Imperial62

Performance Muffler Applications on Reattas

The SS came with it.  The 1988 serial #105 is the one that needs the new muffler. 

Having said that, the SS sounds great, has a decent amount of power (not sure the muffler adds any, but it might)  I'll get photos soon. 

Well shucks, I need a muffler but am having rotten luck. I tried looking up Walker 18240 but it was discontinued. Then I looked for Walker 12265, but all I found was a perf muffler with 2.5 inch inlet and outlet. Then I checked rockauto and they don't list a muffler for a 90 Reatta at all !!

Chris- THIS is a very cool site, one of those "we have nearly everything" places. Because something is "discontinued" don't limit yourself.

I think the dual setup I proposed earlier, and what Members Nittany and Retired w?Reatta have is superb; it's what a Reatta should've come with.

Retrojohnny's POST HERE was another fine choice, to keep the outlet "stock". You could just order the parts, and DIY if you're able.

Don't give up.

Edited by 89RedDarkGrey (see edit history)

Agree on not giving up.  Think a little outside the box.  You can do a short reducer/expander piece between the stock tailpipe and the performance muffler 2 1/2 and that solves that. 

I have photos of my SS dual with the stamp of the muffler # on it but I am traveling on business.   I meant to add when I had a moment.

• Like 1

No worries about the muffler. I hit a Deer last night doing about 50 when my headlights were on. It took off the headlamp piece that flips up and down, and a chunk out of the front left fender. Too bad, I enjoyed riding it. My next vehicle is going to be made of steel, with a huge deer-shredder on the grill

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ChrisWhewell said:

It took off the headlamp piece that flips up and down, and a chunk out of the front left fender. Too bad, I enjoyed riding it.

That sounds like you're giving up the whole car, now:unsure:

Those pieces are easily obtainable, and replaced. And- probably way cheaper than C5 parts.

This is a 1990 stock Camaro muffler.  I have since painted it flat black, except for the outlets, which are SS.  On the right side I cut out a piece of the black plastic to match the cut out on the left.

I like the look and it definitely sounds throatier.MVI_1663.MP4

IMG_1660.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought I'd get some comments about the sound.

It takes less than a minute to download.MVI_1663.MP4

S.

On 11/12/2017 at 6:26 PM, Retired w?Reatta said:

This is a 1990 stock Camaro muffler.  I have since painted it flat black, except for the outlets, which are SS.  On the right side I cut out a piece of the black plastic to match the cut out on the left.

I like the look and it definitely sounds throatie

IMG_1660.JPG

• Like 1

Stanley- I think it sounds beautiful- the way a "luxury sports car" should sound. A slight rumble for normal cruise, then aggressive & throaty when stepped on. If Buick had just done a few tweaks- the Reatta wouldn't have been such a failure. Optional manual trans, T-tops, true dual exhaust, maybe even an SC for '91 could've saved it a few more years. Going on 30 years- I really don't see how GM justified $28k for an '89. Other than the "upgrade" (:lol:) of TEVES ABS, and a touch screen that nobody (especially the target demographic of Customers) wanted- the Reatta was kind of "mundane". Yea, ok- "hand built" means what? Higher cost? "Attention to detail"? I'm the 3rd owner of my '89 #3111, and the only owner to work on it. I have found numerous stupid things wrong. The grommet for the trunk lock solenoid & light harness- was simply on the harness, but not snapped into it's hole. Every hinge (hood, door, trunk) was painted, and not one dab of grease or drop of oil applied. The 3-point cargo strap still in it's bag, rubber band, thrown under the spare tire. The first owner couldn't have cared less- and then it was a used up beater when his Daughter inherited it for 2 years- and then it sat, waiting for me.

I can't wait to do mine next year, among other much needed work. Is the bumper fascia hard to trim? I would think- just a piece of cardboard as a template?

Your Reatta is a beautiful example of what it should have been.

Thanks, I really like the sound also.

I agree that Buick could have done better to make the Reatta more marketable.  

But I also believe it's one of the better made cars out there.  I'm the second owner of my '90 and it just turned 233,000 miles: Original engine, original tranny.  Not many other cars can do that.

I still don't understand why there's no demand for them; there are a few in my neighborhood for sale in the $800 to $5,000 (ragtop) range.  Good condition but no takers.

Yes, I used a piece of cardboard as a template copied from the left side.  The bumper fascia was not hard to cut; I used a general purpose shop scissor.

• Thanks 2

I really like the Borla Cat-Back system ... Looks like I would have to modify the rear to accommodate the dual exhaust  however would definitely look and sound nice.  Has anyone ever done this type of exhaust on their Reatta?

https://www.borla.com/

8 hours ago, NCBRIJEN said:

Has anyone ever done this type of exhaust on their Reatta?

Even though the "Enter Your Car Info" section dummied-up the second I typed "1989 Buick Reatta" and there were "No Results Found" I still entered my info on the "Request Page".

I will get back here with their response.