Newly buffed Cast Aluminum Rims for a 63 Red Riviera

Turbinator

2 hours ago, jframe said:

I actually bought two Formula V wheels from a friend with the 802 code, meaning 66-67 drum brake wheels. Problem is, they turned out to be "wobbly" according to the tire guy. Going to try to spin them up at work and see how wobbly they are. Guy I got em from used them on a 62 Buick for years with no issues. If I can't find anything else, I'll let you know, and thanks!

2 hours ago, jframe said:

I actually bought two Formula V wheels from a friend with the 802 code, meaning 66-67 drum brake wheels. Problem is, they turned out to be "wobbly" according to the tire guy. Going to try to spin them up at work and see how wobbly they are. Guy I got em from used them on a 62 Buick for years with no issues. If I can't find anything else, I'll let you know, and thanks!

JFrame, I have 2 (two) 15” 5” wide wheels that I really don’t need. I’m crazy because I really don’t want to sell them. The wheels are original and I believe to be in real good shape. IF, YOU are in a jam let me know. 

RedRiviera Bob

PS- I’ve found auto mechanics have different levels of acceptance for what is ok and what is not ok. I have a friend who is a fine mechanic in every sense of the word for small engines, Diesel engines, auto electric, hydraulic, marine and the list goes on about how good he is. My firiend is quick to,point out items I should attend to on my car- like, too many bugs on the windshield. My friend has double standards- if you saw what he drives back and forth to work you would not believe the rattle trap he drives!

My point- maybe another wheel man would say , Hey the wheel is a little out, but nothing that can’t be fixed. I would get a second opinion.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/14/2017 at 4:41 PM, RivNut said:

I've copied and pasted this from the Mother's website 

"Welcome to Wax Forum

Mag & Aluminum Polish can scratch modern chromes, and this is one reason why we don't recommend its use except in situations where there is severe rust or other challenges."

Ed, truth told, Mother’s, Dad’s and every manufacturer of mag aluminum polish is not worth a hill of beans on badly oxidized cat aluminium. The covers must  be cleaned, wet/dry sanded, polished and buffed. My finishing touch is to use red then white rouge the last two steps in the treatment as suggested by Jim Connor. I’m no expert; however, I can claim 100 hours or so cleaning those rascals suitable for “showing off “ your driver. Please know any commercial polish, etc. is useless on cast aluminium turbines until you have the cast aluminium in shape for maintenance shining. That is my take on shining up years of neglected cast aluminium wheel covers.