48woodie

Hershey 2017. Swap Meet or Parking Lot/ Camp Grounds ??

Went to Hershey a couple of times in mid 60s with my parents, went back as an adult in 71 and have had a space since 72. In 71 we went with friends and didn't get there till around noon on Saturday and vendors were leaving. In all the years of vending at Hershey I don't think we sold $100 worth of stuff on Saturday all the years put together. We always stayed till Sunday morning till the year someone came around and told us we needed to be out by 6am Sunday, we said ok, we were woke up at around 3am when the porta-potty people started pumping out johns and loading them up, smell and noise.

Back then we lived 5 hours away and could not sleep in our truck camper if we had our flea market stuff loaded so we started driving straight through Saturday afternoon to go home.

This year someone came around Saturday morning while I was at the show and asked my wife if she had any more trash to throw away because they were going to start picking up trash cans soon. 

Probably the easiest solution to the Saturday flea market problem is to stop advertising the flea market on Saturday. Saturday is car show day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 48woodie said:

Now you won't be able to afford an $ 8.00 Milk Shake. :(

And $800 for the motel, Is that the one percent I keep hearing all the rhetoric about? I knew it was going to come close to me sometime!

"I was looking for sympathy and all they had was empathy. Why were they laughing?"

It's not just Hershey, it seems to be a good share of the old car hobby is gone.  I drove about 2000 miles - that's right, two thousand miles - ONE WAY - to go to Hershey this year with my wife.  We had not been there for 26 years but finally found ourselves without kids at home to raise so we decided to get back to the car hobby.  We started walking the first day, looking at the vendor items and found, like many others, too many empty spaces or too many vehicle's just parked and it made for a LOT of wasted walking.  I found a few parts that I would have bought if it were not for the high prices.  It would be impossible to "restore" an old car that was built for the working man (Dodge, Chevy, Plymouth and so on) and still be able to eat.  Perhaps it HAS become a rich mans game now.  Too bad as there are a lot of good old cars waiting for the average working person to fix up and enjoy - but, the average working person can not afford to pay $100.00 + dollars for a single tail light lens for an average, lower priced car.  I also experienced a couple of vendors that were less than friendly.  They ask me to make an offer and what I felt was a fair price was evidently way to low in their view so they made it a point to let me know they were not going to even talk to me. Why ask, then get mad about it?? My wife and I were excited about getting back into the meets, but after my experience this year at Hershey, I will stick to E-Bay, the forums and local swap meets where there are still people that want to see these old cars back on the road and to help people get them there. No more BIG meets for me.
  • Like 1

The messages here are clear... big walks past empty spot will hasten Hershey’s demise and that’s bad for all of us.  I hope the organizers can and will find a way to keep the campers happy... elsewhere.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:01 PM, Terry Bond said:

Sure is a lively chat here.  48 Woodie, sorry your glass is half empty.   For many of us it's a hobby, not a business as has been pointed out.  Still, I did great and have no complaints.  I also found some great stuff this year.   My booth was open while I served as an AACA director for 15 years, but on a limited basis.   I had a smaller than usual display this year because of my broken leg, so if a few things on a table at my spot disappointed you I humbly apologize for the limitations dictated by my medical situation.  I'll try to do better next time.  Be warned however,  you'll not find me there when I'm out shopping, and you'll also not find me there during certain hours on Friday when I try to attend the Spark Plug Collectors of America meeting way over by the old stadium, or on Friday afternoon when we try to be at the Buzzards Breath Touring Region meeting. This year I also attended a Continuing Judges Education session.  Of course Saturday I also had judging obligations to fulfill on the showfield.   You'll also find me closing up early on Thursday so we can take our turn at the AACA membership booth late in the afternoon.  If you wander on by during those times you are more than welcome to take a picture of my  space, but personally, when I take pictures at Hershey it's of neat old cars and great stuff piled on tables.  I hope you enjoy next year's event, I can promise great weather, and I highly recommend you try the crab cakes.  

Terry

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:56 PM, Terry Bond said:

Thanks for your response.  The Hershey Region, who actually organizes the fall meet, including the swap meet, reviews everything about the event, and starts planning for next year immediately,  and I'm sure they would be interested in your thoughts. Rather than try and organize the event on this forum you  should compose a nice letter outlining your thoughts and ideas and address it directly to the Hershey Region AACA.  I know you have a concern for the future of the event, and you raise some interesting points so thanks for having the courage to speak up.  Just be sensitive to the fact that each vendor is an individual.

