alsfarms

Speedster Builds.............

Al - the all cast iron construction definitely places the carburetor prior to 1946, when Carter changed to a zinc allow bowl, and 6 bowl screws. It is also definitely not the universal 289S, as it does not have the universal throttle shaft or the fast idle linkage from choke to throttle.

My GUESS would be a Dodge truck or Chrysler marine engine to which someone has added the adjustable main metering jet.

Knowing the center-to-center mounting bolt spacing might narrow it down.

It still should at least start and run your engine, although probably not well.

Since yours is the second BB-1 question today, I am going to post the link to my website to the original Carter BB-1 service instructions here for all to view:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Service_Carter_BB_updraft.pdf

The key to idle issues on the BB-1 is the passage BENEATH the idle jet ("N" in the instructions diagram). THIS JET MUST BE REMOVED DURING REBUILDING.

The pump squirting fuel back into the fuel bowl is probably the result of failure of the pump inlet check valve. Both the pump inlet and outlet check valves ARE available, but due to their construction, they ARE expensive, so we do not place them in the repair kits. Generally, they can be cleaned, and their insertion into the kit would more than triple the cost of the kits!

However, neither the pump failure or a completely stopped up idle passage is preventing fuel from reaching the cylinders and allowing the engine to start. If the throttle is opened, say half way, and the choke is closed, the piston suction should pull fuel from the main metering circuit, allowing the engine to start and run at a higher than idle RPM.

Even though the carb obviously is not perfect, I don't think the carb is the current issue.

Jon.

• Like 1

I am going to post a couple of pictures showing the nice brass Maestrini fittings (imported from the UK) that will be used to fabricate the missing intake manifold for the 727 CID Wisconsin "T" head engine project.  These fittings will allow for the use of 1.900 OD SS pipe with a .065 wall thickness.  The Wisconsin rebuild will start after the Locomobile engine is completed.  The first picture show the profile of the fittings the next picture gives an overview for the configuration the manifold will take, using the fittings.  The legs running from the "Y" will either be straight or have a gentle arc. 

Al

DSC01805.JPG

DSC01806.JPG

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:21 PM, alsfarms said:

Jon,  Before I go any further with the trouble shooting process, I will verify NO VACUUM leaks.  That is an idea I had not thought of!

Al Put some oil in the cylinders to seal up the rings. If you have valve lash it should then suck.

• Like 1

Hello Mike,  The Locomobile engine  has new rings, valve seats, guides and etc.  I don't think I am loosing vacuum past the valves or rings.   Sat.,  we cranked over the engine using the D-B starter generator.  On the test stand it works great.  I will have the means to have a silent starter and also a generator in one nice package.  We modified the drive pulley to be compatible with a modern serpentine belt and adapted a spring tensioner to help track the belt and keep it tight.   That will allow me to use a battery to run the Delco dual spark distributor and tend the battery while driving the car.  The full pressure oiling system worked like a charm.  The tube that is pinched off, above the funnel, will run to the drip sight gauge mounted on the dash and verify that everything is being lubed properly.   We hooked up a hot wire, primed the petcocks and in less than two revolutions the old girl barked to life.  Right now I am dealing with a carb. problem, however.  Jon has made several suggestions and at this moment I do not know for sure if I will be staying with the Carter BB-1 or using a Stromberg SF-3.   I have a friend, with the same model Locomobile, that has been running great for about 10 years on a cast iron BB-1.  It was very exciting to hear the engine run after so many years of inactivity!  I need to get going on the chassis.  Many of the other important items are already completed and could be installed on the chassis when it's time.   This project has been quite a marathon!  Here are a few pictures that show where I am at with the Locomobile.

Al

IMG_20180630_111443735.jpg

IMG_20180630_111433483_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180306_101726436.jpg

IMG_20180630_111405355_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180630_111355715.jpg

IMG_20180630_111343924.jpg

IMG_20180630_111333189.jpg

Hello Mike,  Did you ever get a chance to go and visit the Harrah Collection while it was still intact under his ownership?  It was a business.  I can't even guess how many employees he had working to make it all happen.  I personally do not want to go to the work of rebuild and not know what I have until late in the game.  I have enjoyed the first short run but until I can rectify the carb. problem, that is all I will get.

Regards,

Al

Hello Dave,  Is it hot and dry this year in NM?  We are burning up here, literally.  I think we have 8 forest fires going at the moment.  Having the Locomobile engine this close to being DONE surely gives me the incentive to get after the balance of the car.  Most of the big items are completed already and are just waiting for install.  Have you done anything on your Nash?

Al

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)

No, fool that I am. However, I have found an outstanding painter in Mexico so we are getting close. I am hauling off at least one truck load of junk a week so I can make room. I can now reach my workbench!  I am restoring a Monarch Silver King bike. All aluminum.  I have a 1955 Clipper back half in Mexico being made into a couch. Metal work and paint : $800.00. I have 4 cars in a 3 car garage, so I have to make room. Projects on hold: 1942 Packards 160 convt coupe and 138 sedan, La Dawri fiberglass, 1946-47 Packard pickup with Packard White 6 cyl engine, and the wonderful Nash.  Just finished in Mexico a Coke Machine and 2 pedal cars. I am clearing the decks by getting small stuff done. 

hmmmm Dave, your story of space or lack of it and then being full of too much "stuff" rings a familiar chime.  Funny thing is we are not getting any younger.  I have actually moved some projects along, that I thought I had to have, on to other interested fellows as I consolidate my efforts on just a couple of projects.  (If I could just find a few pieces for the JD Harley, I may be done hunting....ya sure!)

Al

I now have a spare and very nice Zenith 63AW-11 (NOS) that I would like to sell.  This carb. was purchased to be installed on the Locomobile but was physically just to large.  See the picture.

Al

Zenith 63AW-11.jpg

Our good weather, out doors season, is nearing an end.  Does anyone building a speedster have good plans for significant progress on their project for this winter.  I have been involved with a shop enlargement project that may take me up to the time snow flies.  As a result, not much new, at the moment for speedster mechanics or progress.

Al

Al,

i have big aspirations for the winter. Harvest will be here in probably two weeks.

untill that's done I won't get much done on the project but have a vast majority of the components now so won't have to do much searching this winter and more building and fabricating. The t head showed 3200 miles on the odometer and I would have to think it's accurate from the looks of the internals. Looks like a hone, crank polish and valve and seat grind may get it in shape.

marc

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

• Like 1

Hello Marc,  How is your disc wheel building project going?  You may want to check the difference between the bead height of an old style "high pressure" sized tire and the bead height of a modern truck type tire that is made to fit the rim you have mounted to the lathe face plate.  You may have to groom the rim bead flange to properly fit an old style "high pressure" tire to your end product.  Please let me know what you determine.

Al

Al,

that is something that has crossed my mind. 

The rim that I have narrowed is an agricultural  wheel rim.The bead height is the same as the buffalo wheel rims. 

I think I lucked out on this issue. I hadn't thought of that till after I started narrowing the rim.

marc