Sign in to follow this  
ericmac

1962 Lincoln convertible

I found one of my absolute holy grails, a rock solid '62 Continental convertible.  The back story on this car is lengthy and I will get to it as we go. Fist though the car. It is completely rust free, delivered new in California but later moved to Arizona and later back here to Michigan.

I found the car on Auto Trader Classics. It had been languishingin the back of an old Cadillac dealership on Woodward Avenue for over 10 years. As far as Ican tell the previous owner drove thecar less than 20 miles in the time he owned it.

Currently it is doing nothing but giving me a "click" when I turn the key but i have had it running and driving, so I'm thinking I have something minor going on.

Here is what I have to work with. The car has the desirable maroon interior, wood grain kit and factory air.

20161207_112017.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful car.  Great find. 

Re the click, that is the solenoid attempting to engage the starter circuit.  It is one of three possibilities.  The batter is discharged and too weak to turn the starter; the solenoid itself is defective; or the starter needs rebuilding.  Your solenoid may be part of the starter and is attached to the top of it or may be remote and sitting on a fender.  I would look first at the battery and its connections.  Keep us posted.

So far i have replaced the battery twice, the solenoid twice, all the battery cables, and the starter. I also added insulators to the solenoid bolts as i thought I may have inadvertently grounded out the solenoid.  So far nothing but a click. You should know this car has the wierd Ford powerbox with all the fuses and the solenoid low on the passenger side of the firewall.  It has to be something simple but i can't figure it out...yet.

It's the shifter.

Both the top mechanism and the ignition switch on these cars (and Thunderbirds) are tied into the shifter. Put it in neutral and I bet it starts. Or push the shifter up and down while turning the key and I bet you'll find the sweet spot where the circuit is closed and the starter solenoid can be energized. There's a safety switch built into the shifter so that the car can't be started and the top can't be operated without the car in Park. Due to the design of the shifter and the steering column, particularly on cars with swing-away steering columns, the mechanism is prone to coming out of adjustment and causing this exact problem.

Sorry I didn't get to this quickly enough that I could save you before you sent it to the shop, but give your mechanic a heads-up before he starts tearing things apart. I am 90% sure it's just that simple.

Hi Matt and all. I am awareof the lock out switch and tried that...and failed.  I will tell the mechanic about this as i agree, the switch is probably the most likely culprit. Thanks for this and I'll let you know how it goes.

2 hours ago, old car fan said:

To late as well. We had the same problem, and it was the connections in the power box ,passenger side firewall.Great car.

So what was wrong with your connections? I'm curious as i has to get in there when i replaced the solenoid.  I'm wondering if I made a mistake in there.

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions and the kind compliments about the car.

Eric,i  believe it was the positive side,out of the box.We spent 3 or 4 weekends just getting the mechanicals in order,top and doors.I do remember it was a brass bolt we replaced, and a bear.to do But .with these cars everything is. How is all your functions on the car?

Edited by old car fan (see edit history)

Some things on this car work, most do not. I bought the car knowing the top did not work but have a pretty good idea the problem is the relay that drives the pump after the deck is unlatched, which does work. The windows go up and down but the vent windows do not work, and the retractor mechanism on the rear doors does not operate.  The antenna does not work. I've not tried the seat or the air. Oddly the car has every available  option except speed control, though I'd like to add that. I  bought the car mainly because the body was exceptional and the price was beyond belief.  That being the case,  i knew i was going to have to fix some stuff.  I was right!

So it turned out that the problem was a bad ignition switch.  The car now starts and runs though I decided to hire a carn rebuild too. I am very good at disassembling carburetors and getting them back together,  only to have the car never running  again. I should have the car back just in time to welcome the snow.