Source to ID US Federal Government Classics?

CBoz

Hopefully someone here can help me:

According to production records, my 1938 Lincoln LeBaron roadster was delivered to Alexandria, VA with black paint and medium brown leather interior. There were only two special request: 1) to add a radio, and 2) to delete the passenger side armrest. In talking with the Benson Ford Research Center, I learned that FDR's Brunn convertible sedan "Sunshine Special" was also delivered to Alexandria, VA, and also had the medium brown interior and armrest deletes in the back.

Long story short, I suspect my car may have some connection to the U.S. Federal government, given its delivery location and configuration, but the Benson Ford has no records. I've seen pics of convertible coupes used as chase vehicles in presidential motorcades, but none of a car like mine. Does anyone know of any records of Full Classics purchased by the government?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2223.JPG

Edited by CBoz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cadillac Motor Car Company retained almost all of its original dealer invoices.  They are currently available through Allied-Vaughn in Livonia Michigan. 

The dealer invoice for our 1939 Limo indicates the buyer as US Government. So in the case of Cadillac, most vehicles can still be researched to a certain extent. 

• Like 1

There was a 1937 Lincoln Brunn convertible sedan used by the OSS for state events. I have never seen a two door car used for a official parade, I doubt the purchaser was the government, but maybe deliver to a agent, ambassador, or such using an address for some reason.........maybe taxes or just plain convenience of delivery. In 1932 Pierce Arrow provided seven V-12 open and closed cars for the president.......all at one dollar per year. This was an ongoing program that lasted into 1937. They were all large four door cars........some oversized from the stock 147 inch wheelbase.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, edinmass said:

There was a 1937 Lincoln Brunn convertible sedan used by the OSS for state events. I have never seen a two door car used for a official parade, I doubt the purchaser was the government, but maybe deliver to a agent, ambassador, or such using an address for some reason.........maybe taxes or just plain convenience of delivery. In 1932 Pierce Arrow provided seven V-12 open and closed cars for the president.......all at one dollar per year. This was an ongoing program that lasted into 1937. They were all large four door cars........some oversized from the stock 147 inch wheelbase.

I agree that two-doors weren't used for the dignitaries, but as this picture with a Ford convertible coupe shows, two-doors were used as chase vehicles. I'm thinking if they used a '37 Ford, then a '38 Lincoln is certainly possible. Given the color and trim and delivery location, it's a possibility, but I don't have any evidence at this point.

fdr_mortorcade.jpg

Edited by CBoz (see edit history)

At almost all locations, local dealership cars were sourced. It's common to see FDR in a five or seven year old car when a long distance from D.C. 

IMG_1868.PNG

IMG_1869.PNG

IMG_1872.PNG

IMG_1873.PNG

IMG_1876.PNG

IMG_1880.PNG

IMG_1884.PNG

IMG_1885.PNG

IMG_1886.PNG

IMG_1900.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

IMG_1999.PNG

IMG_2001.PNG

IMG_2011.PNG

On 10/8/2017 at 12:10 PM, CarFreak said:

Cadillac Motor Car Company retained almost all of its original dealer invoices.  They are currently available through Allied-Vaughn in Livonia Michigan. 

The dealer invoice for our 1939 Limo indicates the buyer as US Government. So in the case of Cadillac, most vehicles can still be researched to a certain extent. 

Yep, so at this point we can only guess at the car's history and it's all speculation until I can get something more from the Benson Ford Research Center or some other place. I'll keep digging ...