Wanted - 1934-38 Dodge intake and exhaust manifold

36 D2 Coupe

My engine rebuilder broke the exhaust manifold for our '36 Dodge D2 coupe.:angry: Welding it is doubtful so a replacement set would be nice. Part # 651277 is for the set and it fits '34 DR, DS; '35 DU; '36 D2; '37 D5; '38 D8 (US only) 218 cu. in

Does anyone have a spare set? Or know a wrecking yard that might have them?  Thanks for any suggestions.

On 10/7/2017 at 8:37 PM, 36 D2 Coupe said:

My engine rebuilder broke the exhaust manifold for our '36 Dodge D2 coupe.:angry: Welding it is doubtful so a replacement set would be nice. Part # 651277 is for the set and it fits '34 DR, DS; '35 DU; '36 D2; '37 D5; '38 D8 (US only) 218 cu. in

Does anyone have a spare set? Or know a wrecking yard that might have them?  Thanks for any suggestions.

i have a intake and exhaust manifold for 218 6 cyd moter for sale call george 406-5432591 

• 4 weeks later...

No, I have not located one yet. Your photo looks promising. Could you check the serial number on the block to confirm that it is the correct motor. Serial number is stamped on a flat boss on the side of the block just below the water outlet/thermostat housing. What would your price be for the complete manifold unit?

Thanks for your reply!

Jim

this is the number,i will get it removed from the engine and make sure it is all good and let you know. it will be heavy to ship but i will see if i can get a good shipping quote too. if you would like to email me your address for the quote it would be more accurate. my email address is    memech123@yahoo.com 

temp(25).jpg

On 10/7/2017 at 7:37 PM, 36 D2 Coupe said:

What is the part number for just the exhaust manifold? Reason I ask is that might be more common (i.e. also used on Plymouth or for more years on Dodge). The set part number would change if either the intake or exhaust parts changed and it seems they experimented with various intake manifolds more than they did with exhaust manifolds.

Ply 33 - I have not been able to find a part number for just the exhaust manifold.  I get your point but evidently they wanted to sell the units as a matched set. I followed a thread on these forums where a fellow with a '36 Dodge had a really bad time when the intake and exhaust manifolds were separated for machining. Caused him a lot of grief to make things right. So I suspect matching up unfamiliar parts could be a problem. Or maybe not but I'll try for a set first. It would be nice though if we knew whether the exhaust manifold fit more cars than the ones I listed in my post.

1 hour ago, 36 D2 Coupe said:

Ply 33 - I have not been able to find a part number for just the exhaust manifold.  I get your point but evidently they wanted to sell the units as a matched set. I followed a thread on these forums where a fellow with a '36 Dodge had a really bad time when the intake and exhaust manifolds were separated for machining. Caused him a lot of grief to make things right. So I suspect matching up unfamiliar parts could be a problem. Or maybe not but I'll try for a set first. It would be nice though if we knew whether the exhaust manifold fit more cars than the ones I listed in my post.

The trick is to have the bolts holding the intake to the exhaust run up but loose until you snug up the stud nuts that hold the manifolds to the block. Then tighten the bolts that hold the manifolds together. That allows the two manifolds to adjust to the correct position to seal against the block and each other.

Unfortunately the manifolds can warp if not attached to a block for a long period of time. At least this happened to me when I was getting everything together after it had been disassembled for 20 years and I think that was the reason. Only way to get a manifold to seal if it is warped is to machine it flat again. In my case, I mounted the manifolds up as mentioned above to get them as good as I could. Then with the four bolts holding the manifolds together tight I removed the assembly and took it to an automotive machine shop to have the block mounting surfaces ground flat.

A number of years of driving after that I noticed a crack developing on the exhaust manifold which put me in the position you are in. On later cars there is a special washer and split nut (available from Vintage Power Wagons) that allows the exhaust manifold to slide slightly as it expands and contracts due to heat. My car was built before they did that and apparently I had the brass nuts a bit tight which put undue strain on the manifold.

FWIW, the exhaust manifolds come in two separate styles: One with the dump at the very back and the other with it between, I think, the #5 and #6 cylinders. My '33 Plymouth has it at the back.

When my exhaust manifold cracked, I noted the casting number on the bottom. When I found a manifold off a '37 Plymouth that had the same rear dump I noticed that it had the same casting number, just a different date code from mine. From the top you can't see those numbers at all. Casting number on my original cracked manifold is 604501-1. The one on the '37 manifold on my car has a different dash number and date code but other than that is identical as far as I can tell. The '37 manifold was flat across the flanges and I was able to mate it with my existing intake as described above with no issues.

