65 RUBBER FUEL LINE SIZE

jframe

Just replaced the rubber fuel hose from pump to filter and filter to carb. Reason being, I put a non A/C fuel filter on my car, since it runs a LOT better without the return line hooked up, and I noticed that whoever used the worm gear clamp at  the carb all but tore the hose tightening it, apparently with an impact or something. Anyway, decided to replace all the rubber line up top down to the fuel pump. The hose from the carb back to the filter was 5/16", which seems about right, but the hose from the filter down to the pump was only 1/4". Seems awfully small, so I replaced it with the 5/16". The service manual tells you everything you want to know about the fuel system, except for the fuel hose size. Anybody know what size was supposed to be on it originally. BTW, I used Corbin type clamps, which are more aggravating to get on, but sure seem to be easier on the rubber hoses.

The proper size hose is determined by the diameter of the hose nipples. The proper size should go on very

snugly without having to use brute force to slide it on. If it goes on effortlessly, the hose is too large. Be sure to use

the expensive FUEL INJECTION hose that costs about 6.00 a foot. The inexpensive fuel hose will fail very quickly with ethanol fuel.

I don't recall the size of hose that my car has but I know it is the correct size. I can check tonight if need be.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I second the fuel injection hose. I have a daily driver ford that used to go through fuel hose every 6 months or so. It would get hard and crack. I changed to Gates Barricade, and haven't changed the lines in about 3 years. Do some careful shopping online, and you can get it for as little as $2 a foot.

31 minutes ago, Seafoam65 said:

The proper size hose is determined by the diameter of the hose nipples. The proper size should go on very

snugly without having to use brute force to slide it on. If it goes on effortlessly, the hose is too large. Be sure to use

the expensive FUEL INJECTION hose that costs about 6.00 a foot. The inexpensive fuel hose will fail very quickly with ethanol fuel.

I don't recall the size of hose that my car has but I know it is the correct size. I can check tonight if need be.

I ended up using 5/16" all the way to the pump from the carb. All I had was regular fuel line, but I use non ethanol premium from a station 5 minutes from home. Everything seemed to run ok, and no leaks so far; I just thought that 1/4" line was WAY too small. BTW, not crazy about the way it routes up from the pump, but it's the way it was done then. At least there are no sharp edges for it to rub against.

Fuel injection hose is designed to work at higher pressure; such a designation has nothing to do with its ability to withstand ethanol.  Indeed, Gates sell Barricade hose for carbureted systems that is available at a lower cost than the FI hose.

FYI, 25' of 5/16" Gates Barricade for carbureted systems (Gates part # 27314) is $27 at RockAuto and $32 at Amazon.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Eric's.64.Superwildcat said:

How does switching to a non-AC fuel filter make a car run better?  Will it increase the possibility of vapor lock on a hot day?  

Thanks.

My car had an off idle stumble, and if you nailed it away from a stop, it tried to fall on its face til rpm came up. I tuned it up; cap, rotor, plugs and wires, the works. Even had a shop put it one of those Sun machines and set everything. Nothing worked. Last week, I got the bright idea to plug the vapor return line on the filter, and BOOM, like a different car. It always ran great on the road, just that initial tip in stumble. So, I put a non a/c fuel filter on it for added measure, and replumbed some fuel line. As for vapor lock, time will tell. The car was a factory air car, but had had a Vintage Air unit retrofitted to the original vents. I am willing to bet underhood temps aren't NEAR what they were with the facory setup, and hopefully, won't create an issue. 

Edited by jframe (see edit history)

6 hours ago, jsgun said:

you'll probably need a vented gas cap if you don't have one already. I'm plugging my return line, and went to a vented cap. Not road tested yet.

Yep, I've had a vented cap all along.

On 10/9/2017 at 12:16 PM, KongaMan said:

Fuel injection hose is designed to work at higher pressure; such a designation has nothing to do with its ability to withstand ethanol.  Indeed, Gates sell Barricade hose for carbureted systems that is available at a lower cost than the FI hose.

FYI, 25' of 5/16" Gates Barricade for carbureted systems (Gates part # 27314) is $27 at RockAuto and $32 at Amazon.

I could not find the Gates Barricade hose when searching this part number on Rockauto. When I did find the correct part number this hose was listed only in 250 ft lengths unlike the other hose choices? I tried adjusting the quantity at check out several times but Rock kept defaulting the quantity to 250 ft length?? BTW, although designed for higher pressure and more expensive, the fuel injection hose is also described as being ethanol resistant just like the Barricade product. Just an FYI...

Tom Mooney

2 minutes ago, 1965rivgs said:

I could not find the Gates Barricade hose when searching this part number on Rockauto. When I did find the correct part number this hose was listed only in 250 ft lengths unlike the other hose choices? I tried adjusting the quantity at check out several times but Rock kept defaulting the quantity to 250 ft length?? BTW, although designed for higher pressure and more expensive, the fuel injection hose is also described as being ethanol resistant just like the Barricade product. Just an FYI...

Tom Mooney

RockAuto has it; I'm looking at it.  A part number search for 27314 should pull it up.

The hose is priced by the foot, but only available in three lengths: 2', 25', and 250'.  You have to buy in those lengths (i.e. you can't buy 9' or 17').  When buying a spool, the quantity defaults to the spool length (e.g. part # 27324 is 250'). For all the part numbers for the different sizes and lengths, see this.

Barricade hose comes in two flavors: for fuel injected systems and for carbureted systems.  Both are ethanol resistant.

2 hours ago, KongaMan said:

RockAuto has it; I'm looking at it.  A part number search for 27314 should pull it up.

The hose is priced by the foot, but only available in three lengths: 2', 25', and 250'.  You have to buy in those lengths (i.e. you can't buy 9' or 17').  When buying a spool, the quantity defaults to the spool length (e.g. part # 27324 is 250'). For all the part numbers for the different sizes and lengths, see this.

Barricade hose comes in two flavors: for fuel injected systems and for carbureted systems.  Both are ethanol resistant.

Hmm..very strange. This search produced no results for me yesterday and I tried it several times double checking the part number? I used other info to eventually find the Barricade hose but the only choice was the 250 roll?! Thanks,

Tom

2 hours ago, KongaMan said:

I realize now why I couldnt find the 5/16th Barricade in 25ft lengths...if one goes to the section labeled 5/16ths only the 250ft length is listed. But scrolling farther down the page the 5/16th size is again listed in different lengths. Why not list all the 5/16th hose options together?? I should have realized by now the internet/high tech navigation is based on endless hunting and pecking and not obsolete notions like an INDEX or common sense grouping...duh!  Thanks again for taking the time Konga,

Tom

• Like 1

20 hours ago, telriv said:

Your fuel pump is probably starting to fail.

I have thought that as well, but after plugging off the vapor return, the stumble is gone. It also seemed to idle too low, and never could get it to adjust up much. Now, the idle in gear is good, and it doesn't have that first tip in the throttle miss that it had. Going to drive it some this weekend, and see how it does. If it IS the fuel pump, at least it's an inexpensive and relatively easy fix.