deck parts

Grant L. Meredith

Hi folks.  A embarrassing moment happened to our 28.  Got it running great and finally got up past highway speed first time since I bought it .  That's where it happened.  Right side of roof wasn't clamped properly to windshield post. Roof lifted up and left side held on for a couple seconds and then it unhooked and it slammed down in front of rumble seat are but folded up like I laid it there. Then during inspection I saw damage.:( Couple screws broke which is easy to fix but the 4 bars on the deck 3 broke from the roof impact.  Sigh.  I'm hoping someone has ideas on where to find 3 or 4 replacements I can buy.

Buick oops.jpg

Buick oops2.jpg

Buick oops3.jpg

Buick oops4.jpg

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

"up past highway speed"...how fast were you going when this happened?

On my 54CC I have the 4 bars installed 180 degrees from the way yours are installed.  I have seen several pictures of Buicks with them installed as you have them.

Are mine installed incorrectly?

Are they pot metal?  I hate to say it, but the best thing to do would probably to cast new ones, using the old parts as patterns, and get them chromed.  My chrome plater managed to reassemble the three pieces (pot  metal) of a decorative cowl spear on my 32 Dodge Brothers sedan.  It worked, and the piece looks brand new, but it lies flat on the cowl and is under no stress as your parts are.  Best of luck with this.

46 minutes ago, Taylormade said:

Are they pot metal? 

They are aluminum.

I had forgotten that I have an original photo of the model 54CC, and it clearly shows the irons installed the way I have them, opposite of the way they show on the 28 in question.

This may have contributed to the breakage, with the curled end taking the weight of the top at the far end near the rumble seat.

I wonder if a good welder could tig weld them back together, sand down the welds, and polish like new again?

2754CC Buick (1).jpg

2754CC Buick (200).jpg

20170923_152538.jpg

They would be cast aluminium. Mixed with different alloys. Hard to weld and harder to find a suitable filler rod of same composition. So that when polished shines at same colour. Something with higher silicone content will weld easier but many trails will need to be done to get same shade of metal for polishing. 

Casting and chroming may be more successful 

or cast in aluminium and polish 

Edited by 25 Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎23 at 1:47 PM, 27donb said:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

"up past highway speed"...how fast were you going when this happened?

On my 54CC I have the 4 bars installed 180 degrees from the way yours are installed.  I have seen several pictures of Buicks with them installed as you have them.

Are mine installed incorrectly?

I got it to 58mph.......which is "new" to us.  only owned the car for 2 years. When bought it did well to go around town.  Mine could be installed wrong.  What you see is how I bought the car.

Edited by Grant L. Meredith
added to response (see edit history)

25 Buick, please do not tell the folks at Harley-Davidson that aluminum cannot be plated.  It can be and is plated all the time for appearance.  It is better to polish it out on a motorcycle application.  Plating of aluminum engine parts on any motorcycle is like wrapping that turkey in the oven in aluminum foil.  It holds the heat in and cuts down on dissipation of the same.  Sorry about getting off topic a bit there, but aluminum can be plated.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

• Like 1

25 Buick, aluminum is a very porous material and when one polishes it to a high luster it will stay that way for quite a while.  Then it will begin to oxidize.  I have a set of wind wing brackets that are on my 1916.  They are cast aluminum and I had them polished out  to the point that they appear to be chrome plated.  I keep them looking freshly polished all the time by waxing and buffing them regularly.  If Grant has these parts recast in aluminum he can do the same thing with them - that is have them polished out and then keep them waxed and buffed.  This is why aluminum is plated in certain applications - to cut down on the continual maintenance of the surface.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas