Imperial62

Dash plastic/rubber "sticky" - Solutions?

My 1988 has sticky rubber on especially the sides of the main dash pod/pad.  Coloring is still decent.  I suppose this happened because of excessive heat/sun degradation.  Stills looks OK.  Does any body have any ideas on cleaning this so as to preserve color, feel etc?    I am not even sure what to use. 

I have used "Goof Off" or "Oops" and followed up with leather conditioner. I just picked up the center panel that is above the pass through door that had a black rubber like residue. The hook area on my original panel was breaking and needed replacement. Did the Goof off and leather conditioner and now need to do the other panels to clean them up.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

The very ingredients that it's made from- are separating; the next step will probably be splitting & cracking, like an over ripe melon. The "sticky rubber" is probably the Butyl Acetate, (one of it's components) leeching from the vinyl.

I would not use any type of cleaner (solvent) to try to remove this. Get a bottle of quality cocoanut oil suntan lotion, and liberally coat the entire dashboard. Leave it on, as long as possible, until it soaks back into the vinyl. 1 heavy application should do it. Try to not wipe it off- it will eventually soak in. The rear parts would benefit from a treatment, too.

766eea63-9326-4b36-b737-ad70525fc50a_1_9f9a9dbbd6bd17990fc2fcc4002676b7.jpg.6b6321ab23b2ac8f39e955ccd75f6e2e.jpg

• Like 1

I have both Goof Off and Goo Gone.

Goo Gone has not harmed anything that I have tried it on.

Goof Off......use great care.......test a place first.

Goof Off will cloud clear plastic and dull the finish on smooth plastic, it is much more aggressive.

If fact if you are going to paint a plastic part, use Goof Off and it will etch the surface and the paint will hold much better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Goof Off......use great care.......test a place first.

Goof Off will cloud clear plastic and dull the finish on smooth plastic, it is much more aggressive.

If fact if you are going to paint a plastic part, use Goof Off and it will etch the surface and the paint will hold much better

Yes- Benzene and it's esters will very easily remove the liquid ingredients of plastics.

Pick your poison with this one http://www.goofoffproducts.com/msds-cpsia

4 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

Goo Gone has not harmed anything that I have tried it on.

It is a very light oil, with lemon & orange extracts. It will dissolve most rubber-based glues.  https://googone.com/uploads/msds/GG_Original_SDS.pdf

Yikes.    I think I will try oil based "conditioners".    I have a couple ideas but thanks for the Goof Off heads up.

The color in my opinion is still nice, so I don't want to paint if I can help it.

This 88 has a good dash overall, a good steering wheel (some scratches but nothing horrible) but poor seats and door panels.