RICHELIEUMOTORCAR

1916-17 Oldsmobile 7 passenger V8 big touring car.

Update, I just pulled out the 29 DeSoto rumble seat roadster. First full year of the DeSoto. It's been sitting since 1952. It drove in under it's own power. Still has the 52 plates on it and a 53 inspection sticker on the window. I am pretty sure the car will run again. The car is complete and the frame is solid. Rockers and running boards need to be replaced. Bottom of front fenders need to be patched. I may have extra rockers, running boards and fenders but until I find them, I can not promise the parts. Most likely the only original example left. I will post photos soon.

Edited by RICHELIEUMOTORCAR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The 29 DeSoto roadster is now available. Photos are just as I pulled it out of 65 year storage. Five known to still exist and this makes number six. Frame and underbody is strong. Rockers and running boards are available. I may have a good set still in storage. The entire car along with the chrome was coated with cosmoline which helped preserve the car. Photos are just after I gave the car a good bath.

IMG_5188.JPG

IMG_5189.JPG

IMG_5187.JPG

IMG_5191.JPG

IMG_5192.JPG

IMG_5194.JPG

IMG_5195.JPG

IMG_5193.JPG

Edited by RICHELIEUMOTORCAR (see edit history)

I am also trying to ID a number of very early wood car bodies and other parts from the brass era, which we have had in storage for at least 75 to 80 years or more. Please see my post under "Horseless Carriages" Pre 1916. I posted many photos. I would be very thankful if anyone can ID some of the early car bodies.

IMG_5172.JPG

5 hours ago, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

The 29 DeSoto roadster is now available. Photos are just as I pulled it out of 65 year storage. Five known to still exist and this makes number six. Frame and underbody is strong. Rockers and running boards are available. I may have a good set still in storage.

IMG_5186.JPG

IMG_5183.JPG

What is your asking price on the 16/ 17 Olds?  I am considering starting  a new project in my garage and that looks like a good one to start with.

Thanks,

Jerry

574-952-4550

Indiana

1 hour ago, voced said:

What is your asking price on the 16/ 17 Olds?  I am considering starting  a new project in my garage and that looks like a good one to start with.

Thanks,

Jerry

574-952-4550

Indiana

Hi there Jerry. Send me a pm and we will talk. The price will be more than fair. Thank you.

18 hours ago, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

Hi there Jerry. Send me a pm and we will talk. The price will be more than fair. Thank you.

Don't know how to send you a PM from here.  Jerry

In the upper right hand corner of this screen there is an envelope. Click on it . From there you will be able to send a private message  to him  or you can just click on his name and message from there 

Two 1920s Hudsons are out and available. Get your chance now because this is a one time deal. I am not going to be listing cars here forever. Stuff is moving fast. Whatever sells within a reasonable time will be fine but after a point, the rest will just stay locked away and the next generation can deal with them. I must say however, not too many serious buyers from this site. Mostly overseas interest. I would like to see at least some of the cars stay in the US and I would also like to see some of our AACA club members have first chance. You are not going to find rare barn find original cars like I have been listing just anywhere....

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎15 at 9:01 AM, RICHELIEUMOTORCAR said:

Two 1920s Hudsons are out and available. Get your chance now because this is a one time deal. I am not going to be listing cars here forever. Stuff is moving fast. Whatever sells within a reasonable time will be fine but after a point, the rest will just stay locked away and the next generation can deal with them. I must say however, not too many serious buyers from this site. Mostly overseas interest. I would like to see at least some of the cars stay in the US and I would also like to see some of our AACA club members have first chance. You are not going to find rare barn find original cars like I have been listing just anywhere....

It's evidence of the economic woes that many potential middle class North American buyers are facing.  There are certainly lots of wealthy North Americans , however most are shopping rather upmarket from an interesting but none the less very needy Desoto.  It's a great project for someone with significant time and skill and space and disposable income. But at least one of these requirements is lacking in many middle class households these days.  Unfortunately a Desoto is just a Desoto regardless of the fact it is a very interesting Roadster. A solid middle class car that is still appealing to a mainly middle class potential buyer.  Most of us in this category already have at least one lifetimes worth of projects , and as often as not a dwindling hobby budget.

