Real Steel

Are You Driving a 'Barn Find' That Still Looks 'Barn Found'?

Thanks to all that posted photos of their driving 'Barn Finds'.  Its great to see so many!

It looks like there aren't many 'Barn Finds' here in southern California...not a big surprise I guess.  It's mostly new cars, restorations, rods, rats, and customs; that's how they roll here.

• Like 1

And this one last week.. I hope to get more info about it. Not much solid info yet---  Any help out there?  Builder's plate says Oregon Oldsmobile Company. 

WP_20170924_002[1].jpg

• Like 3

I touch mine up with a brush when I get nicks.

Batavia1.thumb.JPG.af492a6729dde521a24fe8936486e91e.JPG

The left front fender has some spots that look like the battery blew up once and shot acid all over. I picked up a quart of white lacquer to paint it, but after 16 years I'm a little hesitant to risk a two tone white on white car.

Bernie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OK-- Here is another one of my cars. Was up on jack stands when I went to look. Had battery problems, dried out tires and the interior is really SHOT. But after electrical sorting out, tires (a used set from another car)  and brakes, it runs like a --- well -- Like a Cadillac

WP_20151212_005[1].jpg

• Like 2

And then there is this 1941 Cadillac. Found in an old garage with the transmission not working. No brakes, tires shot. and one rear spring broken. I had a bunch of spare parts ready to go. A few days later and some old blankets over the seats and I was cruising.

Card Total Photos 1-2012 984.jpg

• Like 3

OK-- You have me going here. This is the 1922 American LaFrance I talked the City Fire Department out of. They even delivered it! YES, I got it running.

American LaFrance ldng City Yard 11-21-11.JPG

• Like 2

What next? Got 5 cars in this deal- That 57 Buick cleaned up fantastic! Plan was to keep two cars out of this deal. Got carried away and kept only one... oops But the Plymouth is in the hands of a guy that got it for his wife to drive around town. She LIKES the car.

Card Total Photos 1-2012 1441.jpg

• Like 2

OK---- Another one: This 1960 Rambler Town and Country station wagon was a "one owner" that had been in the garage of the little old lady that passed away. Seems that someone that ended up with the house pushed the car outside where it sat neglected for years. Last registered in 1971. I saw it when I was in the neighborhood and was able to bring it home. There are ZERO dents in this thing and the interior is well-----quite saveable.... Engine was stuck, so I rebuilt it. But the original condition is going to be difficult to change.. I want the next owner to see how straight this car is.

WP_20170925_006[1].jpg

• Like 2

It still looks as found! This was a fair exhibit at the Lane County Historical Museum, trash as a prop! there were added body parts to replicate a depression junk yard. I did add a rear fender and got it running well. 59c9d9de7294e_foundT.jpg.b21efdb289842c60ce995babbae8b513.jpg

as found.jpg

found T.jpg

DSC01798.JPG

Edited by JFranklin
added thoughts (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Saw this for the first time last night.

The owner said it has 80,000 miles on it, is considered a heavy half tonne, found it's way here from Oregon 15 years ago but was sold here originally so came back.

He said he plans to keep her as it is and loves driving it almost daily.

IMG_2239.thumb.JPG.8424345514fdfdcfa8137c685e5bc82a.JPG

IMG_2240.thumb.JPG.ff95262f830839c09e42affedf5e9e84.JPG

IMG_2241.thumb.JPG.c725bcd26b24cb58aa454ff6162f41e9.JPG

• Like 3

My '59 Chevy wasn't a "barn find" exactly but it could have as well been....... :blink:

A '59 Biscayne with the straight 6 and three on the tree was my first car and this Bel Air is equipped with the same.

Even by 1967 the rear floor pans had holes and the front fenders has some rot above the headlights.

Knowing that much I had a pretty good idea as to what to expect when the car arrived but I had done a "live interview" with the seller, besides some photos, so knew quite a bit before I pulled the trigger.

I have way more in it than I will EVER get out of it but I don't care.

I spent a LOT making it a SAFE driver and it is my favorite vehicle to drive ever.

I  :wub: driving this car!

DSC_0014.JPG

• Like 3

As found with barn/shed behind it six weeks ago, and today, on the road for the first time in almost forty years. We haven't even washed it yet.

IMG_5839.JPG

IMG_3687.PNG

• Like 5

I came across these barn finds past spring and they are still there. The last one is an Essex boat tail speedster and one of the others is supercharged. They are actually in a barn also.

2017-02-27 cord 007.JPG

2017-02-27 cord 003.JPG

2017-02-27 cord 014.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This thread is incredible and wonderful.   I've enjoyed seeing all these unrestored cars.   They remind me of the current exhibit at the AACA museum concerning barn finds.   My thanks to all you you.

Rog

• Like 2

My 1937 Ford was in continuous storage for about 50 years.  Was in storage with 2nd owner from 1963 to 1990 when his estate sold the car to the 3rd owner.  The third owner had so many cars and trucks that he had no time for the 1937 Ford--it remained in a warehouse for sure from 1990 to 2012 when his estate sold the car to me.  I got the car running in 2013. 

The car was really filthy -- I cleaned the car up a lot.  Inside and out and underneath.  Looks good now.  I am going to leave it as is. 

13247849_813933038742535_8308099167093441702_o_thumb_jpg_ecd14bcea03cef6e5491a1393eeba6bb.jpg

DSCF0317.jpg

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, RPrice said:

This thread is incredible and wonderful.   I've enjoyed seeing all these unrestored cars.   They remind me of the current exhibit at the AACA museum concerning barn finds.   My thanks to all you you.

Rog

I agree. 

There have been no tricks, only treats!  :D

I can't wait to see what follows...

• Like 1