Opening '66 Riviera Trunk

jrbartlett

You could try removing the rear seat and the fiber board insulation barrier behind it (these are fragile) and with a very long socket extension remove the 2 bolts that retain the stationary latch receiver which I think are 7/16 heads. With those bolts removed it should allow opening trunk but I have never tried it.

Or just call the locksmith. Post back if you need instruction on removing the rear seat bottom and back. It takes 5-10 minutes once you know how to do it.

• Like 1

Quick question for you other 1966 owners.  Did the 66 come with a set of two different keys?  One for the doors and ignition and one for the trunk and glove box?  If so, and all your locks are original, wouldn't it be much easier to remove the lock cylinder for the glove box and take it to the locksmith's.  I had to have keys cut for my 64.  When I removed the lock cylinder for the glove box, the key code was stamped on it.  The locksmith had books that went back far enough that he could just cut a key from the code.

Ed, I did the same thing as well.  Took the glove box lock out and brought it to an old time locksmith shop.  I had the key in no time.  I had bought a complete 64 parts car back in 1991 that was sitting behind a garage for more than 20 years and had it brought home on a flat bed.  It was a restoration project that was started by the previous owner and was never finished.  He passed away and I bought it from the family who really didn't know much about the car.  I had a huge smile on my face after I opened the trunk.  It was full of NOS exterior trim still in the packaging that was purchased for the restoration.  It was like Christmas!

Regarding original 66 Riviera keys -- they did come with two different keys -- one for ignition, and one for trunk, glovebox, console and doors. We had a brand-new '66 back in the day. 

I also had a new '73, and got out of town one time without a trunk key. Dealer took out the glovebox lock and obtained the code number. I just didn't know if the same held true on a '66.

10 minutes ago, jrbartlett said:

Regarding original 66 Riviera keys -- they did come with two different keys -- one for ignition, and one for trunk, glovebox, console and doors. We had a brand-new '66 back in the day. 

I also had a new '73, and got out of town one time without a trunk key. Dealer took out the glovebox lock and obtained the code number. I just didn't know if the same held true on a '66.

Not trying to be smart but did you check to see if the vacuum release option is there?

Perhaps you are just browsing a new purchase?