1965 Gran Sport for sale - Scam

Guest Dantana

That picture was lifted from a mecum auction website and this car has been for sale for several years. There is also

a picture of a black 65 GS with redline tires that has been for sale for 10 cents on the dollar for many years. I wonder how

many people get taken by these scam cars. They must be making money or else they would stop doing it. The old adage

if it sounds too good to be true, it certainly is applies here. Usually it is supposedly a woman selling the cars and people get

duped because they think it is cheap because the woman doesn't know what it is worth. If you google search 1965 Rivieras

for sale on Oodle classifieds, you will see the car come up as being for sale in numerous locations all around the United States.

Oodle is a good way to spot the scam cars.  Currently the car in question is for sale in both Chicago and St. Louis.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

That same ad but with a different picture just showed up on the Kansas City Craigslist.

But in the KC ad, the code letters in the title are different and the price is a few dollars more.  

The "seller" in the KC ad has a northwest Missouri telephone number.  He must make some scores to be able to afford to list different phone numbers in different areas of the country.

Any way to report this as a hoax?

nif V8 Buick Riviera Gran Sport twpfc - $11574

20 minutes ago, RivNut said:

The "seller" in the KC ad has a northwest Missouri telephone number.  He must make some scores to be able to afford to list different phone numbers in different areas of the country.

Any way to report this as a hoax?

A lot of VOIP companies allow you to specify the area code of the number which is assigned to you.  You can then change it at will and/or add other numbers to the same account.  You might also be able to select the area code on a burner phone.

Craigslist does have the capability of reporting a listing, although I have no idea how likely you are to to get an ad pulled.

Its on the LA CL too. I wonder what the scam is? Something involving Paypal? I see a lot of ads saying no paypal.

I've seen another set of ads for really nice cars for extremely cheap, and they always have sparse details, and a gmail address printed on the picture itself. It's usually some variation of a woman's name. They seem to pull them off pretty fast.