1950 Cadillac Coupe Barn Find.

Guest myold88

Guest myold88

Just pulled from a garage in Hartford Ct after 50 years storage. Last driven in 1967. Unmolested 90% rust free Coupe. Original paint and everything else. Owner is now working to get it started and sevviced. It should clean up nice or make a easy Winter project. Contact Paul Steven @ 860 236-4556.

IMG_1028.JPG

IMG_1029.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

Guest myold88

Paul is not looking for big bucks. Open to offers. He's not a car collector. That upper trunk area rust is from a leak in the garage where it was stored. It's only surface rust. The rest of the car is pretty much rust free.  I'm told the floors are solid- It's a solid car. Great interior and even the dealer installed seat covers are on the seats. Nice interior!  Nice factory paint except for the darker area shown on the left 1/4 panel. This is a nice original car.

Guest myold88

A Mr D. Fox and others are contacting me personally re this Cadillac.  As noted above please contact the owner Paul Steben or his mechanic Paul Z with any questions. The car is located at 307 Park Rd, West Hartford, Ct. where it can be inspected. The phone number is 860 236-4556. Paul Steben is not asking a lot for this car and is open to offers. 

Guest myold88

Yes. 860 236-4556 is Steben Motors Auto body. Opens 8:00 AM to 5:pm EDT. I'll try to get some additional photos tomorrow if I'm in the area. If you look at the rear photo above, you can see the excellent body to trim/bumper alignment of this car. The front is the same way- Appears to never have been damaged with original paint, except for that older left 1/4 repair/paint.

Wow, note the condition of the CT license plate; car sure looks solid.  I know Paul, his shop has been in operation for 50 years or more as a local family business.  I can say these guys are straight shooters.  If I had to guess, a customer decided it was time to sell it, or estate, etc.  We would see this on occasion at the garage I worked at down the street from Steben's years ago, and as they say, they are still out thete!   Very tempting as it could look like this one from Chocolate field earlier this month. 

20171005_095452.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Guest myold88

Here's some additional photos taken AM today. Interior & dash & headliner are all in excellent condition. Needs cleaning as far as I can tell.  Again very solid complete Cadillac. The mileage at about 66,000 appears original.  Won't last. 

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

I wish I could but it's on the wrong coast for me. I'm very familiar with this model. I had a 51 for nearly 20 years. Very easy to work on for the most part.

2 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

Nice!! My dads 1950 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 4dr(I wish is was a hard-top)has also been in storage since 1967.  Tom

Sorry, that's not a de Ville. First Sedan de Ville was in 1956. De Ville is just a sub model of the 62 series.

Guest myold88

Car sold yesterday. Calls came in from around the country and overseas. It's amazing how much interest and money an original solid untouched barn find can bring. Of course a beautiful Cadillac coupe helps. 

Edited by myold88 (see edit history)

Guest myold88

^^^ Sorry, It's not my place to say not being the buyer or seller.... More than anyone would think. And the money had changed hands- It's sold !

Guest myold88

^^^ I agree. It would have been a great buy at 4-5K but there's some serious money out there competing against us average Joes.

That's why I always like to know a price up front.  No sense in bothering if my budget were to be the say 4-5G  and the guy wants 10 or more.   Even millionaires have a budget and price they will pay in mind.  Thus the reason we like a price posted when someone lists a car on here for sale.  Leave the guessing games to ebay. 

At $5k or less a real good buy, even taking a chance, my biggest concern would be a cracked block.  50 years is great, if the engine was drained.  We have had some cold winters in those 50 years,  and leakingroof tells me this wasn't a basement garage you see in a lot of old Hartford neighborhoods.  

If Steben's serviced the car, and block is sound, double that seems realistic.  Maybe more.  Body style is huge on these, lots of decent 4 doors out there but this has to be a 50% or more premium for the hardtop coupe.  That said, we will likely not know, which is ok, main thing is a cool car is back among the living. I do know the price on the Hershey car I posted was $32k, and it sold by Thursday.   I  thought that wasn't bad for such a nice example. 

