Sign in to follow this  
Ken/Alabama

V12 Crankshaft Pulley

This is the results of what happens when the spot welds turn loose on the crankshaft pulley.  I've never seen one do this before.  This happened to a friend a couple days ago.  I've replace the pulley and now waiting on radiator to come back from shop.  It had a soldering issue not related to the pulley failure so nows the time to address it while it's out.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thats scary !

It looks like the wall of the pulley broke off?? I dont see the failed weld you refer too, like maybe it was pried against while 

removing the dampner assembly, at which time must have cracked??

How did you get it off to change it, and on?

jb

Those pulleys are spot welded together from the factory. They are two piece stamped steel and the spots are in the bottom of the groove.  I used a puller to remove the balancer then there is a snap ring on the engine side of the pulley that has to be removed.  I then loosely clamped a large bearing separator against the pulley hub on the balancer side of the pulley then was able to slide the pulley off with a large two jaw puller.  To install the new one you make sure the key way is lined up an then it just presses on then reinstall the snap ring.