Replacement carpet set for '65 Riv

65VerdeGS

Any of you replace your carpets recently?  Where did you buy your carpet set?   Were you happy with it?

Which vendors provide correct molded carpet sets (front/back/bottom of doors) for the '65 Riviera?

My car is Verde Green, with dark green Custom interior.  The carpeting is dark green.  I believe the Trim Code for my car is 620.

I scanned the latest issue of the "Riview" classified ads and didn't see any vendors selling molded carpet sets for Rivieras.

A related question:  Are the carpet sets for all '63-65 Rivieras the same?  Is there a different carpet set depending if you have a car with Standard or Custom interior?

Is the original carpet set molded?  Or must the carpets be made up from "flat" carpet?  Would SMS in Oregon be a source?

A few years back I bought dark green seat covers from Clark's Corvair to recover my front bucket seats.  The dark green vinyl was an almost perfect match in color and grain to the OEM vinyl.  But, the rear carpeted sections (facing the back seat) were a noticeably lighter shade of "metallicky" green.  I spray painted over these sections in an effort to match the original carpet - it helped, but the difference is still noticeable.

Any tips/ideas?

1 hour ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Any of you replace your carpets recently?  Where did you buy your carpet set?   Were you happy with it?

Which vendors provide correct molded carpet sets (front/back/bottom of doors) for the '65 Riviera?

My car is Verde Green, with dark green Custom interior.  The carpeting is dark green.  I believe the Trim Code for my car is 620.

I scanned the latest issue of the "Riview" classified ads and didn't see any vendors selling molded carpet sets for Rivieras.

A related question:  Are the carpet sets for all '63-65 Rivieras the same?  Is there a different carpet set depending if you have a car with Standard or Custom interior?

Is the original carpet set molded?  Or must the carpets be made up from "flat" carpet?  Would SMS in Oregon be a source?

A few years back I bought dark green seat covers from Clark's Corvair to recover my front bucket seats.  The dark green vinyl was an almost perfect match in color and grain to the OEM vinyl.  But, the rear carpeted sections (facing the back seat) were a noticeably lighter shade of "metallicky" green.  I spray painted over these sections in an effort to match the original carpet - it helped, but the difference is still noticeable.

Any tips/ideas?

Request samples so that you can match what you have.  If you're replacing EVERY SQUARE INCH of carpet, no one will notice a shade of difference.  In their catalog, Clarks advertises both molded and sewn carpet sets.  I think an earlier thread came to rhetoric conclusion that ACC is probably the only manufacturer of molded carpets.  Everyone else is a distributor.  Or, clean up what you've painted and get Clarks carpet to match what you've already gotten from them.

ACC carpet is your only source. They don't sell direct, but you can go to their website to find vendors of their products and

a color chart for their 80/20 loop carpet. They only have one dark green on the color chart.......no. 08 That will be  your choice as there is no other 

dark green available. I have the 620 interior in my car and in looking at the 08 carpet online I would say  that it is a little lighter and a little more green and less teal than

what is in my car. You can send off for a sample card and then you will know for sure what you are getting before you order it.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

I just replaced my dark green carpet in my 65 with Clark's cut/sewn and love it.  Definitely agree to get samples first as I will now be replacing the carpet on my door panels and kick plates as well.  Luckily Clark's includes enough extra with their cut/sewn package to do just that.  Previous owner had put down a molded dark green loop that was definitely a different shade so redoing it all.

20170528_153808.jpg

3 hours ago, Crazy4cruz said:

I just replaced my dark green carpet in my 65 with Clark's cut/sewn and love it.  Definitely agree to get samples first as I will now be replacing the carpet on my door panels and kick plates as well.  Luckily Clark's includes enough extra with their cut/sewn package to do just that.  Previous owner had put down a molded dark green loop that was definitely a different shade so redoing it all.

20170528_153808.jpg

It looks to me like the interior of your car is way more turquoise in shade than the stock

620 dark green interior so the carpet you got may not match the 620 carpet.......At least it looks that way on my

computer monitor. Here is the 620 in my car......looks quite a bit differentDSCN0228.thumb.JPG.be7648ca48b7142893497b3fa6a4caf6.JPGDSCN0228.thumb.JPG.be7648ca48b7142893497b3fa6a4caf6.JPGDSCN0228.thumb.JPG.be7648ca48b7142893497b3fa6a4caf6.JPG

Hi Alex,

The original carpets are molded. I have found ACC has the closest match to factory colors. When I called Clark`s attention to this I was told Clark`s does not do business with ACC. That is why your carpet does not match the original. Probably 100% nylon, which has a "shimmery" look, instead of the 80/20 loop. The only difference between custom and standard interiors re carpeting is the kick panels in the custom trim are carpeted and in the standard trim they are finished cardboard. You will need extra carpeting for the door bottoms and kick panels so be sure to consider this when ordering.

Tom

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, especially Tom, for your advice!

Looks like ACC is the best source.  Yes, the Clark's carpet I got is exactly as you describe - shimmery looking and definitely wrong in terms of color (much like the Moss Green sample below).

I went on the ACC website and selected 1965 Riviera - original "Loop" carpeting.  I then selected "Year Specific Colors".  This is the range of colors that appear.  Note that dark green is not included:

image.png.4bfdc1f1b64cecdccf859251dbefae2b.png

Does dark green not appear because this color was not available with a Standard interior?

Next, i selected "Show All Colors" with "Green" and got this selection:

image.png.7146aacbf9c1079375e5472615dd8115.png

Code 08 - Dark Green looks to be the best match to my stock TRIM 620 carpet.  But, colors on a computer monitor can deceive, so I'll request samples, to be sure.

Lastly, the website asks which backing I want.  The choices are:

image.png.ac0c71f66359c58f085b75a0dd83ea2c.png

Anyone know what "Mass Backing" is?  Why would I need mass backing?  Or, wouid  Standard backing be sufficient?

Thanks for sharing your experience.