I hope buyer is aware of the forum, would love to see how it cleans up.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Guest myold88

I just left Paul's shop. The car was removed yesterday and is with the new Ct owner. I also posted this on a GM Restorers site-  the exact name escapes me right now. They insisted on a price so I put in $7,000. Wayne Carini said the car was worth $10-$15,000 all day long as the offers started coming in. The new owner was the first to inspect the car at the shop,  came with cash ,and bought the car right on the spot after he heard that Wayne had stated the above figures.  

As a side note the engine was stuck but the prior owner had stated the anti-freeze was drained and the cylinders had a lubricant added before the storage in 1967. I bet it frees up knowing these tough engines.   That's it.

I was one of the first ones to call & the price it was offered for was so reasonable I knew it would be sold before I could get there to see for myself. Glad to know other forum members were not lazy & picked up the phone to call. Just because they don't put a price does not mean they want too much for something. As my old friend Woody always says, "If you don't  go, you will never know". 

Time is important/ valuable as well.  I've spent an hour or more on the phone with a guy because I was being courteous only to find out that what I was inquiring about was priced out of my range.   There are thousands of cars posted daily.  In today's world with that many options, I look at the big criteria first. (the same way I look at my Hemmings.  Make, model, Price and Location.   If any of those are missing,  I rarely follow up.  That being said,  hopefully the new owner has some fun with it.  I found a very similar 50 4 door sedan.  Better paint and chrome,  worse interior thanks to a Raccoon getting locked in the car (rear seat mainly)  It ran wonderfully with a carb rebuild and i even got brakes up without rebuilding them for yard use.   Put a new exhaust on it.  Everything worked,  even the signal seeking radio,   That car ran so smoothly,  you could literally barely hear it run.   I sold it for a small profit before i actually got it on the road.  It had been stored since the 70's.   I bought it in 2006 I think.   The paint and chrome were amazing under all that dust.  Hopefully the new owner didn't Restore it.  

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hi everybody, I just stumble over this topic while searching for info about my new old car, a 1950 Cadillac Club Coupe. Extremely rare here in Germany, possibly one of only a few in Europe.

I want to share my joy with you guys here, if you do not mind. Picked it up last Monday while I had purchased it nearly 3 years back. For various reasons, including no space and time, it only happened now that I was able to get it into my garage. The last owner bought it from the Dutch importer in 1992, so 26 years back already.  It was driven rarely and put into dry storage at least 10 to 12 years ago. Unfortunately the garage was not as good to the car as it was supposed to be. There was rust from the cealing (built with bad quality screws) falling down on the three cars (this caddy, a Citroen 11CV and a benz) and it worked its way through the roof and run down the sides and hood etc. Fortunately no real rust throughs, but looks absolutely  terrible. What a simple bed linen could have prevented. Right front fender had been removed many years back due to some welding on the passenger side of the kick and rocker panels. Therefore the right headlight and trim was removed (in very good condition in the trunk) resulting in this one eyed look of the car. Interior just like a time capsule. Dash beautiful, door panels like new, door sills the same. Unbelievably nice! So tastefully designed. Steering wheel deteriorated amazingly nice (I keep it that way, my brother would like to see it restored). Of course car did not start, starter was removed by my brother and me and tested but is not doing anything. Engine was turned by hand easily. Water pump started loosing cooling liquid immediately when we turned the engine but that looked good and clean. Engine bay has a lot of surface rust. Trunk has still original cloth. Chrom bumpers looked terrifying,  covered with a blue greenish crust. Car was located just 20 miles away from the North Sea coast of Northwestern Germany, therefore the air is always a bit salty and my best guess was it is just salt and dust molten together over time. A good brave wash with steel wool and I couldn't believe how nice it looked afterwards. Could not part with the car untill 2 am in the morning!!!! Only 6400 built at the time. When I purchased it on 4th Jan 2016 the day was reasonably nice but on my 200 mile ride the weather turned from good to bad in just minutes and temperature dropped by 10 degrees. Started raining when I still had 50 miles to go. When the drops reached the ground they immediately formed ice and aside the highway I saw many cars already having little accidents and sitting aside.  Crazy as I have been I continued my way and luckily reached the place safely. But when I tried to leave the car I just fall back into it. The ground was invisibly covered with a layer of ice. What an experience!!! Needless to say, to inspect a car at such low temperatures wasn't fun, but the seller was really a good guy and my gut feeling said 'take it'. And I somewhat had the feeling the car was talking to me..... get me out of here. I got home safely the day somehow, transferred the money the next day and became friends with the seller over the years.  Unfortunately he died last December from lung cancer at just around  45. Life is just too short for some people. But I had the pleasure to meet his verey very nice parents and we got along very well. 

