ChrisWhewell

1990 electrical issue

Some of you may recall reading my complaints about my 90, door locks and trunk lid automatically going off repeatedly, to the extent it would kill the battery. The answer ? I unhooked the red wire that supplies electricity to the trunk lamp. Problem solved. No trunk light but i'm good with it.

I do not know how they are related, but several owners have had a similar problem and disconnecting the keyless entry module has also solved the problem.

Maybe someone with a service manual and a Master degree in electrical engineering can solve the problem

• Haha 1

My best theory on it so far is that there's some kind of stray capacitance present when wire is connected to trunk lamp. And that it somehow causes something somewhere to go into oscillation or resonance.

Think- an incandescent bulb isn't a "dead short", or else it would blow a fuse. The bulb is a type of "resistor", right? It is allowing 12vDC to go to ground, close enough to an isolated positive, to allow a circuit. Electricity flows from negative to positive. Isn't the trunk lock solenoid on a '90 in the trunk, with other relays? I suspect that even if you dead shorted the trunk light- it wouldn't blow a fuse- but your ghosts would return, full force. The only "ground" the trunk lid has is through greasy hinges, and the latch- and it's solenoid that's directly fed from a relay.

Edited by 89RedDarkGrey (see edit history)

11 hours ago, DAVES89 said:

He's screwing with you...

Who is?  89Red?  I thought his answer was interesting and possible.  It has me thinking. 

I like to solve issues rather than disconnect but still I would probably disconnect and do without a trunk light.  The need for a trunk light in a collector car is not a huge issue. 

• Thanks 1

All the words he used are "good" but in the way he used them sounds like he was messing with us and 89RDG bit. Back in high school we used to talk about "positive eliminators" and stuff like that when we were screwin with someone. However I have been wrong before...

• Sad 1