You would need to be a member of the Hershey Region in order to be on their board of directors. It's a very large group of dedicated volunteers who run this event, and if you were a part of that group there would be very little of your time available for either vending or shopping. There is designated volunteer parking near the Giant Center, and other locations throughout the various fields. 

What you mention about casual or first time visitors is unfortunately true.  Last year I was packing up late on Saturday and had a couple stop by indicating they had heard that there was a car show and flea market that day.  They showed up at about 3:30PM.  I explained the whole thing to them, handed them an AACA application and let them know the best thing they could do is join the club.  They did, and this year they came by on Friday afternoon to tell me how much they appreciated the help.  Yes, unfortunately, if Sears is having a big sale, there will still be customers to who show up a day late, or after all the goodies are gone. 

Don't know why you are hung up on over-priced milk shakes, but then again on a hot day at the ball park, that $5 beer tastes mighty good.

Hope the post Hershey season is good for you and that you'll be back again next year to find some goodies.

Terry

Terry, you owe NO ONE an apology.  I can remember trying to touch base with you at Hershey in years past when you were on the board and you'd be in meetings until almost 11 at night.  Knowing the hours that Herb, Steve, Tom, Joe Vicini, Joe Gagliano, Hulon, Don, Mike, Dave Zimmerman and the rest of you kept during Hershey week, I don't know how you did it, often questioned why you did it, but always appreciated the fact that it was done. 

With that in mind, you have a decent Flea Market spot over by the Giant Center.  When you were on the board, you shouldn't have been chastised because you couldn't be at your spot all of the time because of your duties as a National Director, nor should you have been forced to surrender those spaces.  The fact that you still paid the money for your spots and didn't have time to recover the dough you shelled out in those spots says a lot too.  I understand the price you paid and don't like the fact that someone finds it as "abuse in government" because you paid for your spaces and couldn't be there all the time.

You know that I fall under the younger group, I work a lot of hours, I don't have a large pile of cash, I don't have a large amount of vacation time, I only get weekends off once every six weeks, and my dad and I pool our money in able to be able to afford to do what we do.  With that in mind, to spend what little time I have in meetings never appealed to me.  As I had told Joe Gagliano in the past, I've watched you guys run your butts off and you never had time to enjoy your own cars. 

You and I both know of people who ran for a board position, and once they got their term in as National President, jumped ship after they got what they wanted.  Had I caved in, I wouldn't have looked at a three year term, I'd have looked at 15 years.  I feel that 15 years is a long time to park your cars to be tied down to the board.  I know it needs to be done by someone (21 people), I never would've done it for the power or the title, I could've cared less about the recognition, but I'm not the one who wants to do it because I would've left my father high and dry in terms of the building and maintaining the cars.  It would mean a bigger strain on me financially and in time.

As a vendor myself, I have five spots.  When you figure in our trailer and the truck we pull it with, I don't have merchandise on all five of my spots, and you have to have a means to get your stuff onto your spots, and if someone thinks I should park my truck and trailer someplace else because of the no parking rule has lost their mind.  In the case of Chuck Crane, he has his motorhome on site next to his merchanise.  Does the motorhome take up space??  Yes it does, but by having his motorhome on site, he doesn't have to close up shop to go stand in line for that $8 milkshake or to go to the bathroom.

You are 100% correct that this is a hobby.  We're restoring stuff too, and I had to leave my space to go to Judging School, to get my Hershey souveniers, to renew my dues at another club, to get new catalogs from the vendors I do business with, etc.  I also have had a history of horse trading with other vendors for stuff that I need too.

When you've been around the hobby as long as we have, you also tend to get stopped by people who know you.  When that happens, that takes time, and it keeps you away from your space.  I'm not going to shut someone off to go please a disgruntled customer who may never do business with me anyways.

In terms of the complaint about the Flea Market getting full use, I suppose the next complaint will be that the AACA Library or the Museum should be chastised because they're not open 24 hours like Wal Mart is.....

We pay for our Flea Market spots, but that doesn't mean someone should expect us to be chained to those spots for four days.  Whether we're selling or buying, Hershey is a great event, but it's not our life.

By the way, in case I haven't said this to you in a while, thank you for dedicating 15 years of service to the club as a national director.  When I chaired that national meet, I saw firsthand what you and the others did, and I was floored when I understood the time and stuff you guys had to do.

