The bus has left the building...

1937hd45

Guest SaddleRider

THE BUS ?     Can we have some more details, please.    Did you know that there is more than one bus  on the planet  ? Do we get to know what make, model, series, etc?    Maybe even a photo or two ? 

I judged a pretty big bus at Hershey maybe 15+ years ago. I was doing engines and it was under the floor boards, big straight 6 or 8 laying on it's side. I laid on my back to judge what I could see. You had to remove seats to get to the top half so they were not required to open that side.

33 minutes ago, Jim Bollman said:

I judged a pretty big bus at Hershey maybe 15+ years ago. I was doing engines and it was under the floor boards, big straight 6 or 8 laying on it's side. I laid on my back to judge what I could see. You had to remove seats to get to the top half so they were not required to open that side.

Jim,

Maybe you saw something like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=26000&d=1387766285

I've encountered these "inclined" diesels on boats, but I don't know why they wouldn't mount them in buses or other large vehicles.

Cheers,

Grog

Reminds me of a display one of our members in Wellington talked about. He was Manager of Mitsubishi Trucks NZ and had the factory send him a dry truck (that wasn't easy!). He displayed it upside down above another, with a catch phrase something like "No matter which way you look at it, Mitsubishi trucks are ....."

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

..............................Just got word that THE BUS has left Bethlehem, Connecticut on a special rented Low Boy and is on its way to HERSHEY. Largest vehicle ever to be on an AACA show field, IF they can get it on the show field. Bob 

I had read that the bus from the movie The Big Bus had been scrapped.

Did someone restore it?  Making the turn onto North Hockersville Road with this bus to get to the show field would be something to see. 

Would also have to widen the entrances and lanes on the showfield.

Image result for the big bus cyclops photo

I saw the bus in question while visiting friends in Conn. It was being restored by a very well known Mack restorer. I heard it was a challenge to find a trailer because of the height restrictions on the highways.

Probably the funniest comment that Matt made to me was that cleaning it is like cleaning a mall. Unfortunately, driving on the dry gravel  and with the engine creating quite a wind storm behind it, he and his crew had to spend a little time cleaning it before I photographed it. I'm sure they had to clean it again before and after getting it onto the show field on Saturday.

• Haha 1

Guest SaddleRider
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 12:15 PM, CarlLaFong said:

What is this "bus" of whom you speak??

I don't think you are being fair to the way many people express themselves these days.   Havn't you seen over and over again people talking, for example, about  "my '35  or "my '52" ?

You just need to get yourself in the right frame of mind to understand what is going on in their heads.  To them,  what THEY have and what THEY do is the center of their Universe.        If you don't see the world thru their eyes,  that is YOUR problem.

As best as I am able to piece together from the posts & photos in this particular thread,   someone has done a beautiful job of restoring a standard Greyhound bus;  at one time there were many hundreds,   if not thousands, of identical vehicles roaming the highways and byways of the USA.  If memory serves,  they were called SenicLiners or VistaLiners or something like that.

Yes - there was a time when folks placed value in "precision of speech".   For example...."I have a '35 Hudson"....or " I have a  '52 Chevrolet 3500 series 1 ton stake truck"........

But that was then.   Now...the important thing is to feel good about what you say.  

Edited by SaddleRider (see edit history)

Our church had a retired Seniccruiser  for several years for activities in the late 80's. I drove it many times with a load of teens going on various trips. It had lots of features not common on vehicles made in the 50's such as air conditioning, power steering, air ride, etc. The ac compressor could only turned on with the engine at idle or it would throw the belts but was good at any rpm after the initial start . The old Detroit engine was great but it only had a 4 speed transmission which gave you a real workout in the mountains. The air bags on the right side would leak down before the ones on the left and was a sight to see in a parking lot leaning over a tiny car parked next to it. Fire it up, give it 3 or 4 minutes to build up the air pressure and it would level out and be ready to go. Even well worn by years use by Greyhound, it never let us down.  Would love to drive one again.

Edited by Fleek (see edit history)
  • Like 1