Sign in to follow this  
Imperial62

1991 White and Flame Red

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/d/1991-buick-reatta/6342595074.html

White with Flame Red interior, 1991. 

91' Reatta 140,000 miles summer of 2016 it got new pads and rotors in the front, new pads rotors and calipers in rear trans was flushed and of course oil and filter. I started it this spring to take it out of storage and after running for about ten minutes it died. Fuel pump appears to not be working as I had the pressure checked and it's zero. Car is in nice condition with very minimal rust red interior in great shape, headliner is droopy, sunroof, decent tires I have $2600 into this car, I do not want to work on it anymore would rather not store it another winter. probably needs a fuel pump or maybe something even easier. would trade for another car-full size GM w/ 3800 motor or? would also trade for a motorcycle- street, dirt or dual sport, prefer Honda, or for a tractor Farmall M or larger, firewood in lengths or cut/split also open to cash offers. clean title in my name

Posted by Jake, not mine.   Minneapolis CL, no phone number.  1991. I like the white rub strips. Monochromatic for sure, and flame red (or whatever that color is called).  There can't be too many of these out there.  Too bad this one looks headed for the scrapper. 

11 hours ago, Imperial62 said:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/d/1991-buick-reatta/6342595074.html

White with Flame Red interior, 1991. 

91' Reatta 140,000 miles summer of 2016 it got new pads and rotors in the front, new pads rotors and calipers in rear trans was flushed and of course oil and filter. I started it this spring to take it out of storage and after running for about ten minutes it died. Fuel pump appears to not be working as I had the pressure checked and it's zero. Car is in nice condition with very minimal rust red interior in great shape, headliner is droopy, sunroof, decent tires I have $2600 into this car, I do not want to work on it anymore would rather not store it another winter. probably needs a fuel pump or maybe something even easier. would trade for another car-full size GM w/ 3800 motor or? would also trade for a motorcycle- street, dirt or dual sport, prefer Honda, or for a tractor Farmall M or larger, firewood in lengths or cut/split also open to cash offers. clean title in my name

Posted by Jake, not mine.   Minneapolis CL, no phone number.  1991. I like the white rub strips. Monochromatic for sure, and flame red (or whatever that color is called).  There can't be too many of these out there.  Too bad this one looks headed for the scrapper. 

I believe I read somewhere that there were only 19 produced with flame red interior/white exterior for 1991.  I have one, but mine has the black rub strip.

DShip. Thanks for the numbers  but no thanks for the number. I keep buying cars!

I would guesstimate 2-3 reatta a month like this are getting scrapped  I could pick up one a month 

• Like 1

I've never seen the forum so dead. The last person out turn off the lights!  The 88 Black and Tan in Colorado is an imminently restorable car and I could pick it up for $800.  Or someone could in Colorado.  Nice interior, nice color combination.  The only reason I would not keep complete is because of the SS.   

The 1991 White and Flame Red car here is very rare and in an age of mostly tan or grey interiors in modern cars - is visually interesting. Not only did they make only 1200 or so 1991's but this appears to be a 1 of 17 or so.  Assume at least half or more of those are gone, this is likely 1 of 7 or 8 left.

5 to 10 years ago this car would find a buyer in a week. Imagine a 1 of 17 1970 Skylark GS getting crushed for lack of interest. 

I have pretty much gone to "lurker" status. I am happier over at a different website that deals with Reattas.

Regarding the Reattas you have found, I can't use another one having 3 already

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Dave I wasn't including you of course.  I understand there are a lot of lurkers on here.  Just trying to save another Reatta is all.  I really like this car.  There was a red / tan 1991 for sale in Iowa about 4 months ago.  I have bought 3 Reattas in 4 months, so not sure I need another project is all.  Once you get too many, then they start to get neglected.  Both of my 88's need attention. I have decided to start restoration on the Red/Tan this weekend, should take 2-3 years. Hopefully not, mostly due to needing to budget. 

The black Select 60 is at least safe.  It was headed nowhere. It would have sat another winter.  I am sure my daughter could drive it, but the heat/CRT is not working and I don't have time to diagnose and get fixed.  Sad part is, I will probably end up getting her a Honda Civic or such.

Back in Dec 2015 (23 months) the info obtained from R.L. Polk indicated 7659 Reatta registered in the US.

Do the math and that tells us the Reatta pool has shrunk by 75%

I tried back in June to get an update but my contact was out of town and never responded to my message...that may be the last "official" number we ever see.

1991 Reattas are rare because of their low production compared to the other years.

Going back to the Polk info....at that time only 579 of the 1991 Reattas were registered (both coupes and convertibles)

At first glance that shows a reduction of 62% but that is a bad number for 1991...as most Reatta collectors know, there were 305 convertibles made but only about 247 were registered.