One more thing that I forgot??  Hats off to the Hershey Region for another great event.  I know I've said this before, what brought me into AACA to begin with was so I could show a car at Hershey.  Had it not been for the Hershey event, I might not have ever joined AACA to begin with.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Everything every one says is true.

But the club needs to keep it's eye on the prize. The prize is to provide vendors/parts for the buyers, draw buyers to the meet to provide revenue for the vendors, and expose potential members to the club.  I'm not so sure the prize is to provide an annual meeting place for old cronies or a close parking spot.

From my superficial observations and other's reports that's what seems to be happening.

Carried to it's logical conclusion: fewer buyers will show up because they are discouraged by empty spaces, fewer vendors will bother to set up thus making for more empty spaces meaning fewer buyers etc etc etc.

For awhile it will be sustained by the old crony/we've been coming here for 50 years guys but as their ranks thin even the die-hards will give it up and the only sound will be  those of crickets.

That's pretty much the definition of a death spiral.

I don't know enough or are smart enough to provide answers to the problem but it certainly looks like a problem..................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 3

The Hershey experience is much more than the flea market. I would wager that not 50% of the attendees hope to buy or sell parts. I suspect that 50% ratio was just as true in the 1970's.

• Like 1

Hard to quantify but I would wager that more than 50%  are there to LOOK at things other than parked trailers and empty spaces. I do know there are far fewer active vendors than there were 20 years ago. At some point the Hershey experience  will be less and less attractive if it's just a bunch of old guys sitting around talking about the old days. It's not just Hershey. I've seen it happen to any number of clubs/groups.

I'm not assigning blame or claiming I have a fix or even if there is a fix.

But if a thing can't adapt it likely doesn't survive......................Bob

• Like 4

Bob,

There are a lot of people who play a role in this. 

HERCO - The vendors are paying more money for spaces and they have fewer hours to sell.  Then when they limit how late the attendees can stay, it affects the vendors even more.  I wonder how many vendors even show up when they're only given 10 hours a day to sell.  To our good fortune, the muddy flea market fields are gone, but now you have a flea market entirely under lights and neither the vendors and/or buyers get the benefit of having the lights to stay out later to sell.

HOTELS - When the car show comes to town, the hotel owners spike the rates.  What would cost you at most other times $120 a night now goes to $250+ a night.  How many people can swing that??  Some can, but others can't.  Pay $1000+ for hotels and Flea market spaces, or pay $80 for an extra space.  If you can pay $400 for five Flea Market spaces and stay on site, you're $600+ ahead of the game, so the local merchants contribute to this problem as well.

COMMERCIAL COMPANIES - Think of the money it costs Corky Coker to have all of those spaces, all that inventory, and then having to make payroll, travel expenses, room and board??  Thankfully enough Corky still does it, but how many other companies can still afford to??  If you're paying $1,000 a week to put your employees in a hotel, think of what it's costing him to put two guys in a room, plus all of the staff he brings, plus paying for their travel, plus handling all of that inventory??  Look at how many of the big companies that no longer set up at Hershey...  I know Mac's Auto Parts, Bill Hirsch and Dennis Carpenter don't have near the stuff that they used to bring.  Rhode Island Wire has been gone for years.  Every year we go to Hershey, we usually order our stuff ahead of time and pick it up at Hershey. 

COSTS - The environmentalists haven't been good to our hobby.  Paint costs a lot more, patroleum costs are higher, chrome costs more and wages have gone up.  That's driven the prices up on the whole shooting match.

HERSHEY REGION - If you're a vendor and you have two spaces and want a third space, that doesn't always mean that you're going to get three spaces all connected.  You might get two spaces connected and your third space could be two rows away.  If that happens, are you going to run two separate Flea Market spots or are you going to set up at one spot and park your car in the other??  I'm not saying that the Hershey Region is wrong at this, but I'm 99% certain that this does play a role.  You can't expect the Hershey Region to shuffle the entire Flea Market field because one vendor wants to add or eliminate one spot.

As I mentioned before, I chaired a meet in the past, I've previously worked closely with the national directors, so I understand the logistics.  It is very difficult to put on a national meet, and the Hershey Region has done that for 62 consecutive years.  The meet I chaired was less than 1/3rd the size, and we didn't have 30 vendors let alone 1,000+. 

When you think about it, if you got involved with the very first Hershey meet back when you were 18 years old, and you still were involved with the meet today, you'd be at least 80 years old.  For several of these people, they've worked this event their entire adult lives.  There are a lot of people who have been born, worked their entire life, and retired all while the Hershey Region was putting on a national meet year after year.

