Sign in to follow this  
PWB

BUICK Is a beauty....

Installed her vanity mirror.

I wanted to share this because the surprise for me was that the hidden mount holes were already present under the fabric. No fasteners on the A side.

50 years in the waiting and a snap to install!

Beauty.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

These days some would think that factory mirror sexist as it assumes the woman is in the passenger seat!!!!!   Can't even say something nice these days without getting nixed.

Thanks for posting this Mr. Paul - have an NOS mirror, but never mounted it as I didn't want to poke holes and damage the sun visor!

Some of these 'BUICK is a beauty too' vanity mirrors came with spring steel clips attached instead of the stud style mounts, with the plastic inserts.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

46 minutes ago, 68RIVGS said:

Thanks for posting this Mr. Paul - have an NOS mirror, but never mounted it as I didn't want to poke holes and damage the sun visor!

Some of these 'BUICK is a beauty too' vanity mirrors came with spring steel clips attached instead of the stud style mounts, with the plastic inserts.

I got one of those too! Use it for the booger check. :blink:

Just use a small sewing pin to find the holes. No damage that way.

17 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

I`m curious if the "correct" `67 mirror is the clip on? It would seem that if the holes are punched in the visor already that the above style mirror is correct for `67? I could check accessory catalogs if anyone else is curious,

Tom

• Like 1

Tom, per the '68 Parts Manual - Mirror, Sun Visor Vanity, Gr. 10.195 #981274 shows application '63 -'68, all - and I believe that may be the clip on  style?

From the boxed NOS stud type I have, Vanity Mirror, Gr. 10.195 # 981521, and per the installation sheet in the box, as shown in Paul's post above shows '68-'69 models only ?

. . . I'm curious !  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Where can I get one, they look magic! Think Jo would be impressed too!

They sometimes appear on 'evilBay' Buick listings from time to time Rodney.

Originally, they were available as a Buick dealer 'over the counter' accessory in the parts dept. back in the day.

3 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

Tom, per the '68 Parts Manual - Mirror, Sun Visor Vanity, Gr. 10.195 #981274 shows application '63 -'68, all - and I believe that may be the clip on  style?

From the boxed NOS stud type I have, Vanity Mirror, Gr. 10.195 # 981521, and per the installation sheet in the box, as shown in Paul's post above shows '68-'69 models only ?

. . . I'm curious !  

I have the mount holes on both my '67 visors. I had my drill motor ready to go but didn't need it.

Perhaps the line geared up for the mirrors but the Buick logo mirrors missed the boats for '67.

I believe the E body visors were interchangeable with some GM cousins?

OPGI sells an Olds for '67 on up:

C241094-lrg.jpg

Mr. Tom will get it sorted out Mr. Paul - not doubting the holes were in your '67 visors ! :)

I bought the same NOS mirror from the Buick Farm about 200 years ago for a 68 that I had. Sold the car and never put the mirror on. I have since installed it on my 70, which to my pleasant surprise, had the holes already in the visor as Paul described. I too located them with a sewing pin.

Mitch

17 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

This one came on my very original, low mileage 1950 Special

I have two extra 1966+ period mirrors.

ROA gets first dibs.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PWB said:

I have two extra 1966+ period mirrors.

ROA gets first dibs.

Hi Paul,

can you send me a photo please, am interested for my '63

thanks

Rodney

6 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi Paul,

can you send me a photo please, am interested for my '63

thanks

Rodney

Here ya go bud.

Not period correct for your year? Not mint but very good drivers.

Mirror Back.JPG

Mirror Front.JPG

PA310108.JPG

PA310111.JPG

Phrase.JPG

• Like 2

Hi Paul,

I am interested in one of the mirrors.

From the images, it appears the reflective surfaces are in very good condition.  Hope this is an accurate statement?

Please let me know the price you are asking for whatever mirror(s) is now available.

Thank you.

Jim Vesely

BCA # 39477

ROA # 7437.

Thanks for that. Nice mirror in good condition and nice slogan too!

So when you are saying not period correct, does that mean there was a different version for 63?

If so, wonder what the differences could be? Perhaps how it fits to the visor?

BTW were you selling this one, if so what were you wanting? 😀😀

43 minutes ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Thanks for that. Nice mirror in good condition and nice slogan too!

So when you are saying not period correct, does that mean there was a different version for 63?

If so, wonder what the differences could be? Perhaps how it fits to the visor?

BTW were you selling this one, if so what were you wanting? 😀😀

I'm giving them away.

Rodney, I think an earlier version, like Mikes above, befits your generation. BUICK in cursive.

But I'm not an expert.

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:52 AM, 1965rivgs said:

I`m curious if the "correct" `67 mirror is the clip on? It would seem that if the holes are punched in the visor already that the above style mirror is correct for `67? I could check accessory catalogs if anyone else is curious,

Tom

. . . waiting for you to try and sort em out Tom, there seems to be quite a selection shown here !

On 10/29/2017 at 3:45 PM, 68RIVGS said:

. . . I'm curious !  

Well, one needs to be careful with the parts book applications for accessories because they will be listed as retrofits when the "correct" styles are obsolete. For instance, it doesnt make sense  the `63 thru `68 style is a clip on when the install instructions for the stud style clearly list `68 and `69 models. Perhaps they are listing the stud type mirror as retrofitting back to the `63 models. If you check the `69 parts book you will probably find the same mirror listed as `63 thru `69 models.

I would consider the install instructions for any particular mirror to be a more accurate source of info as the drawings in the instructions are engineering drawings, used in the assembly plant assembly manuals, also the shop manuals, showing the date the drawing were done and the year and model application.

If the stud type NOS mirror instructions list `68 and `69, I would take that specification literally as factory "correct".

Tom Mooney

On 10/29/2017 at 8:05 PM, Rivdrivn said:

This one came on my very original, low mileage 1950 Special

IMG_0400.JPG

I believe this visor mirror may be late `50`s to early `60`s. Havnt checked accessory catalogs, etc...just seat of the pants guess

Tom Mooney

On 10/30/2017 at 12:31 PM, NCRiviera said:

I purchased and installed the "BUICK" clip-on in my 68.

I picked it up on Ebay in the original NOS GM box.

20171030_132547.jpg

I would love to see a pic of the box and a part number but I suspect this mirror is a mid to late `50`s mirror. The earlier `50`s mirrors were more square and the later `50`s mirrors were elongated...just like the cars!

Tom Mooney

6 hours ago, PWB said:

Here ya go bud.

Not period correct for your year? Not mint but very good drivers.

Mirror Back.JPG

Mirror Front.JPG

PA310108.JPG

PA310111.JPG

Phrase.JPG

I`m quite sure the clip on mirror is correct for first and possibly second (`66-`67) gen cars. We already know the stud type is later or right after the clip on style

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)