Deep Discount for STANDARD CATALOG 1805-1942

John_S_in_Penna

I was on the computer the other day and discovered that

the highly respected book, Standard Catalog of American Cars 1805-1942,

is being discounted tremendously.  It is now $18.75 a copy from

the publisher, marked down from $74.00.

I called and ordered a few copies--one for myself (since I had an

older edition) and a couple for future gifts to fellow club members.

The clerk on the phone said that the quantity available is still healthy:  

a few hundred copies remain.

You might recall that when this 1600-page softbound book was

previously out of print, used copies were bringing $200, so well respected

is this volume.  As the title implies, it covers cars before World War II.

I have no involvement in this other than being a customer.

You can call the Old Cars Weekly bookstore at 1-855-842-5268.

I think this is an excellent opportunity!

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up John.  To those not aware this is THE definitive reference book for prewar car histories, especially for forgotten "orphan" cars not normally covered elsewhere.  For example if you enjoy the "What is it?" photos of obscure early cars this is the place to learn the company stories.  The authors were the best the old car hobby has ever had and they even have a chart by city and state to see if there were any forgotten cars built in your town.  The best $20 book value ever if this type of thing sounds interesting to you, Todd C

I have never seen it in hardback, even the earliest editions;

or any other "Standard Catalog" for that matter.

In the book-making industry, there are different levels of 

quality for making paper-back books.  The cheapest will

fall apart after some use;  but these must be well made,

since in all my use I have never had a problem.

• Like 1

My copy sez Krause Pub. First  edition, first printing,  but I've always assumed it's a cheap knockoff of the original...

All the  text is good, but many photos weak and washed out...has Int'l Standard Book Number 0-87341-045-0

Believe purchased years ago at one of the discount book chains no longer extant (Daltons??); probably 25-30 copies stacked on table..

Inside fromt cover discount coupon for Vol II Std Cat Amer Cars 1946-1975, reduced from $19.95 to $16.95, and other offers........

15 hours ago, Buick64C said:

Anyone know how different the current edition is from the previous? I think I have the 1st edition at home.

I don't know the specifics of this book, but usually

with advanced editions, errors are corrected, results

of further research are included, and additional information

may be supplied.  If you just read for casual enjoyment,

your earlier edition may suit you well.

• Like 1

Great fun just reading thru the Standard Catalog. Who knew there were cars named Vim and Vigor? Sadly no Vitality. Only once have we been approached about restoring a car I had never heard of so I quickly dove into the Catalog while still on the phone with the potential customer. Sure enough there it was, a 1909 ONLY, one of 14 built.

Bev Kimes and Austin Clark were very close friends of mine and Austin lived about 16 miles north of my house. I was around when they were researching /writing this book the first time around. Editions after the first copy were updated with additional makes of cars not listed in the first one, and any errors/omissions corrected. Austin and I used to go to the AACA annual meeting together and I ran the slide projector for him when he and George Norton gave their talk at the Truck Seminar . I worked for Austin as his librarian full time for about 2 years in the 1970s, we would go to Society of Automotive Historians meetings together etc. as well.

Coated paper stock lets images/photos be reproduced better then non coated paper stock, but is more expensive to use and would have nearly increased the thickness of the book by a third if it had been used due to the thickness of the paper. Chet Krause was the publisher

• Like 3

I've had my First Edition First Printing copy since new, bet it was a Christmas gift from Aunt Betty, she always gave me an old car book for Christmas. Guess a new copy would be in order if there is updated information in it. The steam powered  Ingersoll mentioned on page 705 did exist and drove down Main Street in Ridgefield, Ct in the 1970's. What  may have been the only Hollister, page 650 built in 1914 serial #1 was licensed her in Ridgefield back in 1919. It is good to share this info I've had for years. 

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my copy of this printing and it is the poorest edition I have ever seen. Yes, it has more information on rare makes and additional information on others, but the photographs that have been reprinted are so dark in some cases and fuzzy in others that they are not anything like those printed in the earlier editions. This newest edition is on its way back to the supplier in todays mail. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!

• Like 1

I got the 3 copies I recently ordered,

and I will say, the photo quality is not nearly

as good as in the 2nd edition I have.

If you compare them directly, you can see.

The pictures are darker and mushier in the

newest printing, and I think it really detracts

from an otherwise superb reference.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

The pictures aren't great but given the nature of the book it doesn't bother me - you won't get a lot of detail even if the pictures were better. You want great pictures use google or some of the other resources.

Very happy with my purchase - it is an incredible reference.

I don't think you can find accurately

identified illustrations of certain obscure cars 

on Google.  Some of the pictures in this latest

edition are dark and mushy enough that you can't

see the hood louvers in a side view of the car.

If anyone saw what the pictures are SUPPOSED 

to be like, in an earlier edition or printing, he would

be dismayed.  Some I call barely acceptable;

others are worse.  Imagine reading newspaper

photos without your eyeglasses. 

I NOW THINK THE BOOK IS WORTH NO MORE

THAN THEIR $18.75 ASKING PRICE.

As a recently retired printer, I know how easily poor reproduction of photos can happen. Two different pressman can have wildly different quality depending on how they set up the press (pressures, ink quantity, blanket washes, plate condition, etc.) and if the pre-press work isn't done correctly or if old plates or damaged negatives were used that would only compound the problem. I just purchased one of these new editions myself and wasn't pleased with the printing quality. I am, however, ecstatic at the content! Well worth the 20 bucks.

• Like 1

I spoke today with the main editor of one of their

car publications.  He wasn't aware of the problem,

and his copy looked okay to him.  (He didn't have

access to the newest print run, as he was in a different state.)

He said the later run(s) was (were) done by scanning,

since they no longer had the original materials used for

printing in 2001.  Also, the relatively short print run was

put out to bid.  Those factors may account for the lower quality.

But if you've never seen this book, the reading is excellent,

and you'll get your $18.75 worth.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes, the content doesn't change so the information given is still valuable. The original images (be they photographs or period print material) were done when there was no scanned material.

Austin Clark made 4 x 5 sheet film negatives of every image he supplied. He had a setup in the basement of his house to copy photographs and printed material on film that he loaded and the sent out to be developed. Those 4 x 5 sheet film negatives could be blown up to any size with perfect clarity.

Scanning is good - all the articles I write for CCCA or HCC have scanned (at 600 dpi) images be they photographs or printed material, but all come off the original period stuff.

By doing that you aren't loosing resolution, with each generation down the road you copy what has already been printed you loose a bit and this seems to be what has happened.