RichBad

1927/28 Dodge Brothers series 128/129 Tourer

My 32' Olds has the same type of oil filled fan hub which I too, was going to change over to sealer bearings but all I needed to do was re-bush the hub.

Edited by chistech (see edit history)

9 hours ago, chistech said:

My 32' Olds has the same type of oil filled fan hub which I too, was going to change over to sealer bearings but all I needed to do was re-bush the hub.

I would have liked to keep mine original but unfortunately someone had previously replaced the main housing with a flange/bush assembly (which was knackered).  I think the original pot metal casting doesn’t always last too well.  Did yours have the gear pump at the front?

Edited by RichBad (see edit history)

The Olds has a flat plate at the front of the main shaft that looks like a scoop. There are four 1/8" holes evenly spaced at 0, 90, 180, 270  and while the hub rotates, oil comes in through those holes, is scooped up buy the front plate and then pressure from the centrifugal force pushed oil down a spiral groove on the main shaft lubricating the bushings. There is a slinger on the other end which helps keep all the oil in the hub body. There is no actual seal on the shaft at the back end.  

• Thanks 1

The gears fit between two flat plates. Are those plates smooth with no wear beside the gears? if there is wear it is best to machine those surfaces so there is very small clearance to the gears. Can you post pics of the top of the bottom plate and the inside of the housing?

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Spinneyhill said:

The gears fit between two flat plates. Are those plates smooth with no wear beside the gears? if there is wear it is best to machine those surfaces so there is very small clearance to the gears. Can you post pics of the top of the bottom plate and the inside of the housing?

Thanks, I added some photos to the original post.  The bottom plate looks pretty good, there are some marks but nothing you can feel.  The housing also looks quite good, there are a few localised corrosion pits but doesn’t look like there is a lot of wear.  With the gears installed they sit flush (perhaps very slightly proud) to the body.  There was a gasket between the  body and bottom plate so I guess that gives some clearance to the gears.  What size gasket should be used (assuming it is supposed to have one) and what endfloat should the gears have?

cheers

richard

Here is my oil filled fan hub with it's new bronze bushings. Simple design that has worked well. The shaft had such minimal wear that it didn't need any replacement and the play in the new bushings is virtually nil. Seems to be very similar to your Dodge's.

IMG_0498 (1).jpg

IMG_0500 (1).jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

• Like 1

Those damn rubber pieces add up the $$$$$ pretty quickly. By the time you’re done it’s easy to have $1,000-1,500 into rubber alone on a 4dr closed car.

Oil pump finished - picked thinnest gasket possible, resulted in ~ 0.002” end float on the gears.

Anyone know what the front pipe is for - it just feeds to the other side of the mesh (bypassing the filter).  I guess it was a crude bypass if the mesh becomes completely clogged - but if it got to that stage then the oil that it would be picking up wouldn't be great!

C653955E-FF50-47A0-9DA3-4CF99D143FE9.thumb.jpeg.4303a9537de940846e7c23033bb25ae3.jpeg

Edited by RichBad (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Just discussed this with my machine shop and we are also using the thinnest gasket material for close tolerances for better pressure. My 32' Olds 6 is a full pressurized system and even has rifle drilled rods for pump fed wrist pin lubrication. Because of this the whole motor's tolerances have to be tighter. The pickup screen on the Olds is about 6-7" in diameter much larger than most I've seen. 

Shackles all finished.  Rebored and bushed to take out the wear, zinc plated and painted.  Thanks to Bob B for the parts, they look a bit different now:)

6F786D05-6561-411F-A46A-FFEDB1FBF451.thumb.jpeg.9efb4968ca2d4ab1336477318770323e.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thought you might appreciate this. Look at the size of my oil pump's pickup screen. It's a fully pressurized system that was ahead of it's time.

IMG_0536.jpg

• Like 1

That's a big screen - what's the purpose of the metal shield around the outside of the screen - does it help stop oil surge?

15 minutes ago, sligermachine said:

i have a 1929 4 door doge brothers . don't know if u need any thing pitchers demotions  if it is close enuf for cross reference anyway kyle 

Thanks - I think the frame may be quite similar.  Do you have any photos around the front cross member showing where it meets with the main frame?

Thanks