BUICK Is a beauty....

PWB

Installed her vanity mirror.

I wanted to share this because the surprise for me was that the hidden mount holes were already present under the fabric. No fasteners on the A side.

50 years in the waiting and a snap to install!

Beauty.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting this Mr. Paul - have an NOS mirror, but never mounted it as I didn't want to poke holes and damage the sun visor!

Some of these 'BUICK is a beauty too' vanity mirrors came with spring steel clips attached instead of the stud style mounts, with the plastic inserts.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

46 minutes ago, 68RIVGS said:

Thanks for posting this Mr. Paul - have an NOS mirror, but never mounted it as I didn't want to poke holes and damage the sun visor!

Some of these 'BUICK is a beauty too' vanity mirrors came with spring steel clips attached instead of the stud style mounts, with the plastic inserts.

I got one of those too! Use it for the booger check. :blink:

Just use a small sewing pin to find the holes. No damage that way.

17 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

I`m curious if the "correct" `67 mirror is the clip on? It would seem that if the holes are punched in the visor already that the above style mirror is correct for `67? I could check accessory catalogs if anyone else is curious,

Tom

• Like 1

Tom, per the '68 Parts Manual - Mirror, Sun Visor Vanity, Gr. 10.195 #981274 shows application '63 -'68, all - and I believe that may be the clip on  style?

From the boxed NOS stud type I have, Vanity Mirror, Gr. 10.195 # 981521, and per the installation sheet in the box, as shown in Paul's post above shows '68-'69 models only ?

. . . I'm curious !  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Where can I get one, they look magic! Think Jo would be impressed too!

They sometimes appear on 'evilBay' Buick listings from time to time Rodney.

Originally, they were available as a Buick dealer 'over the counter' accessory in the parts dept. back in the day.

3 hours ago, 68RIVGS said:

Tom, per the '68 Parts Manual - Mirror, Sun Visor Vanity, Gr. 10.195 #981274 shows application '63 -'68, all - and I believe that may be the clip on  style?

From the boxed NOS stud type I have, Vanity Mirror, Gr. 10.195 # 981521, and per the installation sheet in the box, as shown in Paul's post above shows '68-'69 models only ?

. . . I'm curious !  

I have the mount holes on both my '67 visors. I had my drill motor ready to go but didn't need it.

Perhaps the line geared up for the mirrors but the Buick logo mirrors missed the boats for '67.

I believe the E body visors were interchangeable with some GM cousins?

OPGI sells an Olds for '67 on up:

C241094-lrg.jpg

I bought the same NOS mirror from the Buick Farm about 200 years ago for a 68 that I had. Sold the car and never put the mirror on. I have since installed it on my 70, which to my pleasant surprise, had the holes already in the visor as Paul described. I too located them with a sewing pin.

Mitch

Hi Paul,

I am interested in one of the mirrors.

From the images, it appears the reflective surfaces are in very good condition.  Hope this is an accurate statement?

Please let me know the price you are asking for whatever mirror(s) is now available.

Thank you.

Jim Vesely

BCA # 39477

ROA # 7437.

Thanks for that. Nice mirror in good condition and nice slogan too!

So when you are saying not period correct, does that mean there was a different version for 63?

If so, wonder what the differences could be? Perhaps how it fits to the visor?

BTW were you selling this one, if so what were you wanting? ??

43 minutes ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Thanks for that. Nice mirror in good condition and nice slogan too!

So when you are saying not period correct, does that mean there was a different version for 63?

If so, wonder what the differences could be? Perhaps how it fits to the visor?

BTW were you selling this one, if so what were you wanting? ??

I'm giving them away.

Rodney, I think an earlier version, like Mikes above, befits your generation. BUICK in cursive.

But I'm not an expert.

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:52 AM, 1965rivgs said:

I`m curious if the "correct" `67 mirror is the clip on? It would seem that if the holes are punched in the visor already that the above style mirror is correct for `67? I could check accessory catalogs if anyone else is curious,

Tom

. . . waiting for you to try and sort em out Tom, there seems to be quite a selection shown here !

