1964 Riviera rear brake parts

ljp602

I am new to the riviera owners group. I have a 1964 riv and a problem with the brakes. In trying to get to the bottom of the problem I have come up with a parts question. The drivers side rear was assembled with a wrong size shoe and came apart with the hardware parts floating around in the drum. When i opened it up and realized what had been done, I gathered all the parts and figured that i would get away with a hardware kit and new proper size shoes. Well turns out, a little 3 armed clip, part of the self adjust mechanism had been floating around in the drum long enough to have the usefull ends ground off. I can't really find anywhere where this part is named so I am stuck. Anyone know of a vendor that would sell this little part or am I faced with going the junk yard route. It looks to me like this part was used on other gm vehicle of the day but not 100% sure it is identical Any input would sure be appreciated.

Are you talking about the flat metal piece that rides on top of the brake adjuster and pushes

on the adjuster teeth to tighten the brakes? If so, that should be available in a brake adjuster hardware kit

from an Auto Supply.

I know the piece you mean but that is not the piece that I am looking for . The part I want is the part that connects to the piece you mentioned. Please see photo attached that shows the piece i have. Note that one of the three points on it has been worn or torn off. I have found brake adjuster kits for other cars that have piece that look like this but can not find brake adjuster kits for 64 rivieras. Maybe I have just not found the right suppliers.

20171025_171835[1].jpg

If regular parts stores can't come up with this piece, you might try contacting Kanter Auto parts in New Jersey and see if they offer it.

If they don't have it you might need to contact some of the guys who part out early Rivieras who regularly advertise in the Riview.

Thanks, I have a kit coming so will soon know if it is the same when I get it. Through this whole experience I did learn some interesting things. Riviera's have 12 inch drum brakes and these are not that common. I expect size of drum will allow for some pretty good stopping power.   Tom Mooney, saw your note and that is exactly what i need. Now I even have the part number.  Will wait to see if the kit I already have ordered will work and if it does not, I now have the real deal solution. Thanks All, What a great resouce you guys are.

Back in the mid 50's, the 12" brakes on the rears of the full sized models had the wider shoes that our '60's models now have on the front.  Tom T told me how to add wider shoes to the our Rivieras by swapping out the rear backing plates for the 50's plates and doing some machine work to a set of aluminum front drums.  I've got the parts, but it's been so long since Tom told me what to do,  I only remember the basics. 

Perhaps he'll clarify the process and parts needed if he reads this.

Ed

Be forewarned: if you get a generic "drum brake kit", it will not have all of the springs, clips, etc. you need to reassemble your brakes.  If you're the kind of guy who throws old hardware away, don't do it until you're sure you've got replacement parts.

• Haha 1