"She"?

pont35cpe

Guest SaddleRider

If my collector-car was as reliable and as much fun as my wife...maybe I would call it a "she"..     Presently...on those occasions when I refer to it....I call it a  %$$(#(#*@!*(       piece of   %%$(($(*#  

We name them to tell them apart. Better a name than "The red one" . Yes, I have had multiples of similar cars. Still do, Park Avenues.

I'm curious if giving a car a girls name is an 'older' practice.    I'm 58 and I don't think I've ever heard someone my age referring to his car by a girls name. 

I'm sure it also has something to do with a persons' societal environment.

Hey you ladies out there, do you call your car by a guys name?

Edited by Real Steel
typo (see edit history)

Most of mine were referred to as “she”. Because they had great curves and lines, pleasant to look at unlike most guys I know!  The current one is called the “Beast” (the car not the wife) only because my better half doesn’t really like to ride in it. 

To me the car or truck or motorcycle is an "it", not a she.  The only one I gave a name was my 1995 Ford F-150.  When I installed a fiberglass cap on the bed it became the Henry Ford Hotel when I used it as a place to sleep at times while traveling.

Terry

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

I don't understand why guys name their cars at all.  You would think they owned a boat.

Bought brand new, slightly used, or classically aged, all my cars and trucks have been "It's" as in "It" starts, "It" won't start, "It'"s broke, "It's" fixed and the ever popular you rotten piece of *#!t. On rare occasion I have used "she" when describing something unexpected. 

Never named a car, but from my trusty Dodge Shep to my not so trusty truck Hemorrhoid, all my trucks have eventually earned a name.

Edited by Digger914 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Real Steel said:

I'm curious if giving a car a girls name is an 'older' practice.    I'm 58 and I don't think I've ever heard someone my age referring to his car by a girls name. 

I'm sure it also has something to do with a persons' societal environment.

Hey you ladies out there, do you call your car by a guys name?

On of my Female supervisors called her Kia "Ricky Rio"   And I have been know to call my School Bus "Clunky the Wonder Bus" You wonder if it will start, you wonder if it will stop, and you wonder what will fall off when you hit a bump

Edited by plymouthcranbrook (see edit history)
  • Like 1

OK, you guys, here is the real reason behind girl names on things.  All inanimate objects are always referred to by the feminine gender.  If you don't believe me on that, go look it up in your Funk and Wagnalls.  Of course there will always be some

wiseguy who will name his truck Clyde or Ralph or Jethro.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Makes for a much better read when you are reading the classifieds than constantly calling the car it when referring to each feature.   I get more interested reading ads that way.  Makes the seller seem like they care about the car and are affectionate enough that maybe they aren't just trying to get rid of her/it.   I would be more interested in buying a car a guy doesn't really want to sell than the one he just put on fire sale because he can't wait to dispose of it/her to end his agony.  

1 hour ago, Terry Wiegand said:

OK, you guys, here is the real reason behind girl names on things.  All inanimate objects are always referred to by the feminine gender.  If you don't believe me on that, go look it up in your Funk and Wagnalls.  Of course there will always be some

wiseguy who will name his truck Clyde or Ralph or Jethro.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Funk and Wagnalls.  Hmm, I remember someone using one of those when i was a young lad.

I can only say that the National Woodie Club uses the feminine spelling, (ie) rather than woody. I think that it dates back to the ancient mariners. Every car show that I go to has a "Peggy Sue", "Angel Baby" or other name painted on one or more cars. 

My trucks have never had official "names" but I refer to them as the Burb & the SS as that is what they are.  As for the "she" comment, I refer to them as females.

My husband refers to them as "thorns in his side" that he'd like the set a match to lol

5 hours ago, Terry Wiegand said:

All inanimate objects are always referred to by the feminine gender 

Terry Wiegand

Many moons ago I asked my Dad this very question about referring to cars as "SHE" . His response was that we always use the FEMININE to describe objects of "GRACE AND BEAUTY".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Current vehicles are all named and male - Roger, Monte, Moby and The Min.

Past vehicles though include Ruby, Goldie(s) 1,2 & 3 and China

Oddly I've also owned "The Goat Car," which was a 68 Impala and not a GTO.

Although GM marketed it as a "four passenger coupe",my wife and I sometimes call the '25 Buick "Miss Vicky". The big '29 McLaughlin-Buick ,having a more regal appearance,is "the duchess".

Jim

Well, the only old car I ever has owned is an early sit-up and beg British small Ford, the least desirable Body style-four door Prefect. But if I had an early Model A, especially if rarer version, it would surelly bee a She; as at least almost every small 30s European car. Even a big but sporty open Mercedes-Benz or Horch from the Third Reich would I give a feminine nickname. As almost every Italian Car Up to the 70s. Very personal opinion.

Edited by Casper Friederich
New thoughts (see edit history)

An Indian (not politically correct terminology) fellow that I worked with came from a family that always bought Pontiacs.  He referred to my Pontiac as a Tinindian.  The name stuck.  I have never named any other vehicle of mine, when I had several cars of the same make I referred to them by year, when different makes i referred to them by make.