1964 windshield

my first riv

Dunno if a used windshield would be much of an upgrade, as you'd be getting 50 years of scratches and pits in the deal.

You can get new ones, without/without tint, and with/without makers mark, etc.  The last time I looked, it was far more economical to order it through a local installer, as the shipping cost ended up being substantially less.

According to my notes Pilkington DW629 will do it.  You can order it through ProSource ($250 + $150 shipping).  Somewhere out there is (was?) a site which allows you to specify the options you want (tint, marks, etc.) and place your order directly.  Hint: shipping is a lot less if you order two.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

I bought one through Pilkington Glass last summer (Part # DW00629 GS6) for $250. They sent it to my installer as part of a regular shipment so it only cost me a $10.00 boxing fee. By the way, the replacement fit perfectly and even included the correct date code etching. Installation cost me $200 but I had removed the the trim, old windshield, gasket and prepped everything for reinstallation.  The installer used urethane adhesive applied from an electric-powered caulking gun and the results were excellent.

Here ya go:  

https://www.sandersreproglass.com/orderonline.php

CAR INFORMATION
Buick - 1965
HARDTOP COUPE 2 Door - Series 63-4747, 64-4747, 65-49447 Riviera Parts
FLAT GLASS PARTS Each Qty Total
Vent Front Door (Flat Glass) 8" x 14"
Material: Tempered 1/4" Solex (Light Green) 
Edgework: Pencil Grind 
Script Type: No Logo
$37.83 2 $75.66
Front Door (4 holes) (Flat Glass) 18" x 32"
$91.00 2 $182.00
Rear Quarter (Flat Glass) 16" x 20"
$61.67 2 $123.34
CURVED GLASS PARTS Each Qty Total
Windshield (Curved Glass) 30" x 64"
Pattern: DW629
Tint: GBN - Green tint glass with blue shade across the top
$280.00 1 $280.00
Back (Curved Glass) 18" x 50"
Pattern: DB3165
Tint: GTN - Green tint
$265.00 1 $265.00
All Sub Total: $926.00

3 hours ago, 48Super said:

I bought one through Pilkington Glass last summer (Part # DW00629 GS6) for $250. They sent it to my installer as part of a regular shipment so it only cost me a $10.00 boxing fee. By the way, the replacement fit perfectly and even included the correct date code etching. Installation cost me $200 but I had removed the the trim, old windshield, gasket and prepped everything for reinstallation.  The installer used urethane adhesive applied from an electric-powered caulking gun and the results were excellent.

I am curious.......in my experience when you use urethane from a caulk gun on 60's GM windshields rather than butyl tape, the urethane scooches out past

the stainless trim on the perimeter of the windshield, to the point where you can see it when you look through the windshield from the outside. Was the guy you used

to install it able to use urethane from a gun without this appearance problem? Personally, I've never seen anyone able to do that.

Here are a few things I can tell you about using urethane adhesive. First of all, the installer I had would not use butyl tape because he claimed it would create a liability issue for him. Apparently, the urethane adhesive is considered far superior to butyl tape as far a strength goes. In newer cars, the windshield is considered a structural element of the body and urethane adhesive is needed to maintain that integrity.

I saved pieces of the original windshield gasket material to show the installer how thick it was so that he could duplicate that thickness with the urethane. To get the right amount of adhesive, the installer trimmed a nozzle to a "V" shape and made a test application on a piece of scrap. Once he was satisfied, he applied a consistent bead around the opening.  When the windshield was installed, the adhesive deformed in a controlled way and the results were excellent. This is why I looked long and hard for a guy who had experience with 60's GM windshields. If you can find someone who knows what they are doing, you can get excellent results with urethane. 

Edited by 48Super (see edit history)
  • Like 1

In 2013 I bought a Pilkington windshield for my '64 Riviera from Prosource Glass http://www.prosourceglassintl.com/

I am pleased with it and last time I had the car out that crystal clear windshield kept me preoccupied. I installed it with a friend. Mostly I remember how well packed it was and the big crate it came in. I was going to ask my Daughter to slide it into the back seat of her Honda to save shipping. I can imagine her standing by that crate and crying now.

If I wasn't happy I could tell you , to the penny, how much it was. I forgot. That's the way it is when you get good stuff. I'm thinking $250 or so and maybe $125 for shipping. Richard Tankel runs the business and is a pretty friendly guy.

Bernie

002.jpg.ffca28732b7936bf3edaf2f00b456abe.jpg003.thumb.jpg.5b8ee99d85e0583e2c16904dfefdebb8.jpg

Problem with these repo windshields is they are thinner than original so the tape needs to be thicker. Measure the thickness of your original against the replacement BEFORE installing to make the nec. adjustments needed.

Too bad your on the other side of the country from me as I have three (3) OEM windshields in stock. AND I WILL NOT PACK & SHIP.

On 9/22/2017 at 1:16 PM, telriv said:

Problem with these repo windshields is they are thinner than original so the tape needs to be thicker. Measure the thickness of your original against the replacement BEFORE installing to make the nec. adjustments needed.

Too bad your on the other side of the country from me as I have three (3) OEM windshields in stock. AND I WILL NOT PACK & SHIP.

Hi Telriv,

I've  heard that before - that the repo glass is thinner.  Is this the case with reproduction side glass too?

Where are you located?  I ask because I may be interested in buying an OEM windshield to replace mine.  The one in my Riv is not the original - it was made by "SOLEX" and was installed prior to 1983 when I bought my car.  It is tinted and shaded, and also has a few pits and fine scratches from years of use.   Are your OEM windshieids made by LOF?  Where are you located?  If you're on the west coast, I could always drive to you and pick it up...  Finally how much would you want for one windshield? 

Thanks,

Here is the crate containing my windshield.

0033.jpg.87f9a3f6b3689b671b6d589ac23c8a17.jpg

0044.jpg.f070c86ebdf2053652b7d633a149dff6.jpg

Like I wrote, I got it from ProSource Glass and it was delivered by truck to a commercial address where four of us loaded it into my pickup for the rest of the ride home.

That is the Pilkington crate and well worth whatever part of the cost it represents.

Bernie

Hi Tom,

Thanks for replying.  We all get busy, no problem.

Looking at the Pilkington crate photo that Bernie posted I can see why you won't ship a windshield! 

I'm too far away to pick it up, so that's that.

Cheers,