Leather Hides - Super Quality and Price ! Check this site out!

mikewest

47 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Got the two (partial) hides today. They have several scrape marks in the field. Maybe that's why they are discounted the way they are. 1.5 mm thick, I took measurements at several locations.

Thanks for posting pics!

How black are they?

How large of a mostly unblemished piece (automotive cushion face or seat insert) would you be able to get out of the chunks you received?

• 1 year later...
On 9/24/2018 at 3:10 PM, 23hack said:

Will Trimacar reveal the title and author of the needle and stitch book he mentioned ? It sounds very interesting and useful. Thank you.. 

Better late than never?  The book is "Guide to Sewing Techniques", and it's issued by Schmetz, a German manufacturer of sewing needles. Small but 276 pages....

IMG_2738.jpg

• Like 2

I use the "Leather hide store" to get my leather. they have restoration black, the quality is very good and so is the price. It has a nice distressed look and very few blemishes. It's on sale right now. If ordered, make sure to order all you need, up front and they will send hides that match in finish. I used the same leather on my Locomobile and it has held up very well.

https://www.leatherhidestore.com/restoration-black-distress-leather-upholstery-hide.html

No offense implied, but the hide being shown in this thread is pretty bad quality, all that around edges would have to be simply removed, it's not usable, and the damages in the main field of the piece would make it very difficult to use. If it's going to be cut in to squares or strips and sewn it would be ok if a person wanted to toil with it, but not for a folded seam diamond tuft. It looks like a half hide and about half of it is usable, at 50 dollars, that is all it's worth, they are now 99, that is way too much for that. Upholstery work is difficult enough without adding additional issues to work around. Spend a bit more money and get something better quality and easier to use.

The machine I use is a walking foot Sailrite machine with the Monster wheel for slower speeds and higher inertia in the stitch and #140 polyester thread with a Schmetz diamond point needle. It works, but I think if I had it to do over, I would shop around for a good used Pfaff or similar.

Here is a seat I just did over Christmas. There are some wrinkles in the upper right and left back which I removed by restuffing, also a small gap in the lower right corner which I fixed too. Of course the flash of the camera picks up every little wrinkle.

I used high density foam with horsehair over the top, I sculpted the foam to shape and used spray adhesive to keep the horsehair in place. The reliability of foam and the feel of horsehair under the leather. Not sure if this is a known technique or not as I am self taught, but it seems to work well. I used upholstery tacks exclusively to secure everything, no staples. I've tried using staples and they just don't work on this sort of seat construction.

-Ron

20191213_152722_Film3 (Small).jpg

20191214_155315_Film3 (Small).jpg

IMG_0399 (Small).JPG

IMG_0402 (Small).JPG

IMG_0404.JPG

• Like 3

I bought a few of these hides back in 2017 when the original post went up, but subsequently sold the car so now I have no use for them.  If someone's interested they're available.  They are charcoal, more like a very dark grey than a true black.

Peter