1931 Auburn Cabriolet for sale/mostly orig. paint

2 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

WOW! What I wouldn't give for that car.

All you have to give is money!  L-29 look for a fraction of the price.

I do lust after an Auburn, as do many.....and in the grand scheme of things, not an awful investment...

I've been spending all mine on the garage to put one in.  $1600 + today got me 100 ton of stone.  I have $15,000 in Trusses coming Wednesday.   I bought $10,000 in lumber 3 weeks ago.  $14,500 in Concrete the week before that. 

That's a long ways toward buying one. 

The seller never mentioned this was original paint at Hershey or that he had all new tires,  or that the engine had been completely rebuilt.  All things that would have a definite affect on value. 

Auburnseeker, re your comments spending $ to build your building to house any cars you may want. I went through this last year. Bought my bucket list Packard touring, but then had to insulate and heat and expand somewhat the 2 car garage I have here at my house on long island. I told the fellow who I put my car with in his shop to go through it mechanically (it had been a trailer queen when restored in 1980 and sat mostly unused in ideal conditions since then) to take his time as I had to get permits, contractors etc to do the work here. My car was restored with lacquer, which to this day nearly 40 years later is almost perfect except for a few chips - no cracking/crazing; but needs the dry , heated garage for winter months. So not only are the toys expensive but the box to keep them in is too!

• Like 1

I just went through the whole insulating finishing thing in my existing garage last year.  It's 28 by 50 with a 10 foot ceiling.  I haven't quite got it finished but I spent over 7,000 just on the insulation.  I went with Roxul.  6 inches in the walls and 10 inches in the ceiling.  Then I put 1 inch Hi R foil faced foam over that.  Now I'm going over that with 3/4 inch tongue and groove wainscoting.  I also built 2 inch foam core covers for the garage doors.  It has alot of windows and isn't quite fully sealed up with the foam yet,  but only used about 150 gallons of fuel to heat to 50 degrees last winter and that was not having the door covers on until January and still not having the foam up all the way around.   I also had to replace some misc,  electrical stuff, that I didn't like the way it was done and buy a used monitor Heater.  With the wood and all the other materials,  I have over 10G just in materials to finish that.  

What we do for our old cars.  

It would be a whole lot easier if I didn't have the garage full of stuff already as well. 

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2183.JPG

IMG_8236 (1).JPG

IMG_8515.JPG

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

I took a long look at this Auburn when it was in the Chocolate field. It was very tempting. While my 32' Olds F32 wooden wheel  DCR that I'm restoring right now will never be worth as much as this car, it's probably even rarer. Yes I know, an Olds is not an Auburn, but my Olds is probably as close as I'll ever get to an Auburn in my garage. I was fortunate to purchase it after it's 50yr storage.

I also looked it over and was thinking of mr. Auburnseeker, although I wouldn't mind having it either.  Seller mentioned that it was done mechanically but didn't get into the specifics, understandable as I am sure he had a lot of casual inquiris at Hershey.