37 Coupe Express on eBay

I'm sure others on this forum have seen this but I am wondering about the sellers statement that  it is an all numbers matching  engine , transmission, body, and chassis. I was told that the SNM doesn't have production orders that old, so how would they be able to document that? I asked the seller the same question but never received an answer. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-Studebaker-J5-Original/263245205316?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edited by ibrake4oldcars
remove accedental attachment (see edit history)

Already at 30K and has not met the reserve.  Okay, sure it's a bit rare but I guess I just don't see the value with the shape it's in.

"numbers matching" might mean the numbers on the car match those on the long term registration and ownership papers?

Anyway, the numbers don't "match". My L5 has chassis number 14 and cab number 18. The other L5 in NZ has chassis 17 and cab 17, from memory (> 30 years ago). It seems to have been the luck of the draw which chassis the assembled cab went onto at the factory.

• Like 1

As for the numbers matching scenario he may be referring to the fact that the engine number fits into the sequence assigned for the '37 Coupe Express and that the body and chassis numbers are also consistent. Body numbers seldom coincided exactly with serial numbers. In other words a truck that shows a serial number of J5 -020 indicating the 20th down the line might have body number 35 due to the random method of selecting the bodies from the body storage building.

• 2 weeks later...

I got so tickled when I saw Dick's post that I replied too soon and did not mention that my display is of the centerfold that he has available as shown in his post.  It makes a great display for people who have never before seen a Coupe-Express and attracts a lot of attention.

Thanks Dick

Tom

I always wondered what numbers matching actually means.  like its the proper casting number engine block, serial numbers on transmission, etc.  I had a j1976 bmw 2002 that had had the serial number that is in the windshield is stamped under the hood, is stamped on the engine block, is stamped on the transmission.  and I mean the exact number.   I guess now that's what I consider a numbers matching car.

terry