Are You Driving a 'Barn Find' That Still Looks 'Barn Found'?

Real Steel

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Surely that counts as much as any of these

interesting cars, Ed.  Is is a White?  A recent

resurrection, or one from quite some time ago?

If you'd care to tell us about the find in a 

paragraph or two, it would make an interesting story.

See the long thread in the general discussion .....the phone rang.........yes, it’s a White, just out of storage after 70 years.......

• Like 1

How about a 1929 Graham-Paige 827 Sedan.  The car was driven between Massachusetts and Minnesota when the second owner was in school to become a doctor (at least 3 time).  He stayed in Minnesota as a doctor, the car ended up in a shed in Wisconsin buried in fire wood.  Back on the road in the 80's, I bought it in 2006 and have been driving it ever since.  Original paint, original interior, great running car.  I have the original purchase contract, the owner stipulated in they teach him how to drive stick, he traded in a Model T, 1929 purchase price was $2250.

image.png.64df9a9f85bb64eeefbd4fff4bbe7c7e.png

• Like 9

As of August 2020 I have 3 "barn" cars. All of them were pulled out of barns in 3 far apart locations in Ontario

As they are only 50 yrs, 49 yrs, and 42 yrs old they may be too young for this audience. All of them run and drive, but stopping is an issue on 2. The other one I drove home over 2 hours in very hot temperatures but it didn't miss a beat after being parked for 20 years.

78vetstuf 018.jpg

• Like 3

41 Cadillac that a friend found in the early 80’s at a southern Iowa funeral home. Had 15 thousand miles. He used it to tour in several clubs and never owned a trailer. He lived in Atlanta and his last tour was a two week tour in Arizona. After the tour he came home through Canada. In 2001 he was going to start a frame off restoration and I convinced him to sell it to me and buy another 41 to restore Which he did. Now has 65 thousand miles and is original inside and out other than power steering which he installed after having rotator cuff surgery. I average about a thousand miles per year while touring. 

292ED000-70A7-4095-8E69-4AEC1520ACC9.jpeg

• Like 5

Here is an old original 1947 GMC dump truck that is still used around the farm.  I did need to replace all the rubber as it was scary rotten and bad, would hold air but that was it.  The new wheel color is original.  This old girls runs like a clock and early on, GMC was a working mans truck, larger engine and full pressure oiling, unlike the Chevrolet trucks.  It is fun to haul sunshine out to plow under for a corn crop.  The neighbors get a bang out of it also!  Does anyone note a problem???

Picture 1- Before new tires

Picture 2- after new rubber and repainted wheels

Picture 3- taken at dusk in front of an old school house that still stands a block from my home.

Al

DSC01079.JPG

DSC01307.JPG

IMG_20181113_165206572_HDR.jpg

Edited by alsfarms
clarity of thought (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I think I qualify for this topic...My '38 is a daily driver for 6 months of the year. When the weather is fair. It's appearance is the same as when I found the car. It's in half decent original shape. I have been working through all the mechanical systems in the car. It's now proven reliable. So far I've put over 1,000 miles on it, this maiden year since I took ownership. It smelled badly of must and mold when I bought it. That took about 6 months of garage storage to go away. I keep it mainly stock. I added a hidden USB charger for my phone. Also  a 6V back up fuel pump if needed.  Dual relays for the headlights. Mostly all new wiring with a small fuse panel. Other than that it's old, stock stuff. Everything works! Just 1 vacuum wiper motor to rebuild, then I know I'd easily pass an in-depth safety inspection.

I can't quite say why but a lot of younger folks seem attracted to the car. I'd guess because it appears right off the farm? It's approachable somehow to them? Just a guess. Maybe because it looks out of time and place, yet cruises on by like it did when it was new?  I'm not sure why but there definitely seems to be a group of kids from ages 15-30 who are quite into whatever it is, that my car represents.

IMG_5912 (1).jpg

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Just found this great thread and I have a candidate. My 1934 Chevy DC Standard 3-window coupe was bought new by Gilda Hall in Neceda, WI and driven until 1952 when it was parked in the barn with 36,802 miles accumulated. It stayed there until 1975 when it was purchased and moved to storage in Florida but never driven. It was then purchase again in 1993 and moved to storage in Ohio. The third owner planned to hot rod it but decided instead to preserve its originality. In 2009 he went through the entire car mechanically including rebuilding the engine and brought it to very nice driving condition while leaving all visible finishes alone and even "seasoning" some new parts to match their surroundings. I bought it just under a year ago and have replaced the tires and battery plus some standard maintenance but intend to continue its preservation and enjoy driving it. It now has 38,084 miles accumulated.

2.JPG

4.JPG

6.JPG

8.JPG

13.JPG

18.JPG

49.jpg

55.jpg

57.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2017 at 2:34 PM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Great thread!  Heres mine.  Good bones but last restoration probably 50 years ago.  They did remove the body I think,  despite its failing now the paint job was very thorough.   Replacement interior and a great but tattered white top.  