I applaud what the Hershey Region does for the hobby every year.  Moneywise they're not hurting, but they work hard, and they've earned every penny that they've earned. 

What I don't appreciate is the "Abuse of Government" accusations from within the event when there are a lot of factors that run below the surface that many people don't see, are not aware of, don't understand and will never know about.  The Hershey event takes a lot of time to plan, a lot of people to do it, and it isn't a two hour job.

• Like 1

It sounds like they are all valid reasons contributing to the decline of vendors. Addressing them may or may not be possible.

If they can be addressed and corrected more vendors  will show up. Good for everyone.

It's more likely they are not all correctable by the AACA/Hershey region.

So the question is: Should the show continue to sell 10,000 spaces knowing that only a fraction of them will be used to actually attract patrons to the show? Or would the over all and long term health of the show be best served by reducing the acreage of the  flea market  and limiting the spaces to those actually selling?

Speaking for myself, and I'm guessing most others, I'd much prefer wandering among 3000 actual vendors spread out over 5 acres than trying to find those same vendors hidden among campers, trailers, parked cars and empty spaces spread out over 15 acres. I know this last event I gave it up as "no fun" after 3 rows.

Some one made the observation that less than half the people are there to "buy".

If that's true, and I suspect it is, the question should be asked "why" are they there. The obvious answer is for entertainment. For fun. 

I'm fairly sure most, especially the older ones, don't find walking miles  while looking at mostly nothing entertaining. So, they don't come back and there aren't enough newbies to make up for the loss.

Maybe what the show needs is a  "director of entertainment"  rather than a committee of "we've always done it this way"

Adapt or die...............Hey, just sayin..............................Bob

• Like 1

I hesitate to wade into this discussion. I think that we can all agree that minimizing the "non-productive" spaces would be good. I too agree that it would be nice if the worker parking could be concentrated along the outer fringes of the swap meet fields as much as possible, rather than located in the center of the Chocolate Field North. I understand why it is where it is, but would really prefer if it could be located at the southern end of the Chocolate Field South. I should probably not suggest this, since I actually share one of Marty Roth's Chocolate Field South spaces. It might be necessary to eliminate some of the current spaces in the Chocolate Field South to do what I am suggesting.

It is going to be virtually impossible to make it "perfect". This year, I spent most of my time walking the fields finding things to buy for my current restoration project. In some years past, I spent almost 100% of my time Tuesday-Friday in the space, selling. This year, when I was not there, my stuff for sale was out with either one of the guys sharing our spaces there to collect or else a sign directing payments to be made with our neighbors at the adjacent space, who were there the entire time and who agreed to help us out. This year, I sold more while I was out shopping, than I sold in the times when I was personally in the space this year. 

I am always closed on Saturday since I judge at the show and then start the 8 hour drive home. Maybe it might make sense to close the swap meet and just have the show on Saturday but I think that having the swap meet available on Saturday does still help those younger people who can't take off work during the week. While Saturday may be slim pickings, it is better than none. I also suspect that anything they find on Saturday probably comes cheaper since those who are still vending are likely to lower prices for those fewer number of buyers who are there on Saturday.

I think that the internet has made it easier to find obscure parts that were only found at Hershey years ago. Unfortunately while making it easy to find stuff, the prices have gone up. It is no longer sitting on a table in front of a guy who does not want to have to pack it back up and take it back home. It is now on Ebay being watched by multiple people who all have a chance to bid against you.

I ordered lots of parts from vendors for Hershey delivery since it saves me on shipping charges. I also found some really great deals on a few things at Hershey this year. I bought some stuff from some nice people that offered me much better deals than I would have ever found online. The thrill of the hunt is still there, if you have the right attitude about it. It is still a great experience, even if we might want to look at the past with rose colored glasses.  

There is no way that the Hershey Region will ever be able to dedicate people to "policing" spaces the way some people seem to think that they should. They already run a very labor intensive operation staffed with a lot of volunteers. While not perfect, overall, I think they do a remarkable job. I hope to be able to return for many years to come.  

Matt, you're 90% right on all accounts.  While your idea of having the Hershey Region workers parking on the south side of the Chocolate Field has merit, the problem with the Hershey Region rests the same as with almost ALL of the regions.  Those guys are getting old!!

