Sign in to follow this  
Red Riviera Bob

Newly buffed Cast Aluminum Rims for a 63 Red Riviera

On 10/15/2017 at 12:30 AM, jframe said:

Love these covers. I would use them on my 65 if I had four good ROUND base wheels.

JFrame, there is a gent in Philadelphia could get you the 4 round stock wheels if you can wait. I just got two stock wheels with holes in them to bolt up up the cast aluminium rims I'm cleaning up. Private message me and I'll get you details if you interested enough to investigate possibilities.

Red Riviera Bob

On 10/14/2017 at 1:25 PM, NCRiviera said:

Is this safe for chrome plated Rallye wheels and stainless steel trim also? 

I used to think yes, but now no. I recently used some on a nearly scratch free stainless radiator shell to clean the metal. Unfortunately, it instilled some fine scratches.  Mother's has a metal polish which I THINK is less abrasive

I have been using Simichrome since I got involved with the 100 point Rolls-Royce kids. They tested it on their cars so I was OK using it on the Buick.

A local guitar shop stocks it near me, but it is easy to find online. Good stuff.

image.jpeg.95404993aa34e002cd300e1d04b9b38d.jpeg

Bernie

• Like 1

On 10/21/2017 at 12:32 PM, 60FlatTop said:

I have been using Simichrome since I got involved with the 100 point Rolls-Royce kids. They tested it on their cars so I was OK using it on the Buick.

A local guitar shop stocks it near me, but it is easy to find online. Good stuff.

Bernie

Bernie, I’ve seen the simichrome advertised. I want to get some. If a guitar shop stocks this they must be around a lot of  vintage instruments. Do you know I do not put a thing on my guitars but a an old t shirt or Gerber Baby cotton diapers to wipe off the body oils and perspiration.

I have a 1955 Gibson ES 125 ( student guitar) and it could use something that would add luster. Thank You for the tip.

RRB

On 10/21/2017 at 12:32 PM, 60FlatTop said:

Bernie

Bernie, it seems Mother’s Billet Metal Polish does a fantastic job. I was given a secret formula for upkeep of the paint shine. To begin have your painted surface clean and dry. Next, take a damp microfiber cloth and apply just a little of Mother’s Billet Metal Polish and buff out with a dry micro fiber cloth. Next, apply Meguirers Tech 2 ( in the purple bottle ) to the paint surface with micro fiber cloth. Buff out with dry clean micro fiber cloth. Now, when you come back from a drive with the car wipe it off with. DAMP cloth or give the paint a once over with one of those California style dust mops. Mr. Seafoam gave the tip and went on to say he has not had to wash his car with soapy water since 1967. I’ve heard the normal way of bucket washing a collector car with water is not the best way for fear of rust.

Red Riviera Bob

Well, that's quite a secret.

On the last part, about bucket washing, I haven't done a traditional wash on a car in over 15 years. And I am conscious about the dew point in my garage, as well. I still use a hose and bucket with generous application of Westley's, as well as 800 to 1000 grit wet or dry on the tires, whitewalls, and exposed undercoating, like in the wheelwells get scrubbed with a brush.I Amorall the exposed undercoating but don't use it anywhere else.

The real secret is to just take steps to care for the car.  People who care for there car generally have better looking, longer lasting cars than those who don't.

Bernie

33 minutes ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Gents, here they are finished...at least for awhile.

Red Riviera Bob

Wheels and tires look great Bob!

Good job!

On 11/3/2017 at 1:24 PM, 60FlatTop said:

Well, that's quite a secret.

On the last part, about bucket washing, I haven't done a traditional wash on a car in over 15 years. And I am conscious about the dew point in my garage, as well. I still use a hose and bucket with generous application of Westley's, as well as 800 to 1000 grit wet or dry on the tires, whitewalls, and exposed undercoating, like in the wheelwells get scrubbed with a brush.I Amorall the exposed undercoating but don't use it anywhere else.

The real secret is to just take steps to care for the car.  People who care for there car generally have better looking, longer lasting cars than those who don't.

Bernie

Bernie,Yes, Sir I agree 100%. The Tires and wheels make sense to bucket wash. In this part of the country undercoating is not as popular as it once was. Seems like the Ziebart treatment for undercoating would eventually let in moisture and rust would take place without the owner seeing it happen. I wash the underside of my cars with a power washer connected to a waterbroom as soon I can after the roads have been salted.

ive been watching YouTube videos on how to detail an engine and many other car care topics and the videos are helpful. There are some pretty nifty tricks out there I️ had no clue.

Red Riviera Bob

On 10/21/2017 at 12:12 PM, Paul K. said:

I used to think yes, but now no. I recently used some on a nearly scratch free stainless radiator shell to clean the metal. Unfortunately, it instilled some fine scratches.  Mother's has a metal polish which I THINK is less abrasive

Paul, I use the Mothers Billet Metal Polish with great results. Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish works good too. I have not tried Simichrome.

RRB

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:59 PM, Red Riviera Bob said:

JFrame, there is a gent in Philadelphia could get you the 4 round stock wheels if you can wait. I just got two stock wheels with holes in them to bolt up up the cast aluminium rims I'm cleaning up. Private message me and I'll get you details if you interested enough to investigate possibilities.

Red Riviera Bob

I actually bought two Formula V wheels from a friend with the 802 code, meaning 66-67 drum brake wheels. Problem is, they turned out to be "wobbly" according to the tire guy. Going to try to spin them up at work and see how wobbly they are. Guy I got em from used them on a 62 Buick for years with no issues. If I can't find anything else, I'll let you know, and thanks!

I've got a couple of matching sets. They'd be okay for 20/20 vision - that's 20 feet at 20 mph.  But they'd be great candidates for refurbishing though.  Probably cost a bit to ship from 66218. They're 802's with the register rings removed. 

To square away a previous comment. The register rings are used to make the wheels hub centric, not hold them away from the brake drum.  The ID of the register ring is just big enough to fit over the OD of the front and rear hubs.  No way to bolt them on without being centered.

2 hours ago, jframe said:

I actually bought two Formula V wheels from a friend with the 802 code, meaning 66-67 drum brake wheels. Problem is, they turned out to be "wobbly" according to the tire guy. Going to try to spin them up at work and see how wobbly they are. Guy I got em from used them on a 62 Buick for years with no issues. If I can't find anything else, I'll let you know, and thanks!

2 hours ago, jframe said:

JFrame, I have 2 (two) 15” 5” wide wheels that I really don’t need. I’m crazy because I really don’t want to sell them. The wheels are original and I believe to be in real good shape. IF, YOU are in a jam let me know. 

RedRiviera Bob

PS- I’ve found auto mechanics have different levels of acceptance for what is ok and what is not ok. I have a friend who is a fine mechanic in every sense of the word for small engines, Diesel engines, auto electric, hydraulic, marine and the list goes on about how good he is. My firiend is quick to,point out items I should attend to on my car- like, too many bugs on the windshield. My friend has double standards- if you saw what he drives back and forth to work you would not believe the rattle trap he drives!

My point- maybe another wheel man would say , Hey the wheel is a little out, but nothing that can’t be fixed. I would get a second opinion.

• Like 1