1965 Jack instruction decal

RivNut

I was looking at the jack instruction decals for the 1965 Riviera vs. the 1965 Riviera Gran Sport.  As far as I can tell the only difference lies in the tire inflation suggestions.  The non Gran Sport tag calls for 24 lb. for all four tires where as the the Gran Sport tag calls for 24 lb. front and 28 lb. rear.  Anyone know why?

Wow.......I had never heard that there was a separate decal just for the GRAN SPORT. The difference in tire pressure

is very puzzling.......I can't imagine the reason for that. If this is the case, perhaps the trunk decal would help to

verify if a car is a GRAN SPORT from the factory.

The Gran Sport usually carries more pretty gals in the back seat, so to keep the ride level the rear tires should be inflated more than the front.... :lol:

Seriously now... My first theory is that It may have something to do with the Gran Sport having been supplied with different tires from the factory as compared to the standard Riviera.  I recall reading that "special tires" were supplied with GS cars, but can't recall details now.

My 2nd theory is that most Gran Sports came with the H-2 Ride and Handling package.  That option included different shocks and springs (and arguable thicker sway bars?) and required differing tire pressures front and back for optimum vehicle handling.  

I'll bet our venerable guru Tom Mooney has the answer.   Tom?

I saw them on Classic Buick's website.  All of the jacking instruction decals are listed chronologically.

https://www.classicbuicks.com/buick_trunk_decals.html

You'll notice that 63 and 64 have different decals as well.  The 63 decal makes note of left hand threads on the left side of the car.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

jframe, where exactly was the original sticker located under your trunk lid?

When you raise the lid, it is slightly to the right of center and towards the rear of the lid, before it starts to curve down. I figure the factory put it there close to the trunk light so it could be easily read in the dark with the light.

20170808_165606.jpg

20170808_165611.jpg

Edited by jframe (see edit history)

Am I seeing this correctly... They want you to jack the car from the bumper??

What if you have a floor jack?  Do we have the car up on the pinch welds like you do a modern car?  Any info would be appreciated since I'm actually outside now trying to assess how much damage my oilpan got from the hit the previous week.

Yes, the factory jack was designed to raise the car by the bumper.

NO, do not use the body pinch welds to jack it, that is not a structural part for jacking. Get the jack either under the frame or under the lower control arm in the front.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hazdaz said:

Am I seeing this correctly... They want you to jack the car from the bumper??

What if you have a floor jack?  Do we have the car up on the pinch welds like you do a modern car?  Any info would be appreciated since I'm actually outside now trying to assess how much damage my oilpan got from the hit the previous week.

If you're not that familiar with tne nailhead sitting in the 1st generation Riviera chassis, you'll soon realize that the pan does not come off without raising the engine.  ?

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

jframe........thanks for the picture of proper placement of the decal. I am torn about putting the decal in the proper place

as it looks sloppy there because it doesn't fit the space it is in. The large opening off to the right is the logical place for it

as it fits and will lay flat there.That's where I have it now, but I guess I will move it to the proper location, as I am a purist.

I'm going to buy one of the decals that lists the GRAN SPORT as I believe that to be the correct decal for my February build date. 

7 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

jframe........thanks for the picture of proper placement of the decal. I am torn about putting the decal in the proper place

as it looks sloppy there because it doesn't fit the space it is in. The large opening off to the right is the logical place for it

as it fits and will lay flat there.That's where I have it now, but I guess I will move it to the proper location, as I am a purist.

I'm going to buy one of the decals that lists the GRAN SPORT as I believe that to be the correct decal for my February build date. 

Now that I know I can get one that IS correct, I may do the same. My car was built fourth week of June.

My '64 Riv. I bought new still has the original sticker in the same area. I know it's in the original factory location as I've NEVER removed the trunk lid or refinished the underside of the lid when the car was repainted in the early 70's.

Tom T.