Right now the Hershey Region worker parking is in a central location so everyone is walking about the same distances to wherever they're working.  If you change it with your idea, now you have the hassle of who has what mobility issues and then having to assign them in places that works for them while trying not to upset someone else.

The costs of doing business has driven everything up, but having the local merchants spike the prices on everything when we come to town doesn't help things either.  There isn't much anyone will ever do to fix that.  They see that cash cow coming, they know when we're coming, and they're cashing in...

Another thing to think about is how they've held evening events at the Music Box Theater during the week, but when everyone has to be out at 5pm, I would imagine that's a waste of time too.

I know Hershey is a big region, and they're a very wealthy region, but the question I have goes back to is there enough younger folks that will still be there to put on that meet 20 years from now??  It might not be in the not so far distant future where those guys might get to be too old to do this event.  That would be a tragedy!!

As much as I would've loved to have had AACA Headquarters up on the hill at the Museum, I am excited to see them going into the new building that they're going to and I can't wait to see it happen.  51 weeks a year it would be better on the hill, but during Hershey week the advantages are.

-  It's a beautiful building with room to grow.

-  On show day you can run judge's admin right out of the headquarters building because it's next to the showfield.  I'm sure it would give judges admin a better work area than what they normally get.

- The National Awards committee can work out of a room at headquarters on show day where they can work with no interruptions and in a nicer area I've seen them work out of at some meets.

- The AACA National Directors can attend board and committee meetings, and still be able to get out onto the show field and Flea Market when their schedule permits.

- If a judge's team hits a snag on the show field, the library is right there if they had to research something in a pinch.  There was a time when the team I was on hit a snag and Joe Vicini ended up calling the plant manager at his house on a Saturday to unsnag it.

- For the AACA staff, they can park at the office, go out onto the flea market field with a golf cart and free up space, and not have to go as far to get supplies and/or take stuff back to the office at the end of the day.

- If you get rain on either show day or during the flea market, it would enable AACA to get more people into the Library to do research which in turn promotes AACA. 

- What better way to sell the AACA brand when the headquarters and library are between the showfield and the flea market??

For the last couple of years I have gone off the radar and gotten out of the loop, but I like the idea of that new building. 

As for the Hershey event??  I don't see a fix to it because the problem lies with more than one entity.  If HERCO lifts the 5pm ban, you know there are going to be people who are going to pull into that lot with a camper, pay $20 and spend the week there.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

In past threads over the years, AACA members have 

made helpful suggestions and comments about THEIR

national fall meet.  Sometimes the answer comes back,

"The Hershey Region never reads the forum comments."

Well, why not!  While they do a good job as volunteers,

there is always room for improvement, and some of

these comments should be seriously pondered for the good

of the event.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Sometimes the answer comes back,

"The Hershey Region never reads the forum comments."

John,

Who stated this?  I happen to know they do read comments and do the best they can to improve the Fall Meet with the resources they have.

If they do, great!  But other years in the past

it was stated (by whom, I don't know)  that Hershey

people never saw the forum comments.  Even in 

this topic, someone suggested writing a letter instead

to the Hershey Region, and while that might be productive,

members may be less likely to compose and send a letter.

I agree with the others that food could be more

reasonably priced.  Consider that high-priced milkshake:

A restaurant might charge half the price a Hershey vendor does,

and the restauranteur has a building costing $500,000 to $1,000,000,

and grounds and parking lot to maintain, and he

serves the food with waiters, on real dishes, with silverware

that they have to wash.  The merchant may pay for advertising, too.

A mobile vendor should have significantly fewer expenses.

I remember the past comments, from management, that forum posts are "usually not read" actually referred to AACA directors being too busy to read them. There was a small flurry of comments on that revelation.

As I remember the AACA fall back position whenever pressed for answers was "write a letter".....................Bob

10 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I agree with the others that food could be more

reasonably priced.  Consider that high-priced milkshake:

A restaurant might charge half the price a Hershey vendor does,

and the restauranteur has a building costing $500,000 to $1,000,000,

and grounds and parking lot to maintain, and he

serves the food with waiters, on real dishes, with silverware

that they have to wash.  The merchant may pay for advertising, too.

A mobile vendor should have significantly fewer expenses.

We can complain all we want about the food costs at the meet (and I do sometimes), but the fact is we are in a supply and demand free country and business people are going to charge as much as they can as demand dictates.

Think about it, what are you charging today for an original porcelain petroleum sign that people were throwing away 50 years ago.

