what's the value of an original steering wheel 65 Riv (blue)

Schmiddy

Hi folks
I want to sell my original steering wheel. The condition is very good (no cracks) and in my opinion it looks great. I have someone who is interested but I have no clue how much I can ask for... Want to give a fair price for it.
Does anybody knows how much I can ask?

Thanks!

IMG_3009.jpg

IMG_6760.jpg

9 minutes ago, PWB said:

Perfect wheel to a perfect stranger = $400. US minimum.

Are you upgrading to the deluxe wheel? 

Thanks Paul!

Right, I change it to the GS wooden wheel... I had the great opportunity to get one for a good price and upgraded it with the horn bars from Rick Rawls. Looks awesome! :D

• Like 2

I agree with Paul, I would pay $400 to even $500 if I could find either a saddle or black one, a blue one does me no good though.

Winston is probably right too though, they are pretty hard to find in that condition in any color pretty much.

2 hours ago, Rivman said:

I agree with Paul, I would pay $400 to even $500 if I could find either a saddle or black one, a blue one does me no good though.

Winston is probably right too though, they are pretty hard to find in that condition in any color pretty much.

Randall,

Which car do you want a black steering wheel for?

Tom

13 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

Yes, it is charcoal grey. I didnt want you to spend $800 (???) on a black one only to find out it doesnt match!

Tom

Copy that, I guess I should have said an "almost black" steering wheel. Probably even less likely to find one of those in that condition too.

Thanks as always for the clarification.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:12 AM, Schmiddy said:

Hi folks
Thanks again for your help in this issue, I could sell my steering wheel for 400$ ...it goes to Australia.
I think the price is OK (even though I think it could have been a bit more, I'm quite satisfied with it).
Greez,

Schmiddy

Congrats on the sale, it sounds like someone got a great deal on a very nice steering wheel!

$400 is a fair price. Maybe it was worth a little more like $500 but not much IMO. For $900, Quality Restorations will rebuild your old wheel from the metal frame up so the materials are new. An original wheel is 50+ years old and it would be a bummer to pay $800 for one that is crack free only to have it inevitably crack. Then you have a $100 wheel.

Personally, I'm getting the JB Weld out and fixing my cracks.    

The problem with the restored steering wheel is that it is no longer original.  For a purist with a really nice

original interior, Schmiddy's wheel was the holy grail of blue 65 Riv wheels. Frankly, I've not seen another blue one like

that in the last 25 years. I hope the guy who is buying it has a car worthy of it. If I had a nice babied car with blue original interior and a bad wheel I would have

gladly paid 900 for that one and wouldn't have blinked twice. The blue ones were the first ones to fail...they are usually faded out and covered with cracks.

Schmiddy, the guy owes you a couple of steak dinners to go along with the 400 dollars. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

The problem with the restored steering wheel is that it is no longer original.  For a purist with a really nice

original interior, Schmiddy's wheel was the holy grail of blue 65 Riv wheels. Frankly, I've not seen another blue one like

that in the last 25 years. I hope the guy who is buying it has a car worthy of it. If I had a nice babied car with blue original interior and a bad wheel I would have

gladly paid 900 for that one and wouldn't have blinked twice. The blue ones were the first ones to fail...they are usually faded out and covered with cracks.

Schmiddy, the guy owes you a couple of steak dinners to go along with the 400 dollars. 

Seafoam65, I'm vegetarian.

No, of course not... just kidding ;-)

Yes, I know the wheel in this condition is quite rare (why I asked for the price I could earn), but the guy who got it seems to be "a very enthusiastic good one"... so I've no problem with a "small price" and its a good feeling to make someone happy!

I got myself also some priceless infos or cool and cheap parts from Riviera guys, for example here in that forum or on some Facebook groups... I see it this way: I just give something back in the "Riviera-Community"... These cars must stay alive - and in best possible condition!

This thread is interesting to me for several reasons... I have a low mileage Riv (38K) with the blue interior and there is a crack in the steering wheel at a visible location so a crack free blue wheel would be an improvement I would like to make. As I examined the flaw in the steering wheel I wondered whether the crack is part of the fabric which makes this car truly original or is it a flaw which needs to be eliminated?  If I change the wheel to another from a different car is it then "original"? How about if I change the brake pedal pad?  How about the driver`s side armrest? Or if I massage the body alignment issues that I see on most untouched original cars? How about if I find seats from another low mileage Riv that are better than mine and swap them ( this is not as crazy as it seems as a few months ago there was a `65 Riv on Ebay which I knew had typical midwest rust but an interior which was significantly better than mine. Ironically I had a chance to buy this car at a discount price at the Buick Nationals but only saw pics of the exterior and it never occurred to me to use it "for parts"). I guess the question becomes "what is the definition of original ". I see the use of the term to describe cars which have been thoroughly "massaged" mechanically and cosmetically. At what point is a car not original?

Regarding a standard steering wheel and its value, at what point would it make more sense to upgrade to a wood wheel as Schmiddy is doing? At $800 or $900 one is firmly in wood wheel territory. Would it make more sense to upgrade to the optional wheel? Faced with these two alternatives what is the difference which wheel is "original" as one is changing out the real original wheel anyway? I payed $250 for a beautiful black wheel at the BCA Nationals and felt that perhaps I payed too much...maybe not? The opinions expressed re the value of a standard plastic wheel are surprising to me. I was under the impression there are services that will repair cracks in a steering wheel with JB weld or something similar and repaint to any color for a couple of hundred dollars? Maybe not? 

Tom Mooney 

Great observations and views. As stated above a pro-resto on a wheel rises to several hundred dollars.

