Hood hinge spring installation?`

65VerdeGS

How should the hood hinge springs be installed on early Riv's?

Mine has the hook portion facing up on the left hinge, with the hook facing down on the right hinge.  Is this correct?  Or should both be facing up, or down?

Here's a pic of the driver's side:

I suspect the open part of the spring hook should face down.  I say this because the spring on the driver's side of my car is facing up, as shown in the picture.  And, this hinge 'creaks' when I open and close the hood.  It makes a sound like the spring coils are somehow rubbing together.

Last question - how do I remove and replace the spring?  The Shop Manual shows two special tools for doing this.  Is there another way?

Thanks,

IMG_3299.JPG

1 hour ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Last question - how do I remove and replace the spring?  The Shop Manual shows two special tools for doing this.  Is there another way?

Thanks,

I had the hinge off the car and the hood.  Put it in a vise and used a pry bar to take the spring off.  To put it on, I used a brake spring tool  One of the arms has a hollowed out end on it. I used it to put the hood spring on just like you'd put a brake spring on.  Make sure the spring is relaxed before doing anything.

Image result for brake spring plier

Image result for installing brake springs

You guys are taking a simple job and making it difficult! All you have to do to install the spring is

take a piece of rope and tie it around the hook facing the front of the car, attach the rear hook of the spring onto

the hinge then pull on the rope! If you haven't eaten your Wheaties lately, grab someone else to help you pull on the rope, but

I always do it myself.....takes only a few seconds.The other methods mentioned are potentially dangerous, plus scratches

will result in the parts when using any metal devices to spread out the spring. You will be amazed how easy the rope method is.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2017 at 10:56 PM, Jim Cannon said:

To remove and replace the big spring, push nails in between multiple coils until the spring comes off.

Attached are 2 photos of Mark Uhlig's original, low miles '63; look at the springs.

Uhlig 1963 Riviera 038.JPG

Uhlig 1963 Riviera 037.JPG

Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting the photos of both hood springs on Mark's original '63.  As it turns out, the springs on my '65 are positioned exactly the same!  The open end of the hook on the driver's side is facing up, with the reverse for the passenger side.  So, it looks like the spring positioning isn't the reason for the creaking sound I'm getting from the driver's side spring. 

That brings up the question - What should I use to lubricate the hinge and spring assembly?

58 minutes ago, 65VerdeGS said:

That brings up the question - What should I use to lubricate the hinge and spring assembly?

I put 90-140w gear oil in a squirt can and drip it at each pivot, work hood up and down, drip a little more. Some use spray grease but in my opinion it does not penetrate deep enough to thoroughly lubricate the pins. The oil works in sort of a capillary action effect. You may need to wipe off a little excess.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1