On 10/29/2017 at 3:45 PM, 68RIVGS said:

. . . I'm curious !  

Well, one needs to be careful with the parts book applications for accessories because they will be listed as retrofits when the "correct" styles are obsolete. For instance, it doesnt make sense  the `63 thru `68 style is a clip on when the install instructions for the stud style clearly list `68 and `69 models. Perhaps they are listing the stud type mirror as retrofitting back to the `63 models. If you check the `69 parts book you will probably find the same mirror listed as `63 thru `69 models.

I would consider the install instructions for any particular mirror to be a more accurate source of info as the drawings in the instructions are engineering drawings, used in the assembly plant assembly manuals, also the shop manuals, showing the date the drawing were done and the year and model application.

If the stud type NOS mirror instructions list `68 and `69, I would take that specification literally as factory "correct".

Tom Mooney

On 10/30/2017 at 12:31 PM, NCRiviera said:

I purchased and installed the "BUICK" clip-on in my 68.

I picked it up on Ebay in the original NOS GM box.

20171030_132547.jpg

I would love to see a pic of the box and a part number but I suspect this mirror is a mid to late `50`s mirror. The earlier `50`s mirrors were more square and the later `50`s mirrors were elongated...just like the cars!

Tom Mooney

6 hours ago, PWB said:

Here ya go bud.

Not period correct for your year? Not mint but very good drivers.

Mirror Back.JPG

Mirror Front.JPG

PA310108.JPG

PA310111.JPG

Phrase.JPG

I`m quite sure the clip on mirror is correct for first and possibly second (`66-`67) gen cars. We already know the stud type is later or right after the clip on style

Tom Mooney

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

On 10/28/2017 at 11:03 AM, PWB said:

Installed her vanity mirror.

I wanted to share this because the surprise for me was that the hidden mount holes were already present under the fabric. No fasteners on the A side.

50 years in the waiting and a snap to install!

Beauty.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

Paul,

Does the edge of the mirror have a "soft" surround?? Thanks,

Tom

• Like 1

I bought my '63 from the original owner who had a lot of "dealer accessories" on the car - purse hook, carpet savers and handy mats (white I might add), and a vanity mirror to name a few.  The vanity mirror is a clip on and I'm sure it was new in 1963.

. . . thanks for the input TOM, the same thoughts probably hold true for just about all of the accessory items for the different model years.

Tissue Dispensers, Compasses,  Litter Baskets, and Trailer Hitches come to mind, as well as a few others.

FYI TOM - No soft surround on the '68-'69 stud type visor vanity mirror, they are metal.

( . . . simply a rolled edge on the metal backing material).

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

I bought my '63 from the original owner who had a lot of "dealer accessories" on the car - purse hook, carpet savers and handy mats (white I might add), and a vanity mirror to name a few.  The vanity mirror is a clip on and I'm sure it was new in 1963.

White floor mats???

13 hours ago, PWB said:

I'm giving them away.

Rodney, I think an earlier version, like Mikes above, befits your generation. BUICK in cursive.

But I'm not an expert.

Hi Paul,

wow that is a generous offer. However, I think it would be best if it went to an owner who could use it, especially as it has the studs on the rear. I would need to remove those etc and it would be a shame to destroy it. So I will pass on it as  I'm happy to keep looking. 

Many thanks

Rodney

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I did some research re the visor vanity mirrors. I used the single year (as opposed to multi-year) Buick Parts Books (BPB) which are generally very reliable and also referenced the full size 8 1/2 by 11 single year Buick Accessory Catalogs (BAC) which are not as reliable but are still helpful in some cases. Below is an abbreviated rundown of the research...

`63 BPB   #980094

`64 BPB   same as above

`65 BPB   same................but described as `63 thru `65

`66 BPB   same.................described as "all"

`67 BPB   #981274     The `67 BAC describes this as "clips on back of visor" and the illustration shows what is obviously the #980094 mirror. However, one must keep in mind the BAC`s are very often outdated re their descriptions and illustrations so the change in part # in `67 sends a red flag but is not an absolute in determining whether there was an actual change in the part in question. A change in part # can be due to several factors, ie, a revision/engineering in the part or a different supplier so for all intents and purposes what appears to be the same part can carry 2 different part numbers.