If you use the 1991 total build number of 1519 that needs to be reduced by 58 to 1461 ....that changes 1991 from 62% to 60% off the roads.

The other thing to remember ...Polk number is registered Reattas....if cars are in collections or tucked away in a garage, unregistered, waiting until the value goes up, they are not counted.

Bottom line, all Reattas are rare compared to most cars made in that period. Now with 75% off the roads they are getting harder to find, fewer nice cars are coming up for sale.

So if you are in the market for a nice Reatta, now is a good time to throw your hat into the ring.......they are going to get harder to find, parts are going to get harder to find, and maybe prices will start creeping up.

All of the above is probably why this site is seeing a drop in activity........the people that purchased Reattas because they were plentiful and cheap and used them as everyday drivers are going away.

I believe we are at a point where people fold.......those looking for a cheap ride will look elsewhere.......leaving us loyal Reatta owner to carry on the fight....good luck to all the faithful.

Hi Barney.

There is one in my garage.

Being in Canada it won't show up Polk.

Also a lurker.

Cal.

7 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Back in Dec 2015 (23 months) the info obtained from R.L. Polk indicated 7659 Reatta registered in the US.

Do the math and that tells us the Reatta pool has shrunk by 75%

I tried back in June to get an update but my contact was out of town and never responded to my message...that may be the last "official" number we ever see.

1991 Reattas are rare because of their low production compared to the other years.

Going back to the Polk info....at that time only 579 of the 1991 Reattas were registered (both coupes and convertibles)

At first glance that shows a reduction of 62% but that is a bad number for 1991...as most Reatta collectors know, there were 305 convertibles made but only about 247 were registered.

If you use the 1991 total build number of 1519 that needs to be reduced by 58 to 1461 ....that changes 1991 from 62% to 60% off the roads.

The other thing to remember ...Polk number is registered Reattas....if cars are in collections or tucked away in a garage, unregistered, waiting until the value goes up, they are not counted.

Bottom line, all Reattas are rare compared to most cars made in that period. Now with 75% off the roads they are getting harder to find, fewer nice cars are coming up for sale.

So if you are in the market for a nice Reatta, now is a good time to throw your hat into the ring.......they are going to get harder to find, parts are going to get harder to find, and maybe prices will start creeping up.

All of the above is probably why this site is seeing a drop in activity........the people that purchased Reattas because they were plentiful and cheap and used them as everyday drivers are going away.

I believe we are at a point where people fold.......those looking for a cheap ride will look elsewhere.......leaving us loyal Reatta owner to carry on the fight....good luck to all the faithful.

You made some good points Barney.  On the flip side for the Reatta faithful, as car parts will get harder to find, if a Reatta is your everyday driver, you may want to convert it to your weekend driver. Less Reatta parts = more expensive to maintain (for a car whose value remains the same or slowly diminishes).

The "beater" Reatta is almost gone and traffic on the forum reflects this. There are few "couragous" Reatta owners that try to drive their cars daily and I applaud them. These cars were made to be driven and will last a long time with not much more then regular maintainence.

The thing to remember about a car that most of us believe will not appreciate, is why not drive it, what are you losing?  Leave a car that has very little following in a garage to look at and one day after you can't drive anymore just to have a family member sell it because no one in the family wants it [unless it is a convertible].

So you guys keep your miles low, and I will drive mine into the ground and one day if my health holds up, maybe I will buy yours and thank you for storing it for me as I drive off.

I think most Reattas are registered. It takes a really rare and collectible car to stay unregistered. 

My 1988's have higher mileage but I am restoring them. I am not interested in having these cars for 15 + years in their present condition. It's fun to restore, it's manageable on a Reatta as opposed to huge heavy, and long older Buicks.

Barney - I think we need an update from Polk. I personally know of 4 Reattas scrapped in the past 6 months.  Not close enough that I could grab parts. 

Both of my 1988's, which both run and drive well, start right up - had zero buyers, except me.  The 1991 White / Flame Red is really struggling to find a buyer because it does not run, is in rural Minnesota. 

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/d/1991-buick-reatta/6364350438.html

The Reatta ad had been deleted by the seller, so I thought it had sold. I went back onto do my weekly CL searches and found it again.  My other worry was he sent it to the scrap yard but he states he has $2600 in it, which I believe (we all do, right) so just letting a yard get it for $200 is unlikely. 

I sent him a follow up email stating I was interested and hinted at my offer and how I might pay, but got no reply.  I have parts to buy for the 88's, but I probably sounded like a playa' to him.  :)