Wiper Motor Shot

kclark

no, I don't sorry, the part was in boxes of parts when I bought the car and brought it home.   I just looked at my car and wiper motor,  it has three holes in the windshield frame, two on the outside for long screws that screw into the center threaded mounting holes, (the left one on yours is broken)   then the long stem comes through to the outside to fasten the wiper arm. on the inside of the car the other end of the shaft for the wiper arm has a little stub with a hole through it, I can only imagine that a short pin is in there to operate the wiper with your fingers when your going uphill ( and the engine vacuum is low)

If it were me, I would just "have a look at the problem" = take it to pieces to see if there is something I can do to get some function. The repairman might really mean " it will cost more than you are prepared to pay", or "more than a reasonable replacement would cost", i.e. it is probably not economic.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Spinneyhill said:

If it were me, I would just "have a look at the problem" = take it to pieces to see if there is something I can do to get some function. The repairman might really mean " it will cost more than you are prepared to pay", or "more than a reasonable replacement would cost", i.e. it is probably not economic.

I have looked into it, it seems pretty simple but I don't know enough about them. The problem it seems is this is very different from what most of you have. I may be wrong, but most are a "standard" trico half moon shape that is mounted inside.

I know that there is a piece of the pot metal broke where a bolt goes into that helps attach it to the window frame. I'm looking into possible solutions there.

If you can look at the seals on the pistons, they can probably be lubricated (or replaced). They may be of similar material to the Trico flapper blades and the same lubrication instructions would apply.

It is possible the cylinders are not the same shape as the pistons any more. You may be able to push them back into shape, carefully, with clamps, a jig and boiling water. The boiling water allows the metal to move slowly without breaking, with gradual tightening of the clamps, a little with each jug of boiling water poured over it. I would not be surprised if it has sagged a bit on the mounting bolts after all these years.

The metal may also have swollen with age as the zinc in it oxidises, seizing the pistons. That is much harder to fix.

I put the center stud through the hole, and threaded the chrome nut on just to see that it would fit in. it fits perfect. unless the hole had been drilled larger by a previous owner, I haven't modified it at all.  if I would have had to remove original Studebaker material just to take a picture, you wouldn't be looking at it!

terry

• Like 1

yes, I do have an owners manual, as well as a part manual reprint. I will check them out tonight.  the car I showed in the pics is a '26.  I also have more pics in a post I just put up this aft, now that I took some time to get onedrive figured out on my phone.   it works really well, and its a bizarre feeling to tap away on my phone and suddenly the pic is  on my computer screen.   the trico I showed in my pics is a spare I found in a box of auction stuff, I have no idea what car it originally came from.

terry

• Like 1

On 9/27/2017 at 7:32 AM, rbk said:

TRICO-FOLBERTH.JPG.77ed7a7ea3eba7170cd1c93e449b7eb3.JPG

I have a TRICO-FOLBERTH wiper motor for sale.

It is different from yours but maybe it is the original for yours.

Robert Kapteyn

studebaker@mac.com

The spacing between the two mounting holes   5  9/16"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/17/2017 at 4:20 PM, kclark said:

I am still in the market for a wiper motor, that is working, for my 1929 Dictator. The one that I had was mounted on the exterior of the windshield. Does anybody have one they can part with or know where I can get one?

Not sure if it is the same: see the Folberth wiper motor for sale in the Parts for Sale forum.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes there is a pin through it to hold it on.

Post a picture so I can see the adapter , you probably have to break the old adapter off , remove the pin and install a new adapter.

You can try to remove the pin but that seems to be a difficult task, the adapters are very brittle.

I have an assortment of different adapters , so if I see your picture ,I can identify it and see if I stock those.

Robert Kapteyn

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Robert

I was able to remove the pin  with my wife holding a piece of timber on the opposite side and tapping the pin out with a punch. It was not easy.

As I will be driving the car 3 or 4 thousand miles a year in modern traffic,  I will be replacing the wipers with an electric wiper motor and tandem wiper arms. I have done this successfully on two other Studebakers.

John