The scariest thing about old plastics/resins is a perfect old piece now can crack tomorrow.

My personal comfort level is to live with a few small cracks in these types of parts.

I'll never forget one cold winter morn' - an old (plastic) dash screamin' a rip down center at crank up.

Mine or San Andreas' fault?

There is no way that a painted /repaired steering wheel is going to have the same appearance as an original molded colored plastic 

steering wheel, so for correctness you need a nice original steering wheel. Also, the 65 wheel has a black and chrome insert in the rim

that is made of plastic and when the wheel cracks, the insert cracks, and there is no way to repair that insert, so in my view you really

can't repair a 65 Riviera standard steering wheel . 

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

On 23 October 2017 at 12:08 AM, 1965rivgs said:

This thread is interesting to me for several reasons... I have a low mileage Riv (38K) with the blue interior and there is a crack in the steering wheel at a visible location so a crack free blue wheel would be an improvement I would like to make. As I examined the flaw in the steering wheel I wondered whether the crack is part of the fabric which makes this car truly original or is it a flaw which needs to be eliminated?  If I change the wheel to another from a different car is it then "original"? How about if I change the brake pedal pad?  How about the driver`s side armrest? Or if I massage the body alignment issues that I see on most untouched original cars? How about if I find seats from another low mileage Riv that are better than mine and swap them ( this is not as crazy as it seems as a few months ago there was a `65 Riv on Ebay which I knew had typical midwest rust but an interior which was significantly better than mine. Ironically I had a chance to buy this car at a discount price at the Buick Nationals but only saw pics of the exterior and it never occurred to me to use it "for parts"). I guess the question becomes "what is the definition of original ". I see the use of the term to describe cars which have been thoroughly "massaged" mechanically and cosmetically. At what point is a car not original?

Regarding a standard steering wheel and its value, at what point would it make more sense to upgrade to a wood wheel as Schmiddy is doing? At $800 or $900 one is firmly in wood wheel territory. Would it make more sense to upgrade to the optional wheel? Faced with these two alternatives what is the difference which wheel is "original" as one is changing out the real original wheel anyway? I payed $250 for a beautiful black wheel at the BCA Nationals and felt that perhaps I payed too much...maybe not? The opinions expressed re the value of a standard plastic wheel are surprising to me. I was under the impression there are services that will repair cracks in a steering wheel with JB weld or something similar and repaint to any color for a couple of hundred dollars? Maybe not? 

Tom Mooney 

Tom, you bring up some interesting observations about what is "original" and is it still original when upgrading parts from a donor car.

No doubt it is always a thought when we replace parts or refurbish what is there.

A friend of mine has a 66 Pontiac Bonneville four door, that has very low original miles and documented history from two owners. He pointed out the factory flaws in the paintwork.  Seems the guys on the production line washed the cars over with a solvent on a rag to remove any oils or greases before painting and you can clearly see the swirl marks beneath the paint.

His dilemma to leave or repair! Knowing that it is no longer an original survivor if repaired.

An unmolested survivor should retain value, and be desirable, but at what point would it become unsafe or unreliable if not maintained.

Difficult question. Re the blue steering wheel, buy a good one and install it, but keep the original too! Best of both worlds. ???

The cracked wheel discussion has sort of morphed into one about originality. Fortunately, collectors are finally starting to recognize the value of a car that really is "original" meaning it's carrying all it's original parts, paint, interior etc. I think a true "time capsule car" falls into that category. It is pretty cool to find a 50 year old car that has survived intact. The only downside of owning one of these is that they are fragile, driving them risks damage and modification or replacement of parts is an agonizing decision. The older I get, the less focused I am about having things "perfect" or "better than new". If it works well and looks pretty good I'm happy. The next car I restore might only be a partial restoration and end up looking a little scruffy. The wheel on my 63 was so cracked, it took two whole tubes of JB weld to fix so I had little worries about originality. Recently, a small crack re-appeared on my restored wheel. I'm sort of living with it. Regardless, put the whatever wheel you want on your Riv if it makes you happy. PRL

The older I get the more I notice there is a special way to say "original" in car talk. One has to extend their neck slightly so their head is a little forward of their shoulders. The they drop the "o" to  say "ridgenole". That is done with a slight lowering of the head and a bob that rises upward at the end that turns into a positive nod. All this happens with a slight glazing of the eyes.

This became apparent to me when I noticed people weren't saying "original" the way I originally heard it said or the way I say it. However , it is very entertaining to be able to predict it. Think I'm kidding? I bet you see it now.

In 1980 I picked up a wood wheel and four wire wheel covers for $30 at a swap meet. I threw out the old black wheel. Too plain looking.

Bernie

• Haha 2

My blue wheel is original and has a crack... part of the charm of a survivor...

I have some other parts which are NOS.. that are not original to my car and I have been debating putting them on such as:

rear window defogger and electric antenna....

I want to keep the car as original as possible, at least as far as the options it originally came with.

I have someone interested in both of those. What are those pieces worth?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Desmc14 said:

My blue wheel is original and has a crack... part of the charm of a survivor...

I have some other parts which are NOS.. that are not original to my car and I have been debating putting them on such as:

rear window defogger and electric antenna....

I want to keep the car as original as possible, at least as far as the options it originally came with.

I have someone interested in both of those. What are those pieces worth?

Thanks!

The defogger units aren't that difficult to find.  What happens when these are found and pulled is that the puller doesn't get the resistor from under the dash.  If you have the motor/fan, grill, resistor, and switch, you can sell it easily. 

Remember, the rear defogger is stamped on your data plate, the power antenna is not. Could give away your originality.