WTB center console lens 1969 Riviera

kreed

I need  center console lens for my 69 Riviera with bucket seats . The plastic  lens is rectangle and about 2x 3 inches and fits at the very back of the console. Have looked everywhere - no luck so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thank you.

KReed

ROA 14549

Thanks for the reply- mine is still intact but literally crumbling away . Every time I get in the car , there are few more " crumbs " in the back floorboard ! Just waiting for it to fall apart ..... I suspect I Will have to try  the same thing you did and make one . 

KReed

ROA 14549

16 hours ago, kreed said:

Thanks for the reply- mine is still intact but literally crumbling away . Every time I get in the car , there are few more " crumbs " in the back floorboard ! Just waiting for it to fall apart ..... I suspect I Will have to try  the same thing you did and make one . 

KReed

ROA 14549

The suspended ceiling panels have slight flexibility.

Not ribbed but the frosted white has a smooth side to expose in the cabin.  You'll have plenty with one piece in case the first cut goes awry.

$10.00

074507996104.jpg

That truly is a piece of unobtainium you are looking for. When I decided I was doing the center console and bucket thing to my '70, I must have chased down at least 14 or 15 of these consoles. Even when the consoles looked to be in decent usable condition, that lens was always missing, broken or even warped like it had started to melt. So project buckets with shorty console was initiated instead. I wish you luck in finding one and will keep an eye out for ya. If you end up making one, I look forward to the details and progress! Good luck!

Made mine from an ice-cream container (pecan caramel) after a long and unsuccessful search. I attached some pictures of the process (cleaned up the frame after the pictured test fit).

Looking forward to seeing your solution.

BTW - can anyone provide a picture of the original lens?

Regards,

Alexander

2012-04-05-311.jpg

2012-04-05-319.jpg

2012-04-05-326.jpg

2012-04-07-357.jpg

2013-05-19-2534.jpg

2013-05-20-2555.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mannemerjung said:

Made mine from an ice-cream container

Excellent work. I especially like the little frame you made. Did you go down the back side of the console also or did you only go with a top lens?

BTW, your interior color looks the same as my 1969 Chev Caprice, medium green or is your interior gold? Hard to tell.

Edited by NCRiviera (see edit history)

22 hours ago, NCRiviera said:

Excellent work. I especially like the little frame you made. Did you go down the back side of the console also or did you only go with a top lens?

BTW, your interior color looks the same as my 1969 Chev Caprice, medium green or is your interior gold? Hard to tell.

I re-used the partly burnt out old lens as a frame for the new one, the lower part was still in good shape, so I re-did the top lens and kept the lower part.

The interior color is antique-gold. I am still in the restoration process, hence only some pictures from the upholstery-shop (original vinyl from sms autofabrics).

2012-04-05-318.jpg

2012-04-05-324.jpg

20151125_170924.jpg

20151125_171508.jpg

12238332_436235333231770_3150546516549818867_o.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a photo of the lens cover in question... I need one of these too for my '70!

This photo was taken at the ROA meet in Lexington and it's from the interior of Pat Curran's unrestored '69.  Sadly, the car has left the U.S. and is now overseas.

If someone were willing to let us borrow an original, they could be reproduced.  

I would love love to find one also to complete my car...

IMG_1106.JPG

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

I must have a thousand pictures of that car but none apparently showing the rear console lens. I'll be sure to take one next time I'm down in Florida again

I'll get the key under the door mat, Steve.

And I'll take her for a spin here in Fla B)

Edited by PWB (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12 October 2017 at 2:26 AM, BadgerRivFan said:

This photo was taken at the ROA meet in Lexington and it's from the interior of Pat Curran's unrestored '69.  Sadly, the car has left the U.S. and is now overseas.

????? and you know what,

we only take the good uns !

Rodney from down under

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ken

I'd be Lying if I said I haven’t given it thought. If only it had that little 2 letter badge on the front fenders. I really like the color, but think my wife would look better in it than me. Not to say she wouldn't look better in anything! 70s were never a favorite but this is second one now that caught my attention. The other was the blue/white GS in Cedar Rapids. Had that one been closer I’d have at least “ looked”. Don’t know if it ever sold. 

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, mannemerjung said:

Hi everybody,

there are reproductions popping up on eBay!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-1969-70-Riviera-Console-Rear-Lamp-Lens/123226471800?hash=item1cb0debd78:g:~BAAAOSw7UZbOnQu

Given the price, I will stick to my DIY-version, but maybe someone else is interested.

Alexander

The prices on these have actually come down on since they first came out last year. There has been a little feedback on FB. Generally they are being rated as a good buy for replacing the missing lens.

I think for what it is, it's not a bad reproduction until someone creates a more refined version.

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

One of the things that help to dissolve the lens is the heat generated from the incandesent bulb. Replace it with a LED bulb. Very little to no heat generated from the bulb. The lens on the rear of the console is really not in any direct sunlight so it has to be the bulb only causeing the deterioration.

Tom T.

20 hours ago, telriv said:

One of the things that help to dissolve the lens is the heat generated from the incandesent bulb. Replace it with a LED bulb. Very little to no heat generated from the bulb. The lens on the rear of the console is really not in any direct sunlight so it has to be the bulb only causeing the deterioration.

Tom T.

The interior continually heating and cooling could contribute to the deterioration of the original lenses, also (?) 

Bulb heat, same reason that the sail panel lights and console lights in the 1st generation cars yellow and crumble.  I know a guy who cuts lenses from gallon milk jugs. Once installed, you can’t tell unless you know what to look for.  I’m anxious to get my older stepson working on some repo stuff using his 3D printer. He’s already made a couple of housings and lenses for a couple bicycles that I’m restoring. 

The cooling/heating cycles of the vehicle has nothing to do with the detereoration/delamination of the lens as the heating & cooling cycles don't vary by 100's of degrees..   Have you ever touched even a small #194 bulb that's been on for 10 minutes???  IF you did let me know how it feels. Nevertheless a #90 or #89 bulb which would be a hell of a lot hotter.

How many of us have been cleaning out the interior/vacuuming or replaing some parts, etc. & have left the doors open sometimes for hours at a time while performing these tasks.  No one EVER thought about it then & really don't pay much attention to it now. How many will actually dis-connect a battery cable so the battery drains down so low now the battery has to be charged or jumped to start the vehicle.

We have ALL done it, including myself.

Tom T.