Sign in to follow this  
Chasander

Steering gear and horn

I recently changed out my leaking steering gear box for one from Lares.  After completing I noticed my horns no longer worked. The lares unit came with a new rag joint,  the original  had a wire connecting the two sides of the joint. The lares joint does not. I put a jumper wire across the joint and the horns work. Should I have somehow rigged up a wire across this joint or is there another route for grounding the horns? What am I missing here?

Steering shaft needs to be grounded because the horn contact, which controls the horn relay, grounds to the steering wheel hub. Yes, install a ground wire

Tom Mooney

To keep the wire a part of the rotating assembly, the only place I see is a wire under the head of the gear shaft clamp bolt and jump over the joint to the flange on other side. I did a search on the forum and others don't seem to be having this problem.  This is never mentioned on the Lares tips for installing.

The rag joint Lares sold you is a joke if it doesn't already have a ground strap built into it. The best

thing to do is remove the rag joint and replace it with a good one that has a ground strap on it.