Cannot decide to restore or leave it.  If anyone is interested in giving an opinion I am considering 3 approaches;

1) leave as is, and focus only on mechanical upgrades & maintenance 

2) restoration to as found colors etc.

3)restoration to 30 Standard roadster specs

Engine is a 31, color is not correct for a Standard so it's not a Virgin like some of the others on this thread.  

20170106_132733.jpg

My vote is option # 1.

On 9/25/2017 at 9:41 PM, Ovalrace25 said:

And this one: My Trabant P-50. Really ratty, but it won at the Concours d'Lemons a few years ago.

Card Total Photos 1-2012 403.jpg

I have a piece of a Trabant, found in the former East Gemany.  It looks         to be a "Masonite" type body material. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

My vote is option # 1.

Thanks Paul.  3 years later that is option taken thus far.  We have done just about everything mechanically, except engine, which runs like a bear.  Next plans are to drive! 🙂

I do have several barn find vehicles but I do not have a barn nor a large building. I only have a garage, therefore I collect motorcycles. If barn find means leaving pigeon shit and dirt on them, I do not have barn finds. I have three motorcycles that have factory paint on them and I did clean them. I replaced cables, as they did not slide. I changed tires as they were dated and rotten. I did redo the carbs and change oil. I did clean and wax existing paint just so they would no longer degrade. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, john schlachter said:

I do have several barn find vehicles but I do not have a barn nor a large building. I only have a garage, therefore I collect motorcycles. If barn find means leaving pigeon shit and dirt on them, I do not have barn finds. I have three motorcycles that have factory paint on them and I did clean them. I replaced cables, as they did not slide. I changed tires as they were dated and rotten. I did redo the carbs and change oil. I did clean and wax existing paint just so they would no longer degrade. 

No pictures?

We want pictures, at least I know I do!

• Like 3

On 9/24/2017 at 10:41 PM, Ovalrace25 said:

OK, No Still Shots for me-- A video to show it really does run! 

My vote is to keep it as is, but make the engine run smoother and quieter like a Packard should.  Then start looking for the back half of a boatail

body in the same patina.  Then just enjoy it and maybe take it on a Packard tour.

• Like 1

1912 T that has been in storage for many years that I bought from the original family thanks to this forum. Extensively redoing the drive line only and leaving the original factory one of a kind trailer hitch on. I have a two speed axle that I plan to swap in and hoping the hitch will fit back on.  

2018-04-08 1912 T 007.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Another of my original finds.  Found in a Florida trailer park, 1989.  The owner went to a nursing home and the park owner bought the car and the ladies trailer cheap.  I bought it from the trailer park owner who had put a 12 vo;t battery in it.  (Had the brightest lights I ever saw

on a VW, but it turned over fast when starting).   The owner had rubbed al the fenders on the carport posts, but a little paint, a new 6 Volt battery

and radial tires that made it drive like a sports car and I was happy.  Have used it on AACA Founder's tours since 1989. 

Failed HPOF due to radial tires and window stickers, like "Genuine VW oil dripper" and a sticker in German that said, "When I grow up I want to be a Cadillac" and several others.  it's a 1966 VW Bug, last of the 6 Volt VW's exported to the USA.   I call it my high performance german sports sedan.

974471251_VWFounders.thumb.jpg.2565ad4be2570405ec70179b05531da0.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spilling earors (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1925 Harley JD + sidecar.

When I got this from a buddy a few years ago it had been in his basement, apart, for 40 years.  He gave me specific instructions not to clean off any of the "Yukon dirt" that was hardpacked around the lower frame.  But I did and there was beautiful original paint there.

IMG_7584a.jpg

Edited by PFindlay
added info (see edit history)
  • Like 6

1923 Ford T Roaster/Pickup with after market Martin-Parry deck. Barn stored in PA from 1946 until mid 1980's. Original paint, upholstery and glass. Top material is embossed with Ford script "F".

It came with the turtle deck, original tools, jack and handbook.  The only replaced items are tires, tubes, radiator hose, fan belt and battery. Shipped to England in 2018 and now carefully conserved

to preserve the wonderful originally.   

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2020 at 5:04 PM, edinmass said:

Does this count? 

3E272727-1DD7-4E8C-8DED-29FAB90957F1.jpeg

Yes, it counts! Now that you have driven it around the parking lot and soon, maybe today will be

driving it on public roads.   This 1917 White with it's own thread is a prime example of driving them

in "original as found condition".  We all applaud your efforts !