If you picked it out of the garbage in 1976 and had it for sale at Hershey today and calculate your storage, transportation, etc it might be 5 or 10 bucks, you want to make a reasonable profit so you would sell it for $20. Are you going to sell it for that or are you going to sell it for the going rate that demand dictates. Expenses don't mean much in pricing, demand does. 

Just sayin.

Here's a suggestion:

If you advertise the Fall meet to be open Wednesday through Saturday ..and being open from 7am to 5 pm then that's what it should be.

Also if you advertise 9,000 vendor spaces then thats what it should be.

I do understand that some vendors might not make the meet due to unseen circumstances.

If not it's false advertising.

If the show can not keep the vendors there on Saturday because it's to many days to be there then change it to Thursday through Saturday.  This would make the swap meet available to the common Joe who has to work or the young enthusiast who may also have to work or go to school.  Maybe you could move all the vendors that are only open sometimes to one area and the serious vendors who will stay open 7am to 5 pm to the other areas?

Also campers should be in the camp grounds and cars should be parked in the parking lots.  If the buyers have to make it to the swap meet from the parking lots and the camp grounds so should the vendors.

If the volunteer workers, car show judges or the AACA Directors need parking spaces in the swap meet then close the North Red Field and the South Orange Field...most of these space were being used for campers, parking or where empty. Then you can have the volunteers that work at the south end park in the "Old" South Orange Field and the volunteers who work at the north end park in the "Old" North Red Field. This does not seem to hard to do?

And why don't they have these "meetings" scheduled for after 5 pm when the swap meet is closed?

We keep hearing how the "Hershey Region is a big region and they're a very wealthy region". Why don't they hire someone to police the vendor spaces. That doesn't seem to hard?

No matter what is said vendor spaces should be used only for vending and they should be open as advertised. Please look again at the photos at the beginning of this thread...it's ridiculous.

It would be interesting to hear what the Hershey Region thinks about what we're saying on the thread?  Lets hear from you guys.

As for the $ 8.00 Milk Shakes...I only mentioned it as a joke...but still who buys an $ 8.00 Milk Shake. (2018 I will be selling "Who Buys $ 8.00 Milk Shake" T-shirts.

Mike

This one is going to get me in trouble.

Edited by 48woodie (see edit history)

48woodie,

Most of the people who are selling parts at Hershey are not running a business. The majority of the swap meet spaces are run by individuals, not businesses.  If you think you can require people who are paying for a space to sell excess parts to be required to stay in their space for every minute of every day of the swap meet, I don't think you understand human nature very well.

The majority of those individuals who are selling are also buying. If they are stuck in their own space 100% of the time, they can't buy anything from any of the other swap meet spaces. Most of these individuals store their items for sale in their cars, trucks, trailers, or motorhomes. Without somewhere to store parts, it is difficult to sell parts.Regarding meeting times, If the swap meet area is closed, it would be impossible for those clubs to have their meetings in their spaces at those times. 

Your suggestions in your last post would guarantee the end of the Hershey Swap Meet. 

I would urge you to give some thought to your suggestions and after coming up with reasonable ideas for improvement, you should pass them along to the Hershey Region. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have had little time for the forum but can only tell you that I am passing this thread on to others to read.  Not everyone enjoys the use of these forums so I try to make it my job to send out important threads for our directors or the region to read.  Right now I am overwhelmed with our new building and two other major projects but can tell you that perspectives change depending on what side of the fence you are on.  It is hard for the masses to understand the amount of work/problems that goes into the fall meet and the problems the region and national have with it.  It is also equally important that all of us listen to how the end user feels about the "product".  There are points on both sides but each side does want the best for the fall meet.

The suggestion to write the region with your constructive ideas is a good one.  

MCHinson,

Streamlining an event does not guarantee it's end.

The demise of a swap meet is having to walk 20 miles to see 9,000 swap spaces and there are only really 5,000 spaces being used for vending.

Or showing up to a car show advertising 9,000 swap spaces on Saturday and there are only 1,000 spaces being used because the vendors just decided go home .

Why don't they add the real information in the advertisements.

9,000 swap spaces is no where near the truth.  Open 7 am to 5 pm is also not true?

Wednesday through Saturday also not true.

Again, look at the photos at the beginning of the thread......thats the demise of a swap meet.

The Hershey Region needs to check the other active forums. This is not the only Forum commenting on this years Show.

Mike

I like a good milk shake......but who pays $ 8.00 for one???

• Like 2