So for my winter project is already taken off. Here some pictures of the car.

Sorry for the long read!!! 

Best regards, 

Hans

IMG-20151226-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20151226-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20151226-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20151226-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20151226-WA0020.jpg

IMG-20151226-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20151226-WA0014.jpg

20180922_164028.jpg

20181009_003406.jpg

Very nice car ! Has a lot of potential ! i am in Belgium and i also have a 1950 cadillac  but mine is a convertible that i have since 1995 and that i use every summer .Soon  I will get it covered for the winter  .I also have a 1956 Coupe de ville as you have that i am trying to get on the road , last week i saw broken rear leaf springs , didn't start to change them yet ...terrible job i guess .I also have 1956 cadillac parts car so i will take a look at those leaf springs .

Hi Daniel, thanks a lot. Good to know that there is another '50 Caddy so close. Just in case I am in the need of info, pictures etc., may I get back to you? Mine has been modified only a little though. The original regulator by a red box (not opened yet), instead of one horn relay I have seen at least three. And there is a reservoir for brake fluid attached to the firewall that is not original.  The wiring is somewhat missing too. I would be happy if you could post a few pics of your engine conpartment as a reference for me. - The '56 CdV is my every day car in summer. Fantastic powerful car and so easy to drive. Star on every car show and extremely reliable. It is worth the effort restoring yours. Thanks and let us keep in touch. 

Hi Hans ! Hi Daniel !  Hey Hans : no apologies needed for a long read. It is very well written. Everyone here loves Cadillac talk, the more the better ! Also thanks for so many pictures. You will love the way these cars drive. They are very well balanced, and the lack of unnecessary power controls gives them a wonderful road feel. I drove these cars as a teenager, and well into my 20s. A wild kid back then 50 years ago, I once outran and ditched the cops on a winding, slippery snowy road. What fun !    -   Cadillac Carl 

13 minutes ago, C Carl said:

Hi Hans ! Hi Daniel !  Hey Hans : no apologies needed for a long read. It is very well written. Everyone here loves Cadillac talk, the more the better ! Also thanks for so many pictures. You will love the way these cars drive. They are very well balanced, and the lack of unnecessary power controls gives them a wonderful road feel. I drove these cars as a teenager, and well into my 20s. A wild kid back then 50 years ago, I once outran and ditched the cops on a winding, slippery snowy road. What fun !    -   Cadillac Carl 

Hi Carl, thanks for the comment!!!!  Exactly what I'd love to hear. I am so keen to drive it as soon as possible. The '56 is already a dream car but I really wanted to have a no power assist car too. I love so much the lines of the early hardtop cars but I was worrying it might be so much harder to drive them. You really made me even more excited and took my worries away. Thank you. - You have been so fortunate to drive such cars in your youth!!!! Please share more stories like that!!

Hi Carl ! I drove a old 1950  beetle as my first car here in Belgium , we could only dream about those big cars ...Hans , if you need pictures i will see what i can do .My brake fluid reservoir is sitting under the car and always a problem to check the level and add if necessary .My 56 has been sitting much to long and so it is a big job to wake it up again .