`68 BPB   #981274    The `68 BAC contains the same description and illustration as the `67 BAC but we know, from the engineering drawings and the listed applications in the NOS kit Paul has pictured, that the kit which carries this part number is the stud attached style. Keep in mind, as I stated in a previous post, the engineering drawings and listed application in the NOS install instructions are VERY reliable.

`69  All I have for `69 is the glovebox BAC which does not list a part #  However, by `69 Buick revised the text description to say the visor mirror "mounts" to the back of the visor, so they dropped the descriptive term "clips".

At this point I think it is safe to say the #980094 vanity mirror is the clip on style and is correct for the `63 through `66 models.

The change in part # in `67, #981274, indicates the stud type mirror is correct for `67 , `68 and `69 based on most evidence although the clincher for me would be to find an NOS mirror kit which references the `67 models in the application. The fact that the `67 sunvisors are prepunched for installation of the stud type mirror seems to support the assumption the stud type mirror is "correct" for `67.

The `70 BAC lists another part# change! In `70 the # changes to #981521...here we go!? Hope this helps,

Tom Mooney

• Like 2

On 10/31/2017 at 11:01 PM, Rivdrivn said:

White floor mats???

Yes!! Ed brought this to my attention a handful of years ago and at the time I suspected the mats may have been a carryover from a `50`s Buick...but if memory serves me I found a listing for white floor mats in the `63 Buick Parts Book. I have NEVER run across such floor mats in spite of many, many junkyard runs in my youth in which I specifically targeted floor mats...holy Buick/Cadillac!

Tom

• Like 1

Thank you Mr. Mooney. I love the history. To be a fly on the wall in the design/engineering room.

I'd like to think the '68 BPB was availed in late '67?

And white floor mats?

Talk about walking on egg shells...

We need photos

(I sent both my spare mirrors to fellow members, sorry if you missed out.)

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

13 hours ago, PWB said:

Thank you Mr. Mooney. I love the history. To be a fly on the wall in the design/engineering room.

I'd like to think the '68 BPB was availed in late '67?

And white floor mats?

Talk about walking on egg shells...

We need photos

(I sent both my spare mirrors to fellow members, sorry if you missed out.)

Hi Paul,

Yes, the `68 parts book would have been available initially in late `67 (there were generally several editions thruout the model year) but that would be typical for the automotive cycle, ie, the automotive model year is not identical with the calendar year...so I dont think the calendar year is significant unless one is considering early versus late model year inconsistencies.

I asked whether the stud type vanity mirror had a "padded" edge because Buick added extra padding to the sun visors for `67 versus the `66 style, due to a huge emphasis on safety in `67.  I thought that may have prompted a change away from the `66 clip on style visor vanity mirror...but it appears the correct `67 mirror has a metal edge. Interesting to note the `67 rear view mirror which had a padded edge versus the `66 inside rear view mirror. Perhaps the "clips" were eliminated and the studs with female retainers were substituted as an accompaniment to the `67 safety goals?

Missed out? I procured quite a stash of these mirrors at swap meets in the `80`s and I suspect they will be found somewhere in Tom`s Buick Abyss after my demise...that was before Ebay, when one had to be Buick dedicated !... sifting thru disorganized cardboard boxes at hot, sweaty swap meets... getting to know the unsung heros who knew their "stuff" thru experience and NOT Google! That time period is really what I miss...lol... great that you offered your extra mirrors to the forum, fair play to `ya!

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2017 at 2:40 PM, PWB said:

I'm giving them away.

But I'm not an expert.

Hi Paul,

I just saw your post about the  Buick vanity mirrors you generously offered to give away.

I have a '65, so wonder if you still have one available?  It seems like the clip on style is the right one for my year.

Do you still have one?  You could send it to me in Washington State.

Cheers,

Alex