Making a dash for a '31 Chrysler CD8 Roadster

Gunsmoke

This thread will deal with a task few if any will have to ever do, but may offer some suggestions on what to do and what not to do. As seen in photos, when I pulled my "barnfind" 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster out of hiding in late 2014, a PO had chopped the original dash and all it's gauges out, and installed what appears to have been a dash from a '33 era Chevrolet, along with miscellaneous gauges, most from an MG-B. After removing Chev dash, first task was to rough out a trial dash from 18 gauge steel (turned out too thin to avoid oil canning). Second task was to find some original gauges, proper ignition/coil, and choke/heat riser pulls and dash lights, 2 years of hunting found 4 of the 5 gauges (still need correct oil gauge), and a suitable coil. Repo dash lights may need to use until correct ones come along. same for pulls. Made final dash  from 16 gauge steel. To create the 3/4" 90 degree return on lower edge, I clamped lower edge between to pieces of birch shaped to match the slight curve of lower edge, and used body hammer to make decent return. Dash requires 2" and 2&5/8" holes for gauges, and a 13.75" wide backing plate that requires holes 2&1/8" and 3&1/8", along with back welded #12 bolts. To space the 11 bolts correctly for welding and keep them perpendicular to panel, made a jig as shown, set bolts in wood, placed steel on top and mig welded from back. Also had to make bracket for ignition/coil combination.  After carefully fitting everything in place including test fit into dash opening, some metal prep and primer cleans it up and protects it for now, will do a final install in cowl in a few weeks. I include a pic off internet of someone's nice dash. I'm just a hobby car restorer, just basic tools, limited experience, lots of patience. If anyone knows of some nice proper dash lights, and an oil pressure gauge, (2" diameter/white face similar to those shown), let me know. I cobbled one together for test fit using guts from an earlier Mopar car, and bezel from an SW gauge. Neither is perfect, but I may have to use for now. 

IMG_2968B.jpg

IMG_3016.JPG

IMG_3256.JPG

IMG_3660.JPG

CD8 Detail6.jpg

IMG_4829.JPG

IMG_4830.JPG

IMG_4828.JPG

IMG_4831.JPG

IMG_4834.JPG

IMG_4840.JPG

IMG_4841.JPG