41 Pontiac master cylinder proportioning valve

uscgjason

Hello all, I am replaced the master cylinder on my 41 Pontiac but had to use the same proportioning valve that came with it and it has a bit of a leak that I can't get to stop. Does anyone know of a place to source these parts?

I don't need the brake line connections or the brake light sensor just the tea for the most part. My dad was pretty good at sorcing these kinds of parts and has been my partner in this project until his unexpected passing in August and so now I'm trying to pick up the pieces. Any help is appreciated thanks

IMG_20171002_145016.jpg

IMG_20171002_144958.jpg

Jason, is the leak from the copper washers? If so replace with new copper washers or take yours off and heat them up with a torch and reinstall. If you had it apart and put the old washers back on, and not the exact position, the circular rings won`t be back in the grooves and will leak. Heating them will make the copper soft and the rings will make new grooves in the copper to seal. It would be best to replace the copper washers..  Tom

Are you sure the "TEE" is a proportioning valve????  I didn't think proportioning valves came about until disc brakes.  It looks just like a garden variety brake junction block.  See pictures below.  The first one that looks most like yours is Chevrolet and probably available from https://www.google.ca/search?q=chevs+of+the+40s&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_-brKmtvWAhVoylQKHTVmDRUQ_AUICSgA&biw=1280&bih=908&dpr=1  The others could be used.  It is real hard to order parts if one doesn't call it the right name.

41VmcUv1mwL__SY355_.jpg

Female-Brass-Cross-600-300x300.jpg

cross-fittings.jpg

4 hours ago, Tinindian said:

Are you sure the "TEE" is a proportioning valve????  I didn't think proportioning valves came about until disc brakes.  It looks just like a garden variety brake junction block.  See pictures below.  The first one that looks most like yours is Chevrolet and probably available from https://www.google.ca/search?q=chevs+of+the+40s&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_-brKmtvWAhVoylQKHTVmDRUQ_AUICSgA&biw=1280&bih=908&dpr=1  The others could be used.  It is real hard to order parts if one doesn't call it the right name.

41VmcUv1mwL__SY355_.jpg

Female-Brass-Cross-600-300x300.jpg

cross-fittings.jpg

I agree, not a valve..

Thanks for all the replies everyone. It's not a proportioning valve as far as I know I just didn't know what else to call it. It's not really a t now that I look at it it's more of a straight piece that has a hole in the middle so you have two ports one on each side and some sort of fitting going through the middle for the front brake line. I didn't replace the copper washers and that's probably my problem I'll give it a try thanks everyone.

I would add the following: I agree with these guys that it isnt a proportioning valve, but I would suspect there is a residual pressure valve in that stack of brass somewhere.

Yes, replace (or anneal) the washers. Tighten everything. On the double flares (tuning nuts), always hold both hexes when you loosen or tighten. Invest in a good quality tubing wrench in the size your tubing nuts are if you don't already have one.

Replace that stoplight switch. I once saw one of those short out and start to melt the wiring. They can also leak. It is a super common part used on a bunch of cars and even motorcycles. New ones are available that trigger on less pressure, too.

Edited by Bloo
oops, tubing wrench (see edit history)
  • Like 1