The car is remarkably complete however time has not been kind to it. The sheet-metal shows substantial serious rust even in your photos, in person I expect it is even worse.. Most of us have enough experience to realise that bringing this one back to life is going to require some extremely skilled metal work. The Rt. front fender / running board junction and left lower trunk lid are a hint of the scale of work the car is going to require. At this point in life there are scant few of us that can undertake this sort of commitment .

Those that have the disposable income to have someone else do the metalwork want a car that is at least 2 or 3 times as valuable as the potential sales price of a Desoto roadster. Probably at least a CCCA classic eligible car.

Europe is a much different market. The wealthy in many cases are willing to spend substantial sums on what is "just" a middle class car here in North America. North Americans with disposable income are spoiled by all the Cadillac, LaSalle, Pierce, Packard,Marmon, Stutz, Buick 90 series ,Lincoln, Chrysler Imperial and similar cars available. 

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

It's evidence of the economic woes that many potential middle class North American buyers are facing.  There are certainly lots of wealthy North Americans , however most are shopping rather upmarket from an interesting but none the less very needy Desoto.  It's a great project for someone with significant time and skill and space and disposable income. But at least one of these requirements is lacking in many middle class households these days.  Unfortunately a Desoto is just a Desoto regardless of the fact it is a very interesting Roadster. A solid middle class car that is still appealing to a mainly middle class potential buyer.  Most of us in this category already have at least one lifetimes worth of projects , and as often as not a dwindling hobby budget.

The car is remarkably complete however time has not been kind to it. The sheet-metal shows substantial serious rust even in your photos. Most of us have enough experience to realise that bringing this one back to life is going to require some extremely skilled metal work. The Rt. front fender / running board junction and left lower trunk lid are a hint of the scale of work the car is going to require. At this point in life there are scant few of us that can undertake this sort of commitment .

Those that have the disposable income to have someone else do the metalwork want a car that is at least 2 or 3 times as valuable as the potential sales price of a Desoto roadster. Probably at least a CCCA classic eligible car.

Europe is a much different market. The wealthy in many cases are willing to spend substantial sums on what is "just" a middle class car here in North America. North Americans with disposable income are spoiled by all the Cadillac, LaSalle, Pierce, Marmon, Stutz, Buick 90 series ,Lincoln, Chrysler Imperial and similar cars available. 

Greg in Canada

Well, I'm not so sure about that Greg. The cars are moving, however, I must say that very few buyers have come from our AACA forum and that is a shame. Many buyers are from the US. Buyers have also come in from all over Europe and Asia and some of the cars are going overseas. As for your DeSoto comment, a Desoto is not just a DeSoto when it's an open roadster. I also have a DeSoto open touring car. When was the last time any of us saw one, if ever? Collectors will pay for the right cars, rough or not and the demand will always be there. The Economy does not effect the old car trade the way you might think it does. Good times or not, people look to buy old cars as an investment or just for a good feeling inside the soul. My 32 DeSoto roadster was in worse shape, it was very rusty but it still sold for over 20k to a happy buyer because it is very much a wanted car by collectors all over the world. If it was a 32 Ford roadster, it would have sold for twice that amount, rust and all. The best offer I had on the 29 roadster so far was 6100. That was the final Ebay bid and the top bidder did offer 6500 after the auction ended. Close but not quite enough to do all the hard work that is involved just to get the car out. I will get it running/driving in the spring and offer the car again where it will bring 10k or better. I have been doing this my whole life so far. I know the market and exactly what I am doing and I know what I have here. Many people seem to forget that if it was not for guys like my family members who were smart enough to grab hold of all these cars 75 years ago, they would not even exist today. We should thank them, not fuss over how much work the cars need now. Hey, we did the best we could to keep the cars inside. The ones that were left out were covered well and coated with cosmoline which did help. Places like mine just do not exist anymore. Would I like the cars to stay in the USA? Heck Yes, however, the one who shows the bread, gets the meal from King Tut's Tomb of rare cars.

It's been discussed before that, for some reason, the AACA forums is not a good place to sell a car.  Every now and then a member/poster jumps on a car, but not very often.

I wish I could buy that Pierce from you, but I just don't have the place to keep it, not to mention the broken income I'm on now that I'm retired.  Everyone calls it a fixed income, I wish someone would come fix mine!