Throwout bearing lube?

GrahamPaige29

Hi guys.  Before I put my clutch back together I have a question. I bought a new throwout bearing. It fit fine. If you look at the pics the bearing hub has a lubrication nipple. Since this is inside the bell housing I believe it originally had a line attached that went to a grease nipple on the outside of the bell. See the pic.   I think in the old system grease pumped in worked its way through the bearing hub and out through tiny holes to the bearing.   You can see these small holes inside the hub.   Do you think it’s necessary to have the system back the way it was?  Is this model bearing not permanently sealed?  Does there have to be lubricant inside the hub?  Thanks. 

6085A17D-5AD7-4F65-8B71-136568DCA4DC.jpeg

6827ADE1-01EB-4306-959D-4219FE9697A8.jpeg

52C24EE5-ABD1-4803-9AB7-B4C0648DEC2E.jpeg

15B53F1C-D207-4460-AE23-1E4C44A4CBF7.jpeg

8BDFE371-90D1-4E03-BC00-94F2AD7EBB20.jpeg

My 32 Dodge Brothers has a similar setup.  It has a flexible braided hose that runs from the fitting on the bearing out through a grommeted hole in the bell housing to an accessible grease cup.  The manual suggests one turn of the grease cup top every 500 miles.

It seems like the bearing is sealed.  I can't see a way the grease could get into it.  Maybe the point of the lube is just to make sure the throwout bearing HUB can move forward and backwards???  Also, it seems like the hub is pretty loose on the shaft.  I guess that's normal?

It doesn't seem like it has an open groove in that area.  I will look at it again when I get home tonight.  I don't think it could hurt to hookup the same type of system with a braided cable and grease nipple.  Even if all it does is lubricate the hub, I guess it's important.  It's just been off for a loonnnng time in my estimation.

Might be meant to be oiled, not greased.

Franklins used a squirt of motor oil into an oilier cup, that is soldered onto the end of a copper tube, that extends through the bell housing to above the throwout bearing.  What you have is a thrust bearing and a carrier (holder) for it. The bearing is not sealed on it's inside diameter, the carrier does that. The small holes inside your T/O bearing's carrier are likely to allow oil to run down inside the carrier and drain into the bearing through those holes. Whereas grease would not easily go into those small holes and wind up where you don't want it.

Paul

Edited by PFitz (see edit history)

It seems to me the inside of the bearing should be lubricated...

image.png.b2ea090da9594c2878b78afa946f72d4.png

Is this the correct interpretation of the picture? The bearing has been pressed onto the carrier fitting and lubrication is required into the inside of the bearing through the carrier. The wee hole might be the overflow if you put too much grease in at once, or to let air out when you push in a little grease.

SH,

Your arrow labeled "bearing" is pointing to the wrong end of the carrier. That's the bearing's thrust face pointed toward the camera in that picture. And just inside that near end of the carrier, you can see the small hole that most likely leads to the inner ID of the bearing. By leading the oil into the inside ID of the carrier it lubes the rubbing surfaces of both the inside of the carrier and the bearing. 

Notice how all but a portion of the ends of the carrier's inner ID are machined to a slightly larger ID. That creats a dam affect at each end of the carrier's inside ID to help retain and direct oil to that hole to the bearing.

Paul

Hi Paul. I will check my lubrication chart. If it says that fitting takes "steam cylinder oil" you're right on. I'm going to take the bearing off the hub and examine the Id.   I can always add the hose to the hub and inject oil in there once in a while.  I want to get all this sorted out before the tranny goes on.  Thanks. 

It might be pretty hard to get that bearing off and back on without damage. Here is the bearing at FM.

http://www.fme-cat.com/overlays/part-detail.aspx?pNum=2005-35&partType=Clutch Release Bearing&brandId=NW

It looks like this:

image.png.386cda205da4b901628951840653d2da.pngimage.png.cb63e3d597b18bfcde3e5e10c2178f32.png

I think there is probably room to get grease into the bearing at the grooves you can see on the inside. The bearing is not said to be sealed. Its type (G-2) might indicate something about lubrication?