Lincoln Roadster/Cabrolet

John Kelso

• 2 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:42 AM, JAK said:

Hi Mike ,  never knew being able to swing a hammer would do that. Thanks , have a great Holiday season. John

John , When I restored my Auburn phaeton, I bought the Yale Junior locks from you or your brother...The quality was PERFECT! And great value !

Yes, I was referring to an Aussie I have done business with, anyway.......Jack Passy was the go to Lincoln K guy for the last fifty years. He recently passed and his large collection of Lincoln’s were sold off. It may be worth your time to track down where they went, he had all very nice custom bodied cars that were mostly original and many were roadsters and convertibles. I’m sure someone on the site here knows where some of his cars ended up. Lincoln’s are under valued and under appreciated so you should be able to find what your looking for,without too much trouble. Buy a good one, as they are expensive to work on. Good luck!

Hi Mike,

Yes those locks came from me, I was pretty heavy into those 31 to 33 Auburns and made quite a few parts. I regret having that part get away although I retained a few things.

Thanks for the offer of the Franklin, fine cars, but I have a 24 Lincoln and its such a great car I think I'll stick with looking for a K.

Click on "Swap Meets" under "Meets and Tours" above. Enter "Passey Estate Sale" , (please note spelling) , in the search box. Send a P.M. to Linus Tremaine who may be of some help to you. Keep us in mind as having interest in your find. To keep us pacified for a while , please show us some pics of your car(s) if possible. Also , I am particularly curious about comparisons between the Leland single plane crankshaft Lincoln 60 degree V8 , and it's Cadillac 90 degree V counterpart from 1915 - 1923. 1924 saw the introduction of the inherently balanced two plane crankshaft V8 for Cadillac , so it might or might not be fair to compare this with the Lincoln. I have always thought that since Leland's Lincoln came so much after his first V8 for Cadillac , there must have been a very good reason to go to a 60 degree V over the original 90. I have a fair amount of experience with Cadillac engines of the Leland era , but zero Leland Lincoln. Maybe best to start a topic in "General" , maybe simply titled "Leland Early V8 Engineering". Great place for pics too. What do you think ?   - Carl

• Like 1

Thanks Carl. I think the development of the Leland Lincoln engine has been well covered by the Lincoln Owners Club in the Fork and Blade over the past years. 

So far as a comparing it to a Cadillac V8 I doubt it. I will probably incur the wrath of Cadillac disciples here but in my humble opinion a pre war Lincoln is a much better built

car than a Cadillac. I can say this with a bit of knowledge because a couple of years ago I bought a 1929 Cadillac, and own a 1924 Lincoln still do . The Cadillac was appealing because of the  transmission and four wheel brakes. The Lincoln had set the standard for me and the  build quality of the Cadillac was very disappointing, so much so it was soon sold.

Just my opinion.

Don Barlup has had a 1926 Lincoln touring car for sale:

he advertised it in our A.A.C.A. region's newsletter.

I think it has HPOF certification, and I'd say it's in #3 condition.

I know you asked for a roadster or convertible, but I 

mention this just in case---one doesn't see many 1926 Lincolns,

and until he joined the Lincoln and Continental Owners' Club,

there were absolutely no 1926 Lincolns in their roster.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2017 at 7:19 PM, C Carl said:

Click on "Swap Meets" under "Meets and Tours" above. Enter "Passey Estate Sale" , (please note spelling) , in the search box. Send a P.M. to Linus Tremaine who may be of some help to you. Keep us in mind as having interest in your find. To keep us pacified for a while , please show us some pics of your car(s) if possible. Also , I am particularly curious about comparisons between the Leland single plane crankshaft Lincoln 60 degree V8 , and it's Cadillac 90 degree V counterpart from 1915 - 1923. 1924 saw the introduction of the inherently balanced two plane crankshaft V8 for Cadillac , so it might or might not be fair to compare this with the Lincoln. I have always thought that since Leland's Lincoln came so much after his first V8 for Cadillac , there must have been a very good reason to go to a 60 degree V over the original 90. I have a fair amount of experience with Cadillac engines of the Leland era , but zero Leland Lincoln. Maybe best to start a topic in "General" , maybe simply titled "Leland Early V8 Engineering". Great place for pics too. What do you think ?   - Carl

CARL; YEP-i'M STILL AROUND AND VERTICAL!  The best description of the Lincoln "L" engine I can give is "It was the forerunner of the automatic transmission."

My high gear is good for 3MPH to 85MPH.  I built the engine for a customer(now deceased) . It's no longer 385 CID , it's a 404 !!! 

Car is a 1929 Locke Roadster 

Happy Healthy New Year , my friend ! I think it is 1/2 hour to 2018 back there in the West Virginia mountains ! Looks like I will finally get to drive my '27 Cadillac back. Health is holding. If you get some time , please give me a call on the 408-621-8261 number I gave you. I hope you are warm , seems most of the country is starting the New Year unusually cold. Not so here , it is beautiful for New Years Eve , and Jan 1st. Sunny , daytime in the 40s , all signs of our rare White Christmas have melted. ???????? !!!   - Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Hi JAK, 

I found a 1929 Lincoln ¨L¨ for you.  Some merchandiser called Classic Car Deals has it listed on allcollectorcars.com.

It´s a 1929 Roadster with a Locke body. Nice looking, if you can get past the color...but is a Roadster and it is a Lincoln. F/S @ $145,000.  I agree with you on your preference for pre-war Lincolns. My Aunt & then my Grandfather had a Lincoln 7-Pass. Sedan from 1921 to 1974....original....ran like a watch....and that´s always been my benchmark for a luxury car.

There was a Lincoln shown at the 1926 Chicago Auto Salon painted ¨Venezuelan Woodpecker Yellow¨ -- maybe that´s what they were thinking when last painted.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Sorry Dave, my fingers were skipping over the keyboard.....

1932 Lincoln KB D/C V-12 very nice car, fantastic driver. Only brought 125k. Explain that one......

RM Auction in Arizona. 

The Lincoln may be the Best Buy I have ever seen at an auction on a CCCA Classic.

On 1/20/2018 at 7:43 PM, edinmass said:

Sorry Dave, my fingers were skipping over the keyboard.....

1932 Lincoln KB D/C V-12 very nice car, fantastic driver. Only brought 125k. Explain that one......

RM Auction in Arizona. 

The Lincoln may be the Best Buy I have ever seen at an auction on a CCCA Classic.

I was amazed by that, too.  Beautiful open V12 car, 1st in class at Pebble <15 years ago, and goes for under $130K.  

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/AZ18/Arizona/lots/r175-1932-lincoln-model-kb-dual-cowl-sport-phaeton/565998

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

16 hours ago, alsancle said:

From the catalog description:  "Mr. Kovanda recalls that the work included an entire new body,"

Fair point, I would assume that's why.  Still, if it's right that the chassis and engine numbers are for that body, $128K seems like a great deal. 

There is a group of collectors who look at a rebodied car as 1/2 a step up from a replica as opposed to a 1/2 a step down from a correct car.   128k seems like  a great deal until you try to sell it again and can't get the 128k back.   You are much better off spending your money on a lesser, but correct car.