1930 tudor sedan deluxe

Guest Steve Kirton

Guest Steve Kirton

I purchased a 1930 Model A that has not been started for at least six years and has not been driven since 1976.  I replaced the motor electrical wiring from the dash cluster to the generator.  I am in the process of working on the gas lines, gas bowl and carburetor.  My question is what is the best way to go about draining the carburetor or checking to see if the carburetor is good yet?  Should I remove the carburetor and take it apart?  I would like to get the car running.

Model A carbs have only one bolt holding them together so disassembly  is easy. There is also a bowl drain plug but it would probably be better to take it apart for cleaning. The jets should also be checked but be aware of any gaskets under the jets that may get stuck or lost. In cleaning the jets, be careful not to enlarge the orifices which can cause bad mixtures.There also may be a brass seat in the choke/ mixture control rod tube that may need checked. Some folks don't know that the choke rod is also used to adjust the starting and driving fuel mixtures.If you are new and unfamiliar with Model A's , I would suggest purchasing some of the many publications available as help guides. They are simple cars, but do have tolerences that need to be followed to have them run correctly. 

• Like 1