1940 Chrysler escutcheon 3D-print reproduction

Narve N

Hello group, I am doing a reproduction run in 3D-printing of the following parts No: 840 373, which is the so-called escutcheon or plastic insert for inside door handles and window winders that I believe is unique to the 1940 (fits both Series C25 and C26) The run will initially be made in offwhite to match the plastic inserts on my own window winder handles. Since getting my first 40 NewYorker back in 1990, I have been looking for replacement of these early and fragile plastic items. I have received numerous offers for 46-48 stuff, but only once (2005) seen the correct stuff on eBay - and then I was outbid ..

So now I am making my own, anyone else interested? Price is not set but will likely be less than actual cost for template plus limited production.

40 C innv handtak outbid 0503.jpg

40 CNY 1011 (8) Flip Door Handle.JPG

Not much interest in the 40 Chryslers I guess. Almost like when Hyman advertised a 40 NewYorker convertible in 2014, and I called them and told "Keep in mind there is only one person worldwide looking for a 40 convertible, and that is me".

There may not be much interest in the 1940 Chrysler but that doesn't mean what you're doing isn't worth it. Those look like very nice reproduction pieces. B)

The white escutcheons illustrated are the ones I was outbid for in 2005. In hindsight they actually might not be correct for a 40, although the handles certainly are. They do look almost identical to the ones I have been offered lately which correctly are marked as post-war (evidence #2). Anyhow, the prototype has now been made in dark grey and the manufacturer will probably make them in correct white next week. I'll bring photos.

59eb9fdfeaedf_40Cinnvhandtakoutbid0503.jpg.1934698bd2e9aed9a70eb1cfc1f8f5b5.jpg59eb9fbd16ae1_40CNYdelejaktEscouteronsrareautoparts1012.jpg.579a239d4723acba20c459754c4646df.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I promised fresh photos. Here are two dark grey 3D-printed escutcheons together with the twisted original at left. Bottom shows a convertible top button and an original flip-handle plastic, where the latter is a bit more beige than the first and it was decided to copy the color of the handle for the production series (all 12 of them). (The guys have made a pattern so they should be able to make more if there ever was a interest.)

20171026_134558_001.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...