What are your thoughts on this car?

Xander Wildeisen

I agree with Mark, the fenders look out of scale for the rest of the car. If that's the effect he is looking for well so be it, but I think they should match the size of the rear fenders. Also agree with Restorer, I hope that the cars that he cut up weren't restorable.

Art Center School of Tragic Design, huh. I Googled them for images. All their cars look alike.

I'll stick with the Ag Center School of Tractor Design.

007.thumb.JPG.19fa94f53864176fefb8df18747bea60.JPG

Extensive modifications and capable of delivering a cash crop upon completion.

• Haha 1

The artwork is really nice but the transformation to steel/fiberglass or whatever is not very true.  Body work may be excellent.  Reading the description makes me wonder what this actually means. " Except for top, most of the body and fender work is done".  Is most 51% or 75% or 98%???   As well as design school perhaps he/she should brush up on English.

Another dream that morphed into a nightmare.

21 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Art Center School of Tragic Design, huh. I Googled them for images. All their cars look alike.

Just like many architects, barbers, hairdressers and other style professions where the person had/has one style only.  In many smaller towns you can tell which resident frequents which barber shop or beauty parlour.  In our city there was an home grown boy who became an architect.  He did some very excellent looking buildings and if you drive around you can pick every one of his out.

53 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

I thought the front fenders were too big...

Totally agree.

14 minutes ago, Brass is Best said:

Cord already built a phaeton and it is pretty hard to beat. Don't fix what ain't broken.

My first thought too....it's a timeless design, and "improving" it usually ends up in a downward spiral.......besides that, I think this design has already been done on a Cord hot rod, I remember seeing pictures....

Looks like a 10,000 project for 19,000 and that's only because of the value of alot of the cord pieces.  

As said.  It is really hard to redesign a Cord to look better or sleeker.  They pretty much hit the nail on the head with that design.  Kind of like a 40 Ford.  It's hard to do much to them to improve on the design.  Much easier to screw it up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trimacar said:

My first thought too....it's a timeless design, and "improving" it usually ends up in a downward spiral.......besides that, I think this design has already been done on a Cord hot rod, I remember seeing pictures....

The car they started with might have been nothing more than a shell. A lot of sedans have been stripped bare to save phaetons and cabriolets. Here are a few other Cord hot rods.

178553_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

29906170001_3977747766001_Cord-914.jpg

Oh, what the heck. Might as well stick my neck out and see if I can lower my approval rating.

Artistic endeavors are often fraught with perils of misunderstanding.

Still, I can't think of a better way to waste tens of thousands of dollars than to take a bunch of extremely rare and valuable historic auto pieces and butcher them until nobody likes the result.

If I were ten years younger, and wealthy, I would have loved to take the truly rare Hupp and work to restore it to the work of art it was.

But that is me.

The fact is, any hotrodder with a bit of artistic tendency, could take any of a thousand common empty shells of '30s/'40s/'50s cars, and make something as extreme or cartoonish as that thing.

, Without destroying a piece of history.

Foot, firmly in mouth, and facetiously, me.

• Like 2

I wondered earlier if the front fenders might not look so massive if there were wheels/tires under them to provide some perspective. Then the picture of the red modified Cord in post 23 came along and I can see that any tires would be dwarfed under the visual weight of those fenders. I think that the true beauty of the Cord lies in the gorgeous clean lines of the coffin-nose front end. These fenders distract greatly from that.  In some ways the Cord might look best with the least in the way of fenders -- simple cycle fenders, perhaps.

15 hours ago, zipdang said:

Plate glass grille? That's a new one on me.

This car shows a lot of forward thinking.

However that straight axel with the transvers spring is old tech.

I wonder if he is describing the GMC V6s that are bolted together.

Also wonder where the exhaust exits. Looks like right at the rear tire.

One piece block and one piece crank.

So not bolted together, just looks that way.

Obviously not the original exhaust manifolds.

I remember back in the day when a cab over truck with one of those V6s came in with a knock.

It seems that the in house mechanic did a tune up on it and when he started it up it had a knock.

He had all of the take off parts laying on the floor of the truck and I noticed that one of the spark plugs had the electrode missing.

Guess where I found it.

The spark plugs drop in from the top and not that easy to get to.