Carburettor kit for 1963 Riviera

rodneybeauchamp

Hi guys

can any one recommend a good supplier for the correct carburettor kit and choke coil to suit my 1963 Riviera Carter AFB.

I tried to deal with Jon the Carby King however he does not want to ship outside USA or Canada. ???

Happy to take on suggestions for a reputable supplier who will ship to Australia. ??????

many thanks

Rodney

• Like 1

Look at RockAuto.com for the carb rebuild kit.  Standard Motor Products.  They ship to Australia.

I do not think they have the choke coil.  Do you plan to convert to electric choke?  A good used choke coil may be your best bet.  Usually it is the little vacuum operated piston inside the choke housing that gets all plugged up with carbon and sticks.  The coil is pretty simple and only needs to be replaced when it breaks.

Be sure to use the stainless steel plate between carb base and gasket.  Not included in kit.  I don't remember who sells them.

5 hours ago, RivNut said:

Rodney,

Find out if Tony has someone in the U.S. who can get one from Jon and ship it to you.

Hi Ed,

thanks for the advice.

I do already have a US postal address I could use, meaning I pay two lots of post.

But Jon made it very clear in his email reply that he did not want to ship outside US and Canada. So I would rather deal with another who is willing to do this than deceive Jon.

Im sure there is a Carby Jack out there, more than willing to help who supplies a quality kit!

Rodney

5 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

Look at RockAuto.com for the carb rebuild kit.  Standard Motor Products.  They ship to Australia.

I do not think they have the choke coil.  Do you plan to convert to electric choke?  A good used choke coil may be your best bet.  Usually it is the little vacuum operated piston inside the choke housing that gets all plugged up with carbon and sticks.  The coil is pretty simple and only needs to be replaced when it breaks.

Be sure to use the stainless steel plate between carb base and gasket.  Not included in kit.  I don't remember who sells them.

Hi Jim,

thanks for that, I will follow up. Wasn't keen on electric choke from info that has been posted.

my choke coil does still work but was thinking to make certain with a new one. But will use wha I have as it works.

Bill ( Riv63) was kind enough to send me the insulation sleeve which was missing and I may redo the hot air pipe also. The front pipe doesn't always sit right into the manifold so thinking that is an issue I need to fix today.

Everything else seems to be to be in place but want to ensure the choke comes off. Our climate is relatively mild here ( no snow ) so hoping to set it correctly once done. 

I think I need an Easy Peasy Step by Step How To on setting up the choke once it's done.

I have had a few goes but was never happy with the result and currently it is set in the fully open position which means it's hard to start first up.

Will take your advice about the stainless plate too,

1 hour ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi Ed,

thanks for the advice.

I do already have a US postal address I could use, meaning I pay two lots of post.

But Jon made it very clear in his email reply that he did not want to ship outside US and Canada. So I would rather deal with another who is willing to do this than deceive Jon.

Im sure there is a Carby Jack out there, more than willing to help who supplies a quality kit!

Rodney

I've bought stuff from these guys before. They also have choke coils. Don't know what their overseas shipping policies are.

http://www.carburetion.com

Ed

Rodney-

I can help you with the adjustments via a FaceTime-type video chat over the Internet.  Let me know when you are ready to do it.

Ed is correct, lots of good guidance in the Shop Manual.

Edited by Jim Cannon (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Jim Cannon said:

Rodney-

I can help you with the adjustments via a FaceTime-type video chat over the Internet.  Let me know when you are ready to do it.

Ed it correct, lots of good guidance in the Shop Manual.

Jim, that's fantastic and will take you up on that. Need to give me some time to change a few things first and wil PM you to set up a time to take up your offer.

regards

Rodney

4 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi Ed,

thanks for the advice.

Rodney

Jon would not be deceived, we have many overseas customers with a US address. Cheaper for them in the long run, and several items (if needed) can be shipped to this address and then forwarded all at once. We don't ship outside of the USA because of the cost. If I am going to get flak, much better to get flak for NOT shipping than for being a bandit (and I do not own any of the overseas carriers!). To date, we have customers from 59 countries! Just for the record, we have had a number of shipments where the cost of shipping EXCEEDED the cost of the repair kit! Again, I don't own the shippers. Even shipping to Canada for certain postal codes can exceed the price of the rebuilding kit. :angry:

If you don't find the kit and/or choke, we make the kit and stock the choke.

Maybe if Scotty ever fine-tunes teleportation, we can ship outside of the USA and Canada:)

As for choke adjustment, this quote from the "articles" section of our website: "All chokes other than electric may be adjusted as follows: pick a time when the ambient temperature is between 65 and 70 degrees F. (68 degrees F. is the perfect temperature), and adjust the choke such that the choke plate on a cold engine just TOUCHES closed, with zero tension. The choke coil will then compensate for other temperatures"

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Jon.

certainly no flak intended, just stating facts.

You have a good reputation from what I see from other posts, but my call is to find a supplier who is willing to ship to Australia. I agree overseas shipping often exceeds the costs of the item but that is the price you pay for having a Riviera down under.

Appreciate your notes on the choke set up and adjustment.

Regards

Rodney

On 10/20/2017 at 5:57 AM, rodneybeauchamp said:

Hi guys

can any one recommend a good supplier for the correct carburettor kit and choke coil to suit my 1963 Riviera Carter AFB.

I tried to deal with Jon the Carby King however he does not want to ship outside USA or Canada. ???

