Builders mark on a 1964 Riv

my first riv

Found this on the cowl behind the antenna access panel and just thought I'd share. Thought it was cool that it lasted so long since it looks like China marker. For those that don't know, marks like these are for quality control in the factories. It was this persons job to check something like the antenna wire was routed correctly or that it was connected before the cover was bolted on. Just a guess on that but seems feasible. These marks are still used but not initials anymore but dots of paint marker or a line. The closer the car gets to the finish line in a factory, more line workers have quality checks that they do and paint markers are the chosen medium because they aren't as easy to wipe off and won't leave a lasting mark on plastic when they are cleaned off at the dealer.

Cheers

Mark

IMG_4715.JPG

On 9/26/2017 at 12:23 AM, jsgun said:

I haven't found any on my Riv yet, but it still has several production stickers under the dash.

I found this on the backside of a dash from a 70's Eldorado at the local pick-a-part. Thought it was pretty funny.

caddybuildersmark.jpg

Little known fact...this QA guy went on to create what we now know as the modern day emoji.

Chris