• Like 1

Ply 33 - Thanks for the additional fitting information. It all makes practical good sense. Why are simple things not always obvious? (at least to some of us:rolleyes:)

I suspect that all the Dodges I listed have identical exhaust manifolds with the rear dump. I don't know when they went to a dump between #5 and #6 but that would likely be the cut-off for exhaust manifolds that interchange. Since the Plymouths have a 201 cu in engine, my parts interchange book shows them as having different part numbers than the Dodges. However without having worked with both and having an opportunity to compare them physically, I can't say if the 201 and 218 manifolds could be used interchangeably. It certainly would be nice if they could as it would open up more possibilities for folks with manifold problems.

What is the casting number on your manifold? Maybe it is the same as I've listed. . .

I am pretty sure that the US built Dodge cars used the same basic engine block as the Plymouth (approx. 23" long). The 1933 190cu, 1934 201 and 1935-41 201 Plymouth engines use the same manifold gasket sets as the 1942-48 218 Plymouth and post war Dodge 230 engines. You might want to see if any of the gasket part numbers for your car match up with the Plymouth equivalents at http://www.ply33.com/Parts/group9#9-50-03 If the gaskets match, then the actual parts will have the same dimensions.

Edit: Just noticed your location. I think the Windsor engine plant came on line in '37 and after that the Canadian Dodges used a 25" block like the ones used in the US for DeSoto and Chrysler, not the shorter 23" block. From the list of Dodge models in your first post I am pretty sure you have a 23" block but it might be good to clarify that.

Edit 2: I've seen the rear dump exhaust manifold used on vehicles produced after some with the dump between the #5 & #6 cylinders. I think they had both in production and the use depended on clearance to the firewall. Mostly speculation on this last point.

Edited by ply33 (see edit history)

My engine and manifold are 30 miles away at the engine shop so I don't have it handy to check the casting numbers. I believe I have the 23" block so maybe all the exhaust manifolds for that size block COULD fit. More research needed!  I'll have a look as soon as I can get back there and report on what I find.

On 11/2/2017 at 5:03 PM, 36 D2 Coupe said:

My engine and manifold are 30 miles away at the engine shop so I don't have it handy to check the casting numbers. I believe I have the 23" block so maybe all the exhaust manifolds for that size block COULD fit. More research needed!  I'll have a look as soon as I can get back there and report on what I find.

Did you find what you are looking for. I have  a set of manifolds said to be off a 38 dodge but it is under a pile in the garage let me know if you are still looking and I`ll dig it out and measure it up for you.

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:03 PM, 36 D2 Coupe said:

Finally got to see my engine man and got a casting number from the broken exhaust manifold. The number is 620954 and according the the guy who is on eBay as fmmpar, that number fits many Dodge and Plymouth  flathead 6 engines all the way from 1934 to 1948. As jpage says, I may have to watch that I get the correct heat riser assembly but it certainly opens up the possibilities. The casting number on the intake manifold is 651258 - last number is not clear - it may be a 9 or something else as it was really mangled.

I think I can see my way clear to getting a replacement now. And I hope this thread will help some others who are struggling with manifold issues on these engines :) 

• 5 weeks later...

Well here we go again. In spite of the best efforts of Dodge 1934 and a local friend, I'm still looking for that elusive exhaust manifold.  I had acquired a correct but cracked manifold from the friend, trusted it to a shop that claimed they could weld it up and they proceeded to completely ruin it. I could have done better myself and that's admitting I have no skill at all in that department.:angry: So once more I'm seeking either an exhaust manifold with part number 620954 or a combination intake/exhaust using that exhaust manifold. Surely they are not that rare?  Again, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to look at their stuff for me.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone

Here's a follow-up to my search for an exhaust manifold. I decided to search eBay using only the words "Dodge manifold" to see what I could find. Many many pages of Dodge manifolds of every description but only 3 that looked like mine. I contacted the sellers for the casting number and two were winners - 620954 - the one I got was from a Dodge M37 military 3/4 ton 4x4 vehicle that was made from about 1951 till sometime in the late 50's. I had the guy separate the exhaust from the intake which I didn't need after I bought it since the intake configuration wasn't right for the '36 Dodge. I don't know how the heck you do a cross reference search to find out where to look but they certainly used this part for a LONG time :)

So here's the lesson: Military vehicle mechanical parts may fit your car. Who knew????