GaryBudd

Driveshaft removal 1929 Desoto

In order to get the transmission out for repair I have to remove driveshaft. I've never done this before so before I do it wrong I'll ask.

Do you have an instruction book? There should be a cross section of the joint. If they are like my 1931 Dodge DH6, I first mark the flange at each end of the driveshaft so as to put it back in the same orientation. I remove the bolts on the rear flange and then from the front flange. Pull it back and out. It is fairly straight forward as to removal and of course, reverse the procedure. It may differ slightly on your car. If I recall, the front flange bolts are pretty difficult to get to since the handbrake drum is there, too.

• Like 1

If the set up is the same as a 29  Plymouth, the driveshaft has rubberized fiber disks instead of U-joints.  Does your car have the disks?  Maybe the bigger six cylinder motor made them too dangerous and they went with actual U-joints.  It will make a difference what you have.

• Like 1

No u joints. I think it is as Keiser31 said.If all goes right I'll know in the morning.Just  don't want to damage anything.Thanks to you both for the help.

Looks the same as 32.  As I said, my 29 Plymouth had flexible disks.  If this DeSoto has the disks, be sure to replace  them with fresh units.

have the driveshaft out,bolts removed from transmission.Hoped it come out but is firmly still attached to bell housing.Is there something else holding it? I have soaked the mating surfaces with penetrating oil. Don't want to break anything by helping with hammer.Thank you so much for your guidance. 

Assuming you have Spicer U-joints and not the rubberized fiber disks, this is how my driveshaft comes off. 

First, unscrew the cup piece the arrow is pointing to.  This contains a seal.  Once it's free, slide it back along the shaft (the sliver shaft behind it.)  If your shaft is rusty and covered in crud, clean it up before you slide the seal piece back or you'll destroy the seal inside.  It's probably a good idea to replace the seal in any case.

IMG_7327.thumb.jpg.9bd5f19696a2dfc06187a501c01c3354.jpg

This shot gives you a better idea of how the front of the driveshaft looks once it's off.  You can see that the seal holder also holds the front of the driveshaft in place.

IMG_3548.thumb.jpg.88a332d3ea6500790b54dda93a75694a.jpg

Now, you remove the six bolts and nuts from the rear U-joint.  The arrow points to the correct bolts.  You have to take the bolts completely out of the unit.  Once they are out,  push the driveshaft slightly toward the front, just a little, enough to clear the slight flange on the rear of the U-joint.  This will allow you to drop the driveshaft down clear of the rear axle.  Support the driveshaft so it doesn't drop too far down and put undo stress on the front U-joint.

IMG_7329.thumb.jpg.0f845f8dd87173f3216ea3155191bf0f.jpg

The back of the U-joint looks like this - notice the inner flange.

IMG_3543.thumb.jpg.e735a13c9a7de1409f72b6ef8af808df.jpg

Now, you can simply slide the driveshaft out of the front housing by pulling it toward the rear.  Once it clears the housing you have it out.  Here is a shot of the front housing which is part of the front U-Joint.  You can just see the threads for the seal cup piece you unscrewed at the start of the process.

IMG_3329.thumb.jpg.de4a35f400f9e090751d1187e0e51c8b.jpg

I hope this was some help to you.  Good luck!

Look up inside of the housing if there is an inspection cover.

I am not right familiar with these but I do know that Dodge uses lots of bolts to hold a transmission on.

It seems like one that I was working on years ago required me to bring the bellhousing with the tranny.

Did get the transmission out today.No surprise,broken collar and seized throw-out bearing.I've enclosed some photos.Next question,where do I go for replacement parts? Transmission casing shows T2C-1,throw out bearing shows Nice Ball Bearing CO. Newtown Philla. #5068.

DSCF2427.JPG

DSCF2429.JPG

DSCF2426.JPG

The broken front casting is pot-metal. the reason it shattered is the sad fact that the pot-metal swells up with age and trapped the throwout bearing.  Hit the clutch and Bam!, it's broken.  Finding a good one will not be easy, as most have already swollen and become useless with age.  I'm surprised no one is making replacement as this is a very common problem with these transmissions.  I'm not sure if my posting all the pictures is doing any good, so I'll reference my thread on the Dodge & Dodge Brothers site just below this site on the main page.  Under "The Resurrection of Daphne - a 1932 DL" you'll find a complete description of rebuilding the transmission, where I found the bearings and other general information that may help.  On the throwout bearing, you will have to take the actual bearing off the support (no easy job - I had to cut mine off - and replace it.  Any good bearing shop should be able to find you replacement bearings for the transmission.  Just bring in the bearings and they will match them up with modern replacements.

It starts at page 31 on my thread.

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)

I'd wager that the bearing is still in good working condition. The remains of the bearing retainer need to be removed, then clean it and check for play or grinding. As far as the retainer goes, lots of searching and posting a want ad are the best ways to get you back on the road. Try searching eBay for "Warner Bearing Retainer", I just did a quick search and there are two that look pretty close. You would need to contact the sellers and check the dimensions. Good luck.

Edited by richasco (see edit history)

Thanks to Keiser31,I contacted Jay Astheimer and it looks like he may be able to help me out.Very nice guy with quick response.I think I should start calling my car,our  car because without this group I  would be lost.

• Like 1