Star car

Guest LeRoy Littlefield

Guest LeRoy Littlefield

I recently bought a Durant of California Star car (Car # C-2954 Model R) and I'm trying to find out everything I can about it.I don't even know what year it is.

Welcome to the forum.  Further down the page under Domestic Makes and Models you will find Durant.  This would be agood place to pose your question as the Star was built by Durant.  Everyone here loves pictures.  Pictures and serial and engine number will give people here the information they need to help identify your specific car.

Good luck and happy hobbying.

The Star was an automobile marque that was assembled by the Durant Motors Company between 1922 and 1928. Also known as the Star Car, Star was envisioned as a competitor against the Ford Model T.

Like other products of the Durant Motors Company, the Star was an "assembled" car, built from parts supplied by various outside companies. Originally, Stars were powered by a four-cylinderengine; in 1926 the line introduced a six-cylinder engine. All factory-installed engines were built by Continental.

In 1923, Star became the first car company to offer a production station wagon. Instead of shipping a chassis out to a custom builder who added a wooden wagon body, the wagon body was delivered to the Star factory and fitted to the chassis there.[2]

For the early part of the 1928 model year, the Star was known as the Durant Star and was only available with a four-cylinder engine. The car was replaced in the latter half of the 1928 model year by the Durant 4.

Hi LeRoy..

Come over to the Durant Motors Automobile Club website. >>> Durant Motors

Many helpful members and information here. Feel free to post in our forums

follow the tabs to durant cars and view the catalogs and registries. Our tech pages have a lot of useful information.

Consider joining our Club, we publish 4 magazines a year and have members all over the US , Canada and worldwide, maybe some near you.  We just had our annual meet in Modesto California, next year we are in Staten Island New York.

Welcome to the world of Durant & Star cars...........Frank

William C Durant was one of the pioneers of the auto business. He started General Motors, lost control, started Chevrolet, used it to buy back control of GM, lost it again, and the Durant car company was his third effort at starting a car company from scratch.

The Durant company made Star, Durant, Flint and Locomobile cars. The Star was their low priced model, selling against Ford and Chevrolet. They  used Continental engines. The engine and transmission were separate which made it easy to adapt the engine to boats, or as a stationary power plant to run a saw or other machinery. A lot of them got scrapped for the engine when they got old.

I know a guy with a 1927 Star and he seems happy about it.

Hey Leroy

Like Frank said, come on over the the Durant Motors Automobile web site at www.durantmotors.org and post whatever you want there. Don't have to be a member to post and there is a very knowledgeable group of forum posters there that can tell you what you have, how to restore her, and where to get parts.  Best place to go for Durant info. Also you have the Durant Motors Automobile Museum, a virtual museum to browse at your leisure here on the internet at www.durantmuseum.org.