• Like 3

Sorry for being late but I just found the photos today and had to digitize them. A retired attorney from my wife’s home town would come to my office for a yearly check up beginning in the late 80’s. Every year he would tell me about his great Cadillac that I should buy from him. Every year my reply was “when you arrive at a price and are ready to sell call me”. Interesting he didn’t know what year or model it was. About 5 or 6 years after our initial discussion he left a message with my wife “tell doc to get his a— down here and buy my car or I am going to sell it to a neighbors who wants to hot rod it”. It had been sitting in his private airplane hanger for 18 years after acquiring it in lieu of an unpaid legal bill. When he titled it he wrote the mileage on the title and had put 110 miles on it in 18 years. It is 100% original 

CD2B5F76-BC5C-473C-B1D8-4A4FDC64DA62.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

My '40 Packard 110, 30 years in this barn at our house. Bought it when I was 28, thought I'd work on it over a few years and have it done. Ah, the naivety of my 20's.  Two kids and a business later, I bought a completed '37 115C that had been restored, driven for 15 years, and then parked for 10.  Have put a ton of work into that one and will dig deeper into the '40 this spring.  This past summer just to get to a point where it could, in theory, with luck and prayers, "run" again, I rebuilt the brakes and fuel system and inventoried the rest of the work that'll be needed.  I'm sure it'll be an engine rebuild or a swap with a '46 engine I have, some necessary bodywork (repairing cracked fenders and some bad rust), floors, some of the glass, and I'll put a new interior.  I'm fairly certain that the current engine has several stuck valves, if not Far Worse Things. Not too interested in a full repaint though. That patina is 80 years in the making. The repaired fenders/body will be painted with matching paint, and likely I'll patina the new paint to match. 

40 Packard in Barn.jpg

LF.jpg

20190831_192004.jpg

Sort of, this 1960 Pontiac Bonneville has been in the family since new (see my other thread about it).  It was parked from 1981 when my great-great Aunt passed (original owner) then it went to my grandfather (2nd owner).  He had it but rarely drove it from 81 to 92 or 93 when he parked it in a garage under a car cover.  He passed in 2010 but I went to pick it up in August 2016 (garage belonged to a family friend).  So, I'm the 3rd owner, all in the family, and it has about 87,500 original miles.  It has the typical Park Rapid, MN rust, but not too bad.  I did put a set of disc brakes up front (could never adjust the front drums properly) and some seals in the transmission.  I did a wash, buff, and wax.  That's it.  

IMG_4078.thumb.JPG.6dc668b9b203db343f992e1aca71a07b.JPG

Here she is in February 1963 out in Wyoming with my G-G Uncle, Hugh Woodford (original owner).

Bonnie.thumb.jpg.1649fff01715cbea4c6e9d2b84f7e871.jpg

Edited by AURktman (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I bought this 1925 Harley + sidecar from a friend.  It had sat in his basement for about 40 years and still had Yukon mud caked all over it.  He was disappointed when I cleaned it all off, but I found some great original paint underneath.  Along with the original paint it has "original" dents and rust.  It draws a crowd even when there are lots of shiny vehicles around.

64749506_1925Harley-Davidson.thumb.jpg.80e702cbb71b8f51a873b1c4290defee.jpg

Edited by PFindlay (see edit history)
  • Like 5

This ‘63 Spyder had NH plates from the 80’s and sat in this isolated “lien to”, as my dad called it, until I drug it home with me last June. His ‘48 Jeepster Jack bought had sat about that long also. 

I feel like all my dad’s cars were barn finds because he forgot he had them due to his Alzheimer’s and I didn’t know he had so many. Some had more dust then others, but all had been sitting between 5-40 years. I discovered his second barn or garage more then a week after I got there and it had several cars in it also. Here are a few pics of how I found some. Aside from washing them and some assembling of the projects, I didn’t do much to them before selling them. 

EDD6E4FE-D19D-40D5-BDD9-C7C18D52CCCE.jpeg

73E41531-C1E2-42E1-BF44-7B22083D16C2.jpeg

9583B8A3-7532-41D5-8EE0-CEB4A2049A37.jpeg

F1B2C7DD-70EA-4CDA-A336-CAA35FD4EB18.jpeg

BB81BDA2-6C8E-43DF-9D79-7DECBE5FBEE9.jpeg

8C9A1CAC-CA54-47FE-A5EF-158A3C78F1C6.jpeg

56B537BE-28E8-4DF2-B764-DDEF3B2630C0.jpeg

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2017 at 10:21 AM, dei said:

Saw this for the first time last night.

The owner said it has 80,000 miles on it, is considered a heavy half tonne, found it's way here from Oregon 15 years ago but was sold here originally so came back.

He said he plans to keep her as it is and loves driving it almost daily.

IMG_2239.thumb.JPG.8424345514fdfdcfa8137c685e5bc82a.JPG

IMG_2240.thumb.JPG.ff95262f830839c09e42affedf5e9e84.JPG

IMG_2241.thumb.JPG.c725bcd26b24cb58aa454ff6162f41e9.JPG

For those who are not familiar Tillsonburg is a small town in southwestern  Ontario Canada. Quite a way from Oregon.

• Like 2