part number is the stud attached style. Keep in mind, as I stated in a previous post, the engineering drawings and listed application in the NOS install instructions are VERY reliable.

`69  All I have for `69 is the glovebox BAC which does not list a part #  However, by `69 Buick revised the text description to say the visor mirror "mounts" to the back of the visor, so they dropped the descriptive term "clips".

At this point I think it is safe to say the #980094 vanity mirror is the clip on style and is correct for the `63 through `66 models.

The change in part # in `67, #981274, indicates the stud type mirror is correct for `67 , `68 and `69 based on most evidence although the clincher for me would be to find an NOS mirror kit which references the `67 models in the application. The fact that the `67 sunvisors are prepunched for installation of the stud type mirror seems to support the assumption the stud type mirror is "correct" for `67.

The `70 BAC lists another part# change! In `70 the # changes to #981521...here we go!? Hope this helps,

Tom Mooney

• Like 2

On 10/31/2017 at 11:01 PM, Rivdrivn said:

White floor mats???

Yes!! Ed brought this to my attention a handful of years ago and at the time I suspected the mats may have been a carryover from a `50`s Buick...but if memory serves me I found a listing for white floor mats in the `63 Buick Parts Book. I have NEVER run across such floor mats in spite of many, many junkyard runs in my youth in which I specifically targeted floor mats...holy Buick/Cadillac!

Tom

• Like 1

Thank you Mr. Mooney. I love the history. To be a fly on the wall in the design/engineering room.

I'd like to think the '68 BPB was availed in late '67?

And white floor mats?

Talk about walking on egg shells...

We need photos

(I sent both my spare mirrors to fellow members, sorry if you missed out.)

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

. . . thanks for the  update Mr. Tom, your research on the visor mirrors will educate us all !

13 hours ago, PWB said:

Thank you Mr. Mooney. I love the history. To be a fly on the wall in the design/engineering room.

I'd like to think the '68 BPB was availed in late '67?

And white floor mats?

Talk about walking on egg shells...

We need photos

(I sent both my spare mirrors to fellow members, sorry if you missed out.)

Hi Paul,

Yes, the `68 parts book would have been available initially in late `67 (there were generally several editions thruout the model year) but that would be typical for the automotive cycle, ie, the automotive model year is not identical with the calendar year...so I dont think the calendar year is significant unless one is considering early versus late model year inconsistencies.

I asked whether the stud type vanity mirror had a "padded" edge because Buick added extra padding to the sun visors for `67 versus the `66 style, due to a huge emphasis on safety in `67.  I thought that may have prompted a change away from the `66 clip on style visor vanity mirror...but it appears the correct `67 mirror has a metal edge. Interesting to note the `67 rear view mirror which had a padded edge versus the `66 inside rear view mirror. Perhaps the "clips" were eliminated and the studs with female retainers were substituted as an accompaniment to the `67 safety goals?

Missed out? I procured quite a stash of these mirrors at swap meets in the `80`s and I suspect they will be found somewhere in Tom`s Buick Abyss after my demise...that was before Ebay, when one had to be Buick dedicated !... sifting thru disorganized cardboard boxes at hot, sweaty swap meets... getting to know the unsung heros who knew their "stuff" thru experience and NOT Google! That time period is really what I miss...lol... great that you offered your extra mirrors to the forum, fair play to `ya!

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

. . . thanks for the  update Mr. Tom, your research on the visor mirrors will educate us all !

Hi Randy,

Not so much an education as confirmation, just trying to help. Cool, detailed and useless information...God is in the details!

Tom

• Like 1