Happy to take on suggestions for a reputable supplier who will ship to Australia. ??????

many thanks

Rodney

Rodney, I had my Carter AFB rebuilt in Baltimore Maryland USA ( east coast ). If you would like I can shop around for a kit. PM me with the carb specifics and see what I can find. I’d be happy to ship to you and help out.

Red Riviera Bob

How can anyone mention any carb. kit or supplier. I don't believe it's been mentioned what carb. or carb. number he's talking about. MAYBE I just missed it???

If for an AFB, I have kits, floats, stainless plates & the GOOD electric choke conversions.

I also do rebuilds & when finished they get installed on one of a couple '64 Rivs. I have around just to make sure ALL IS OK before shipping back.

Problem is shipping overseas I ONLY USE WESTERN UNION.

Tom T.

I ship overseas on a regular basis.  A thick envelope (which may be all a carb kit needs) can go to Australia via USPS First Class Mail for $5.10.  If it's too thick for an envelope, a 4 oz. package is $13.75.  Both of these include tracking and proof of delivery, but not insurance.  The costs don't start to climb until you insist on insurance.  And for something as cheap as a carb kit, insurance is not a sensible investment.  Point being, there's no reason to assume or assert onerous shipping costs for overseas packages.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 12:26 AM, KongaMan said:

I ship overseas on a regular basis.  A thick envelope (which may be all a carb kit needs) can go to Australia via USPS First Class Mail for $5.10.  If it's too thick for an envelope, a 4 oz. package is $13.75.  Both of these include tracking and proof of delivery, but not insurance.  The costs don't start to climb until you insist on insurance.  And for something as cheap as a carb kit, insurance is not a sensible investment.  Point being, there's no reason to assume or assert onerous shipping costs for overseas packages.

With all due respect: What do you ship overseas on a regular basis? Stamps?

If original, the carb is going to be either a Rochester 4-G or Carter AFB. Either kit with no packaging weighs approximate 6 1/2 ounces on a digital postal scale (so much for your 4 oz. package). Both have airhorn gaskets which would not survive the trip in an envelope. Adding the smallest box which will accept either kit brings the weight to 14 oz. And I believe the OP also wanted a choke (another 1 1/2 oz.) As the post office rounds up, now our MINIMUM weight is 16 oz. or 1 pound.

And why would anyone ship approximately $100. worth of parts anywhere with no insurance?

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, carbking said:

If original, the carb is going to be either a Rochester 4-G or Carter AFB. Either kit with no packaging weighs approximate 6 1/2 ounces on a digital postal scale (so much for your 4 oz. package). Both have airhorn gaskets which would not survive the trip in an envelope. Adding the smallest box which will accept either kit brings the weight to 14 oz. And I believe the OP also wanted a choke (another 1 1/2 oz.) As the post office rounds up, now our MINIMUM weight is 16 oz. or 1 pound.

And why would anyone ship approximately $100. worth of parts anywhere with no insurance?

Jon.

I think that what KongaMan is trying to say is that shipping overseas is not as difficult or as expensive as one might imagine. I have also shipped many Riv parts overseas to several locations. I have shipped to Germany, France, Sweden, Australia (to Rodney the starter of this thread) and Switzerland. The package to Switzerland was sent to our friend Scmiddy from this forum. He is also the one that has done several articles great articles for the Riview. He bought a set of 4 wire wheel covers which I am guessing weighed around  25 pounds. Many of the things I sent were over 1 pound. First class International has broader weight and size limitations than Domestic First Class. While shipping overseas  is not as cost effective as domestic shipping, in most cases it is reasonable enough for the overseas person to obtain parts this way. In many cases getting things from the US is their only option. The buyer is paying the postage so there is no extra cost for the seller.The only thing that makes it slightly more difficult is that you have to go to the post office as opposed to mailing from home and you have to sign a customs declaration which is provided at the post office. If you sell to overseas buyers on e-bay it is a snap. You can print everything from your computer at home, slap it on the package and give it to the postman. 

Bill

1 hour ago, carbking said:

Stuff that weighs more and is worth more than a carb kit. ;)

A 7 oz. package costs the same as a 4 oz. package.

Airhorn gaskets will survive if you put something stiff in the envelope.  Ya gotta know how to pack your product.

If you must use a box, it's $23 for one pound.  If you get paid through PayPal, it's even cheaper because of their discount.

That's an actuarial question: how much would you spend for $100 of insurance?  If it's $10, that says there's a 1 in 10 chance the merchandise gets lost or damaged.  If the odds of a problem-free shipment are greater than 90%, it's foolish to pay for insurance. If you use Priority Mail. you get $200 of insurance with the $35 postage for a flat rate box or envelope.

Bottom line; there are reasonable and economical shipping options, and there's no reason to avoid international shipping.

Before we STOPPED shipping overseas some three years ago because of costs, we had shipped hundreds of packages to 59 DIFFERENT COUNTRIES in the previous 35 years; so we do have a WEE bit of experience.

The $200 insurance with Priority depends entirely on the local postal code. There are lots of postal codes even in Canada where registration is the only means of getting insurance. Registration alone is $23.50. You don't know UNTIL you check with the post office. If the customer lives in a large city, you are probably correct.

But you are convinced you can ship carburetor kits cheap (The Carburetor Shop IS for sale, call me), and I have disturbed a significant amount of pixels trying to show "it ain't always so"; so this will be my last post on this subject; and we will still ship to the USA and Canada.

Jon.

• Like 1