Very loud clunk noise when shifting into reverse.

39mm

1963 Riviera with dynaflow. The universal joints are firm, no play in them. The center bearing support on the drive shaft is firmly bolted and not loose. The transmission mount is intact and firmly bolted. This loud clunk only happens when shifting into reverse but not when shifting into forward gear.

Has anyone run into this problem? Any guesses?

Thanks.

You backed into the garage door? ;)

You said you checked the u-joints; that was my problem when I encountered this.

Put it up on a rack or con one of your buddies to go under the car while you shift gears.  You can probably hear or feel the location pretty quickly.

Do you drive the car a lot?  There's some chance that it could be something internal sticking from disuse. It might also be slop in the reverse servo, but I don't now how much noise that would make.

25 minutes ago, EmTee said:

Excessive pinion lash?

Another thought -- could the yoke splines be binding on the transmission tail shaft?  It might be worth removing the drive shaft to really check all of the joints and grease the yoke splines.

If it was excessive pinion lash would it only make this noise in reverse? I have put the car in neutral with tires off the ground and turned the drive shaft back and forth by hand and there doesn't seem to be more than the normal amount of play in either direction.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

You backed into the garage door? ;)

You said you checked the u-joints; that was my problem when I encountered this.

Put it up on a rack or con one of your buddies to go under the car while you shift gears.  You can probably hear or feel the location pretty quickly.

Do you drive the car a lot?  There's some chance that it could be something internal sticking from disuse. It might also be slop in the reverse servo, but I don't now how much noise that would make.

When you had the problem with u-joints did the noise happen only in reverse?

The car has been parked for awhile but this noise was happening when I was driving it regularly.

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

I can't remember; it was quite a while ago.  It was a definite clunk, though.

You could try dropping the drive shaft to see if it goes away, but Id try easier stuff first -- like trying to locate it before you take anything apart

Yes easiest first but dropping the drive shaft seems like a good idea. I don't suppose it will fly out of control if it's stabilized in greasy hands. Or will it?

3 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I don't know. The last time I heard of clunking when engaging a gear,  the car had a cracked flex plate.  Hope that's not your case.

What happens if you put the transmission into low rather than drive? 

No clunk in the forward gears. As to the flex plate. Not sure but this noise seems to be coming from behind me rather than from below.

In my experience,  you can rarely figure out where a problem is by sitting in the driver's seat.  A friend of mine had a van that he swore had a bad rear u-joint in it.  He finally took it to a shop and they found a bad from the wheel bearing. Go figure. Sounds travel through metal and you hear them where the insulation is the thinnest.  Jack's van was a work truck that was well insulated and carpeted in the passenger's compartment but bare metal in the back.

You'll probably not find the source until you get it on a lift and can have someone listen from the outside.

Check the track bar bushings. The originals are 50+ years old now. Also look at the control arm bushings. If "someone" has had the car on a lift with the shocks disconnected and let the suspension travel farther than normal some rubber can be torn loose.

Bernie

Hello 39mm,

I have the Same issue with my 63. 

the noise is only with the car in normal operating temperature, not when cool.

I've read in the manual that this is kind of normal, if not excessive. But what is excessive ?

Regards

Frank